I just updated my ipod touch (although I am now using my 9900 as my main music player). Just set up my icloud account and I must say it is pretty cool! Blackberry Protect does location and wiping on the phone but with icloud you automatically get 5gb of storage which would eliminate my dropbox & sugarsync. You can also enter Calendar appointments and view iworks files. Blackberry needs to advance Blackberry Protect to a Blackberry Cloud. I know I can sync my Playbook and Blackberry together but what if I could also you my laptop and desktop. I'm getting excited thinking that Blackberry may have something like this up their sleeves. Let's see what this week brings us!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-16-11 07:34 PM
    It would be an excellent idea.

Google's done a great job with Google music in that I can stream all my music from my phone, or laptop, or desktop, or a friend's laptop, desktop, etc. The cloud/sync is what I really like about google with contacts and calendars and music and etc.
    Pilchard likes this.
    10-16-11 07:57 PM
    My wife's iPhone is synced up to iCloud and there is only 2gb available from the free 5gb they offer you. After that you start paying
    10-16-11 11:19 PM
    I just updated my ipod touch (although I am now using my 9900 as my main music player). Just set up my icloud account and I must say it is pretty cool! Blackberry Protect does location and wiping on the phone but with icloud you automatically get 5gb of storage which would eliminate my dropbox & sugarsync. You can also enter Calendar appointments and view iworks files. Blackberry needs to advance Blackberry Protect to a Blackberry Cloud. I know I can sync my Playbook and Blackberry together but what if I could also you my laptop and desktop. I'm getting excited thinking that Blackberry may have something like this up their sleeves. Let's see what this week brings us!
    No they don't, you are wrong in my opinion. I can never understand why folk want to store their data this way, I feel a good hack coming on.
    10-17-11 02:33 AM
    seriously. does your mum always asked you to be like your brother/sister?
    10-17-11 02:50 AM
    No,no and no. STOP ASKING RIM TO IMITATE APPLE ALL THE TIME!. Its people like you that RIM listened to and ended up making a fool out of itself by imitatin Apple. BlackBerry's are perfect as they are they just need better marketing and trustworthy servers.
    OP made a good suggestion. BlackBerry phones are great, but NOT perfect. RIM needs to look forward, not backwards. That's innovation, my friend.

Anyway, cloud storage has inherent risk, so it is not advisable to rely on it completely for data storage. Cloud is useful for convenience's sake so you can retrieve information OTA, and that's about it.
    10-17-11 03:57 AM
    You may have an even more easier way when Blue Tooth will work over the BB Desktop. Each time your PB is in range of BT, the sync could run (as you scheduled it) in background on your desk/lap top ... no cable, no pain !

But for the cloud, I do agree and like. I even go further.
    Future is there for multimedia, storage and professional software (against degraded apps) as it will certainly very soon for social networking, gaming ... even if this frightens me more than a bit (all my data in one's hands ... brrr ...).
    10-17-11 04:29 AM
    OP made a good suggestion. BlackBerry phones are great, but NOT perfect. RIM needs to look forward, not backwards. That's innovation, my friend.

Anyway, cloud storage has inherent risk, so it is not advisable to rely on it completely for data storage. Cloud is useful for convenience's sake so you can retrieve information OTA, and that's about it.
    Unfortuately not everybody has the forsight that you suggest, resulting in increased dependency for data control, I worry about the integrety of those holding all this info. There is a reason why Banks don't use the internet and storage for internal operation.

I agree with you that it is a convenience and note how this could seduce folk into dependancy.
    10-17-11 04:33 AM
    No,no and no. STOP ASKING RIM TO IMITATE APPLE ALL THE TIME!. Its people like you that RIM listened to and ended up making a fool out of itself by imitatin Apple. BlackBerry's are perfect as they are they just need better marketing and trustworthy servers.
    apple has nothing to do with the birth of CLOUD !
    They just jumped into a DRASTIC strategic change IBM successfully initiated maybe 10 years ago. So joining the party is nothing more than offering a (un-mandatory) functionality that will meet both public and business users (with corporate servers).
    Please remember cloud is NOT ONLY about storage: it also delivers CPU !

So, public cloud for play, enhanced BES with cloud capabilities ... what can we dream more effective ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-17-11 at 04:41 AM.
    10-17-11 04:38 AM
    This is not copying Apple. Clouding is something everybody needs. RIM is already acquiring cloud based companies:

RIM aquires cloud-based scheduler Tungle.me | CrackBerry.com

RIM to buy Irish cloud software firm NewBay | Mergers and Acquisitions | ZDNet UK
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-17-11 04:46 AM
    apple has nothing to do with the birth of CLOUD !
    They just jumped into a DRASTIC strategic change IBM successfully initiated maybe 10 years ago. So joining the party is nothing more than offering a (un-mandatory) functionality that will meet both public and business users (with corporate servers).
    Please remember cloud is NOT ONLY about storage: it also delivers CPU !

So, public cloud for play, enhanced BES with cloud capabilities ... what can we dream more effective ?
    Windows phone 7 isn't "un-mandatory". I thought we were supposed to be making progress, all this is, is a return to main frame computing of yesteryear only difference is that there are no wires
    10-17-11 04:54 AM
    Windows phone 7 isn't "un-mandatory". I thought we were supposed to be making progress, all this is, is a return to main frame computing of yesteryear only difference is that there are no wires
    Absolutely, wrote that a few weeks ago already.
    Resulting on distant devices focused on connectivity and display, lower electric consumption, less components ... this also meets ecological reflection, costs reduction and raise of reliability. Many aspects to be thought ...
    Progress is not always re-inventing the wheel.

Grand'ma : "Old pots makes better jam".
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-17-11 at 05:12 AM.
    10-17-11 05:10 AM
    Absolutely, wrote that a few weeks ago already.
    Resulting on distant devices focused on connectivity and display, lower electric consumption, less components ... this also meets ecological reflection, costs reduction and raise of reliability. Many aspects to be thought ...
    Progress is not always re-inventing the wheel.

Grand'ma : "Old pots makes better jam".
    I agree that the inovation in the technical ability of our new devises has huge benifits, I am however referring to psychological dependency on cloud technology, not that it is a bad thing used sensibly, but more that it will be the only method for many services and will become mandatory by default.
    Lets also not forget the effect on our eco system of some of the assumed innovative cost cutting products in development. BTW I like progress but not at any cost.
    10-17-11 07:23 AM
    iCloud for BB is coming out. The name becomes xCloud. It looks pretty promising......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 07:28 AM
    No they don't, you are wrong in my opinion. I can never understand why folk want to store their data this way, I feel a good hack coming on.
    Right, I don't like to remotely store files, if I want to share them then yeah I'll put them on Photobucket or Dropbox but otherwise no I'll keep them locally on my PC or laptop or device. But cloud storage is the future, pretty soon we'll be accessing EVERYTHING via a remote location, which is a hacker's wet dream.
    10-17-11 07:45 AM
    Right, I don't like to remotely store files, if I want to share them then yeah I'll put them on Photobucket or Dropbox but otherwise no I'll keep them locally on my PC or laptop or device. But cloud storage is the future, pretty soon we'll be accessing EVERYTHING via a remote location, which is a hacker's wet dream.
    I just read this on the net.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/world-facin...095708609.html

""Criminals use these to harvest passwords and other sensitive data from smartphones or computers - often giving their Wi-Fi hotspots fake names familiar to punters at cafes and in airports.

Many smartphones are set up to automatically leap on to available Wi-Fi hotspots and start downloading emails.
    Others will ask first. But who would turn down "free Wi-Fi"?

Mr Hart has set up his fake Wi-Fi hotspot in a car outside a cafe.
    My phone picked it up and I chose to jump on his Wi-Fi link. In seconds, he was able to read my email passwords and decrypt my "secure" login details for Twitter.
    He already knew my IP address, the unique address for my iPhone. So he was "spear phishing" me, aiming only to harvest my data.

"With the right equipment I could do this in a two or three mile radius... I conducted an attack against you and pretty much everything you were doing on your smart phone, I was able to essentially compromise all your passwords," Mr Hart explained.

Forty per cent of mobiles sold this year have been smartphones - and this has been a bumper year for malware developers who have focussed their attention on smartphones.

Those running Google's Android system have been especially targeted.
    Bitdefender's Catalin Cosoi said: "We have investigated applications for Android devices and basically, based on our statistics, we've seen a 2,000% increase of malicious applications compared to the last year... Our prediction is that in the following six months, we will have a 6,000% increase in malicious applications."

"Once you have a smartphone, you probably can't go back to an older version of a phone now that you have access to a computer, social media, emails, pictures and so on. You sort of get addicted, so smartphones are becoming very important," Mr Cosoi added.""

This is not the whole read, see above link.
    Will folk wake up???? It's happening (but it won't happen to me )
    10-17-11 09:32 AM
    It's not imitating Apple at all. Cloud services have been around since the late 90s. And you choose what you want saved into the cloud. We're not talking about throwing out our banking information in the cloud for anyone to access.

Here's what I'm talking about-
    Google music uses the cloud so that you can store your music in one location and access it from anywhere you can log into your google account (or have the google music app on your mobile device)

Picasa stores your pictures so that you can view them anytime you want when you log into your picasa account.

So using Picasa and google music, I save a ton of room on my SD card.

I use google docs to save all my documents. I can write class lectures and notes and give my students the address to where these lectures and notes are stored and they can access them. Shouldn't we progress in the mobile and technology world? Would it be better if I had to stand at a copier and print out hundreds of printed notes for the students? Would it be better to save these notes to a word document and then save them to an email account rather than them being saved automatically.

Essentially what you're staying is RIM should stay the same despite consumer demands and just up the security. I don't think the security is an issue as RIM touts itself as being the most secure. If the consumers want to be able to do X and Y, then RIM should listen to the people that are purchasing their products and keeping their business in business.

I'm not sure about others but why anyone would just jump on an anonymous wifi hotspot is beyond me. I realize we all don't have unlimited data (one reason I won't change my plan so I don't lose this) but to just jump on any open wifi spot is asking for trouble.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 10-17-11 at 09:45 AM.
    10-17-11 09:42 AM
    I'm not sure about others but why anyone would just jump on an anonymous wifi hotspot is beyond me. I realize we all don't have unlimited data (one reason I won't change my plan so I don't lose this) but to just jump on any open wifi spot is asking for trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think the problem is that not all people are as wise as you and they do not realise they have jumped onto a hot spot, it can and does happen without knowledge.

You also mention your students, I'm sure you could "USB" them (word docs, not students) into the school system for printing, at least you know they have them. I think the point I'm trying to make here is that the "system" is only as strong as the weakest link, that could be a student with your contact details.
    I work in heath in the UK, we preferr centalised on site record keeping, if there isn't an issue why would we do that.
    10-17-11 10:09 AM
    You also mention your students, I'm sure you could "USB" them (word docs, not students) into the school system for printing, at least you know they have them. I think the point I'm trying to make here is that the "system" is only as strong as the weakest link, that could be a student with your contact details.
    I work in heath in the UK, we preferr centalised on site record keeping, if there isn't an issue why would we do that.
    I cracked up at the thought of "USBing" my students.

Are you saying to pass around a USB that the notes are saved on? I thought about that. But doing it this way is close to just saving the notes on a dropbox account and giving the students my students to go to my dropbox files and print them out.

But I do understand what you're saying.
    10-17-11 10:15 AM
    RIM does have an iCloud like product. It is called BES.

The combination of iCloud and gmail via EAS is giving me BES functionality for free vs the $20 a month BES would cost me.
    10-17-11 10:18 AM
    I cracked up at the thought of "USBing" my students.

Are you saying to pass around a USB that the notes are saved on? I thought about that. But doing it this way is close to just saving the notes on a dropbox account and giving the students my students to go to my dropbox files and print them out.

But I do understand what you're saying.
    I guess I was just thinking about a paper copy, origin "tree". I was wondering, what would happen to all the sustainablely grown trees when we don't need paper. Wood (excuse the pun) they all be cut down and then they woodn't absorb co2 to give us o2 which wood increase greenhouse gasses and warm the planet so we all drowned, and all because of a cloud. therefore cloud = wet = drowning
    Just a bit of fun
    10-17-11 10:35 AM
    I guess I was just thinking about a paper copy, origin "tree". I was wondering, what would happen to all the sustainablely grown trees when we don't need paper. Wood (excuse the pun) they all be cut down and then they woodn't absorb co2 to give us o2 which wood increase greenhouse gasses and warm the planet so we all drowned, and all because of a cloud. therefore cloud = wet = drowning
    Just a bit of fun
    Oh! Well we'd cut 'em down to make more Walmarts of course!
    10-17-11 11:06 AM
    Oh! Well we'd cut 'em down to make more Walmarts of course!
    I just love that
    10-17-11 12:28 PM
    You're kidding right?
    ADGrant likes this.
    10-17-11 12:38 PM
    I just read this on the net.

World Is Facing A Wave Of Cyber Crime - Yahoo!

""Criminals use these to harvest passwords and other sensitive data from smartphones or computers - often giving their Wi-Fi hotspots fake names familiar to punters at cafes and in airports.

Many smartphones are set up to automatically leap on to available Wi-Fi hotspots and start downloading emails.
    Others will ask first. But who would turn down "free Wi-Fi"?

Mr Hart has set up his fake Wi-Fi hotspot in a car outside a cafe.
    My phone picked it up and I chose to jump on his Wi-Fi link. In seconds, he was able to read my email passwords and decrypt my "secure" login details for Twitter.
    He already knew my IP address, the unique address for my iPhone. So he was "spear phishing" me, aiming only to harvest my data.

"With the right equipment I could do this in a two or three mile radius... I conducted an attack against you and pretty much everything you were doing on your smart phone, I was able to essentially compromise all your passwords," Mr Hart explained.

Forty per cent of mobiles sold this year have been smartphones - and this has been a bumper year for malware developers who have focussed their attention on smartphones.

Those running Google's Android system have been especially targeted.
    Bitdefender's Catalin Cosoi said: "We have investigated applications for Android devices and basically, based on our statistics, we've seen a 2,000% increase of malicious applications compared to the last year... Our prediction is that in the following six months, we will have a 6,000% increase in malicious applications."

"Once you have a smartphone, you probably can't go back to an older version of a phone now that you have access to a computer, social media, emails, pictures and so on. You sort of get addicted, so smartphones are becoming very important," Mr Cosoi added.""

This is not the whole read, see above link.
    Will folk wake up???? It's happening (but it won't happen to me )
    Android OS older than 2.3.4 tramsits sensitive data over wifi in clear text, kind of iffy because I travel alot and I connected to airport wifi with my Desire often. Lots of people on the Android forums said "I'm not worried" when this hit the news.

There was some hijacking of wireless debit/credit card machines at pubs and resteraunts some years ago, I think they have better encryption now.
    10-17-11 04:28 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD