03-09-12 02:49 PM
    That actually sounds like a great idea
    03-09-12 03:06 PM
    Yeah, now a lil' less uptight can be a helpful approach. Stretch it out and have some fun!
    03-09-12 03:13 PM
    It's not a bad idea to try to shed the deadly serious "tools not toys" un-fun legacy image of BB, but it has to be done right. I know others disagree, but I didn't think much of the AT&T Torch ads that showed the boss telling everyone in the office how to be slackers with their BBs. It was funny but...somehow I don't think it left a good impression. Something a little more subtle would be great.
    03-09-12 03:21 PM
    It's not a bad idea to try to shed the deadly serious "tools not toys" un-fun legacy image of BB, but it has to be done right. I know others disagree, but I didn't think much of the AT&T Torch ads that showed the boss telling everyone in the office how to be slackers with their BBs. It was funny but...somehow I don't think it left a good impression. Something a little more subtle would be great.
    I think people like it when someone is willing to make fun of themselves and of their missteps.

As opposed to sticking to a "no matter what you say, I'm right and you're wrong."

If they can actually get folks laughing and considering the product again that's a great start.

All, that said, they need to get a new phone to market sooner than later. Don't get people's attention if you don't have a product to pitch.

Cheers!
    03-09-12 03:28 PM
    let's see how it works with the masses ....

but I know the guys over @ collegehumour are super cool
    03-09-12 05:24 PM
    So which one will it be? "Tools not toys" or Heinz throwing pies at Lazaridis on the stage?!?

This could be a positive idea, though RIM runs a real risk of pushing away their traditional customers if they're too successfully at marketing to a younger crowd.

For example, if they launched BBOS10 without a keyboard device, which I think is very likely.

An example could be Apple, who for years survived because of their die hard fans in education and graphic design. Then they switched to Intel CPUs... Then renamed the company taking "computer" out of their name. Then they stopped producing servers and other products that only their traditional customers were interested in. And now they're dropping their pro apps and might drop the PowerMacs completely. Many from their traditional fanbase has switched to Linux, and many more are disgruntled and disillusioned.
    03-09-12 06:56 PM
    Interesting...let's see how well it works
    03-09-12 07:48 PM
    A humour approach to marketing is great.

RIM also changed their website today. It's much cooler and more streamlined. Ex. for Devices it just shows 3...Bold, Torch, and Curve
    03-09-12 07:57 PM
    So which one will it be? "Tools not toys" or Heinz throwing pies at Lazaridis on the stage?!?

This could be a positive idea, though RIM runs a real risk of pushing away their traditional customers if they're too successfully at marketing to a younger crowd.

For example, if they launched BBOS10 without a keyboard device, which I think is very likely.

An example could be Apple, who for years survived because of their die hard fans in education and graphic design. Then they switched to Intel CPUs... Then renamed the company taking "computer" out of their name. Then they stopped producing servers and other products that only their traditional customers were interested in. And now they're dropping their pro apps and might drop the PowerMacs completely. Many from their traditional fanbase has switched to Linux, and many more are disgruntled and disillusioned.
    Looks like it really hurt them.
    03-09-12 08:01 PM
    Padgadget tore them a new ads on this, people think it's stupid. I'm interested in seeing how it goes
    03-09-12 09:08 PM

Go figure, a sneak peek at one aspect of future advertising and already their on the verge of blowing it with their core consumers. Exaggerate much?
    03-09-12 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD