i was just curious where i am there still soo many Curve 8520 users....its just we Torch 9800 users feel sooo LEFT OUT now that all the OS 7/7.1 hype out there....lets go just 1 year back the Torch and the 9780 was all WAW....and now there like aahhh THAT AVERAGE device LOLZ
    LOL gotcha. I know what you mean as I'm bummed the 9850 doesn't have a new 7.1 yet.
    01-29-12 06:19 PM
    LOL gotcha. I know what you mean as I'm bummed the 9850 doesn't have a new 7.1 yet.
    lets wait and see what would happens to OS 6 now...if we reach 2013 with some good OS updates its a miracle LOLZZZ
    01-30-12 10:28 AM
    Awwwwww heck! We all get left behind, or we'd be ticked RIM wasn't advancing. With all the outcries they aren't progressing nearly fast enough, be happy they're moving forward.

The original 8100 Pearl users, of which I was one, were quickly left behind, when the 8110 came out, and video recording was possible. The 8330 was much better than all preceding Curves, but most of them can never use OS5, though internally all 8330s are the same. The 8900 and 9000 were great, but the 9700 blew their doors off, yet OS6 is a stretch for it to run.

It's just a fact of tech. If you can't buy the latest/greatest every time it comes out, you'll never keep up.

I'll continue using my too lame upon release 9650, till the BB10s hit the market. Pick one up on my upgrade, and pray RIM in swift fashion makes me envious the next model.
    OniBerry likes this.
    01-30-12 11:36 AM
    Bold 9700 is almost a 3 year old phone and they just released OS 6.00723 for it so I wouldn't say it has been "killed". There isn't an epic chasm of difference between OS6 and OS7 anyway, just minor tweaks. Think of how the OS7 owners will feel once the supposedly amazing BB10 is released.
    01-30-12 01:29 PM
    Bold 9700 is almost a 3 year old phone and they just released OS 6.00723 for it so I wouldn't say it has been "killed". There isn't an epic chasm of difference between OS6 and OS7 anyway, just minor tweaks. Think of how the OS7 owners will feel once the supposedly amazing BB10 is released.
    lolzz that's true....i was a pearl 8100 user then 8110 user would never forget those....heck who can forget those annoying trackballs.....then ive move on to Curve 9300.....and now Torch 9800 for a very veryyyyyy cheap price. to bad smartphone aren't like pc`s like you can upgrade to a newer OS at your own risk if you don't have to right hardware....like make the darn os 7 for the older os 6 devices completely at users own risk if it runs slow hey its your problem cuz it says blackberry 9900/9810 ect recommended...get me??? lolzz just an idea there.
    DrBit2011 likes this.
    01-30-12 03:45 PM
    the Curve 9360 got 800mhz cpu Torch 624mhz hmm i wonder how SLOWWW OS 7 would run on it...... wouldn't be that bad....any one thinking what i am thinking?
    01-30-12 03:47 PM
    the Curve 9360 got 800mhz cpu Torch 624mhz hmm i wonder how SLOWWW OS 7 would run on it...... wouldn't be that bad....any one thinking what i am thinking?
    I am not sure because OS6 actually started life as OS5.2 and OS7 actually started as OS6.1. I am not sure OS7 isn't OS5.3 in reality. It is probably a bigger issue that RIM chose to put little memory in their handsets for years. It was a common gripe on this site. That is what cut most phones out of OS6 compatibility, including the Storm2 line. Forward compatibility is a big issue for RIM in my view. I like knowing my device has a good shot of getting the next upgrade.
    01-30-12 04:58 PM
    That's true but when's the last OS6 release for any phone that added functionality though? I've stopped bothering to update my OS now and I never see a difference between the one I had to the one I went to.

I am not sure because OS6 actually started life as OS5.2 and OS7 actually started as OS6.1. I am not sure OS7 isn't OS5.3 in reality. It is probably a bigger issue that RIM chose to put little memory in their handsets for years. It was a common gripe on this site. That is what cut most phones out of OS6 compatibility, including the Storm2 line. Forward compatibility is a big issue for RIM in my view. I like knowing my device has a good shot of getting the next upgrade.
    Forward compatability is a huge issue as you say. Laptops that ran Windows XP could run Vista, could possibly even run 7 yet the Blackberry is just not forwards comptable again and I believe (not 100% sure) that the same will happen with the current OS7 phones when QNX takes over.

No-one is saying that RIM shouldn't advance. The fact is that RIM and Blackberry apps haven't advanced fast enough in the past but now they are annoying more consumers by leaving people stuck in contract with devices that they cannot upgrade their OS on and can't, without huge financial penalties, upgrade early either.
    tack likes this.
    01-31-12 08:53 AM
    No OS series has added functions as it went along. Only refinements.

All platforms experience "the wall" with device OS upgrades.

PCs require hardware upgrades to advance in OS, unless way over-built to begin with. Many cannot receive one without a motherboard/CPU swap.
    01-31-12 09:01 AM
    OS7 will never run on an OS6 device. Don't brick your phone finding that out the hard way...
    01-31-12 09:12 AM
    That's true but when's the last OS6 release for any phone that added functionality though? I've stopped bothering to update my OS now and I never see a difference between the one I had to the one I went to.

Forward compatability is a huge issue as you say. Laptops that ran Windows XP could run Vista, could possibly even run 7 yet the Blackberry is just not forwards comptable again and I believe (not 100% sure) that the same will happen with the current OS7 phones when QNX takes over.

No-one is saying that RIM shouldn't advance. The fact is that RIM and Blackberry apps haven't advanced fast enough in the past but now they are annoying more consumers by leaving people stuck in contract with devices that they cannot upgrade their OS on and can't, without huge financial penalties, upgrade early either.
    I wouldn't say they could unless you bought one in same yearyear before it came. Many xp machines didn't have "enough" to run vista or if they did it really sucked on them.
    01-31-12 09:15 AM
    Look folks, I can understand the desire to try and put the next gen OS on your phone, but you simply can't. The sfi, aka platform, aka radio file controls that. You can plop all the cod files you want, but it won't change reality. No amount of want in the world, will make another phone's sfi install on yours.
    01-31-12 09:16 AM
    sooo TODAY FINALLY 6.0.0.723 has release for our Torch 9800 users,hope there would be a next update SOON......

As for the pc i have this old Acer aspire D250 *netbook* running the windows 8 (Windows developer preview* lolzzz this OLD laptop can continue to use newer version of windows....poor us in the BB world....i wouldn't mind going to the Curve 9360 but it just doesn't feel/looks fair....

the Torch 9800 was Introduced on August 3, 2010 sooo it aint THATTT olddd lolzzz
    01-31-12 02:02 PM
    I was under the impression that RIM could make OS7 for a few of the older devices if the wanted to but they don't want to.

The only OS6 devices that could run 7 in theory would be the 9650 and 9330. All other models lack the dedicated GPU required for liquid graphics.

Again this is all nothing but speculation and I could be completely wrong.
    01-31-12 02:58 PM
    I was under the impression that RIM could make OS7 for a few of the older devices if the wanted to but they don't want to.

The only OS6 devices that could run 7 in theory would be the 9650 and 9330. All other models lack the dedicated GPU required for liquid graphics.

Again this is all nothing but speculation and I could be completely wrong.
    Not one OS6 phone has either the CPU or memory capable of running OS7, the 9650 being the weakest CPU of the lot.
    01-31-12 03:09 PM
    Not one OS6 phone has either the CPU or memory capable of running OS7, the 9650 being the weakest CPU of the lot.
    ooohhh oke oke then......lets cherish this update for the 9800 LOLZzz
    01-31-12 03:31 PM
    I wouldn't say they could unless you bought one in same yearyear before it came. Many xp machines didn't have "enough" to run vista or if they did it really sucked on them.
    My XP laptop now runs 7 as a quite capable backup machine. It's not bells and whistles but it runs it.

As has been said the Torch launched 17 months ago (15 months ago in the UK), consequently people are still locked into 24 month contracts with the phone with no software upgrade path.

Contrast that to Apple where people with the 3GS can run the very latest OS and you can see the frustration of I'm sure many BB users
    01-31-12 05:24 PM
    My XP laptop now runs 7 as a quite capable backup machine. It's not bells and whistles but it runs it.

As has been said the Torch launched 17 months ago (15 months ago in the UK), consequently people are still locked into 24 month contracts with the phone with no software upgrade path.

Contrast that to Apple where people with the 3GS can run the very latest OS and you can see the frustration of I'm sure many BB users
    True, though I'm not sure how well it runs it, considering the processor difference between the 3GS and 4G. The 3G isn't capable.

Another comparison would be the Androids. Do a Google on ICS, and see how many year old models aren't getting it.

RIM blew it, and we all know it. The horse has been well tenderized. Be happy or upgrade, it's the only two sane solutions.
    01-31-12 05:45 PM

I can see how that may look to some users of BlackBerry, but for the 3GS to be able to run the newest OS means;
    (One or any combination of the below examples)
    They did not change any hardware that required a major overhaul of their OS.
    They did not change anything major in the OS that requires newer hardware to run.
    The previous device is not really designed for the newer OS, but runs a hybrid newer one(No bells and whistles)

Your argument isn't really valid though. While I am sure you see the progression of the various models as a series of small changes, there have been major changes in BBs(in a short period of time), and that has required RIM to make several hardware changes. Those changes, combined with the new OS allow the device to function. What the OS needs to work is just not present in the older devices. All technology works on this principal. If you want to see a newer OS, you will have to purchase a newer device. That being said, in my experience with BlackBerry, I always felt supported on my older devices. Updates by RIM, Hybrids by enthusiasts? It can keep you going until you are ready to renew your contract imo.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-31-12 05:52 PM
    Apple selectively disables features that are too new for the older phones. RIM could do this with OS7 if they wanted to do so. They could have done that to make OS6 run on my Storm2, but did not choose to do so. The argument the a webkit browser need more memory and processor power than my phone had was crazy when the original iPhone had half the processer and memory with a webkit browser.

I think forward compatibility is a problem for RIM. I hope BB10 solves this. If I had a OS7 phone, I would want it to run BB10. That is not going to happen and has not been possible the last 3 OS upgrades for RIM. With iOS and Android is almost always possible. That is a selling point for me.
    01-31-12 08:02 PM
    Apple selectively disables features that are too new for the older phones. RIM could do this with OS7 if they wanted to do so. They could have done that to make OS6 run on my Storm2, but did not choose to do so. The argument the a webkit browser need more memory and processor power than my phone had was crazy when the original iPhone had half the processer and memory with a webkit browser.

I think forward compatibility is a problem for RIM. I hope BB10 solves this. If I had a OS7 phone, I would want it to run BB10. That is not going to happen and has not been possible the last 3 OS upgrades for RIM. With iOS and Android is almost always possible. That is a selling point for me.
    You are litterally comparing berries to apples. Neither the Storm ran iOS, nor did the iPhone ran BB5. Your argument is moot.

Now, I don't remember the specs on the storms, but if they had 256mb of mem and 524mhz of processor, then I'd agree, no point not giving OS6 to them. Else, they'd fall in the "unsupported hardware" all other devices did.

In theory, BB10 will help RIM wih that. They could go for a model very similar to Apple's and support older devices for a lot longer, since the minimum hardware would be there anyway (PB getting OS2, OS3 and then BB10, for example).

But no, it's not "almost always" possible with Android. Just see the number of devices not getting 2.3.3 and 4.0...
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-14-12 at 08:24 PM.
    02-14-12 08:20 PM
    You are litterally comparing berries to apples. Neither the Storm ran iOS, nor did the iPhone ran BB5. Your argument is moot.

Now, I don't remember the specs on the storms, but if they had 256mb of mem and 524mhz of processor, then I'd agree, no point not giving OS6 to them. Else, they'd fall in the "unsupported hardware" all other devices did.

In theory, BB10 will help RIM wih that. They could go for a model very similar to Apple's and support older devices for a lot longer, since the minimim hardware would be there anyway.

But no, it's not "almost always" possible with Android. Just see the number of devices not getting 2.3.3 and 4.0...
    storm 2 was 256 RAM and 624 mhz actually and NO OS 6 love...
    02-14-12 08:24 PM
    storm 2 was 256 RAM and 624 mhz actually and NO OS 6 love...
    Just like a 9700 then, which did get OS6...

So it was a business decision: let's push out "new" hardware. Not that I agree to that. I bet a OS6 powered Storm2 would have been a much better device...
    02-14-12 08:27 PM
    pretty much, remember they apparently had a "storm 3" for VZW but they told them to GTFO and come back with something better. If they could do it over im sure OS 6 would have been released on the storm 2 even if memory was tight
    diegonei likes this.
    02-14-12 08:33 PM
    Ya'll are ignoring a couple key differences between the 9700 and 9550. The touchscreen and accelerometer.
    02-15-12 12:22 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD