Please post the quote or a link to it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    07-16-12 03:36 PM
    I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on Jim Balsillie's quote about technology companies not recovering from a platform change/transition. And only Apple has been able to do it.

It's just weird to me that he would even say somehting like that, knowing that RIM were about to try o do the exact same thing.

I can post the full quote if you all would like.
    There's a reason why Jim B. isn't with RIM anymore.
    07-16-12 03:41 PM
    Please post the quote or a link to it.

"No other technology company other than Apple has successfully transitioned their platform. It's almost never done, and it's way harder than you realize. This transition is where tech companies go to die."-Jim Balsillie, April 2011.

Credit given to: PhoneArena.com.

There's also a few more on that link.
    07-16-12 03:41 PM
    It sounds like he is right so far.

Hopefully RIM can be added to the list along with Apple.

07-16-12 03:45 PM
    RIM has lost marketshare in an exploding market. RIM's base didn't shrink, but they stood still while others grew around them.

Assuming there are no more delays, their will be a blitzkrieg of buyers once BB10 phones hit the market in '13. The platform doesn't even need to be very good out of the gate. If it is at least as good as a playbook with more bells and whistles, it will be a hit. Throw in some cascades and it'll be sold out in no time.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    07-16-12 04:21 PM
    Bad news sell. That's why the media chooses to report what's bad, and analysts are coming up with all sorts of claims that RIM will not last. I do acknowledge that Things don't look good for RIM and they have let themselves fall behind thir competitors, which is what got them in this position in the first place.

However, RIM is still as strong as ever financially. They are just going through a rough patch but BB10 will be the saving grace.
    Exactly...they aren't reporting the whole story. This post and thread starter is exactly what I've been saying. I was at the Verizon store switching devices and I was talking to the guy about phones and we started to talk about RIM and he was like "Oh they don't even make BlackBerrys anymore" and then when I corrected him he then said "Oh well they won't in a few months. All the carriers are dropping them" Get a load of this hahaha. If they are dropping BB then why did Verizon just pick up the new Curve? Dumb@ss
    07-16-12 04:32 PM
    First of all, RIM already knows that it won't come close to the market share that they once held. Secondly, it isn't important that they are #1. What is important is that they find their niche and market to that. If they do that, they will be profitable. Finally, if OS 10 is what RIM says it will be, folks will hear about it and many will give BlackBerry a serious look. In my opinion, the mobile phone market is a very fickle market segment and anything can happen. One can only wait and see. Personally, I believe RIM will pull it off. Of course, that is just my opinion and not based on some great knowledge of the mobile market. It is based only on what I've observed over the years. And what I've observed is that absolutely no one has an indefinite lock on this particular market.
    Masahiro likes this.
    07-16-12 04:59 PM
    A lot of people like me have apple products and blackberry products. Android is junk though, it won't last long.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-16-12 05:24 PM
    Balsillie is a moron , he/she shouldn't be quoted.
    The guy helped build a billion dollar company. He's far from an .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-16-12 05:29 PM
    A lot of people like me have apple products and blackberry products. Android is junk though, it won't last long.

Do you see how fast android is evolving? Android is here to stay.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-16-12 05:31 PM
    I do not see Android going away anytime soon. Some hardware manufacturers that build devices that run Android might disappear, however.

07-16-12 05:39 PM
    If by Android, you mean Samsung, then it is not going anywhere.
    07-16-12 05:40 PM
    If by Android, you mean Samsung, then it is not going anywhere.
    I could see HTC possibly going out of business eventually.

Samsung is beating just about all hardware manufacturers now, no matter if the hardware runs Android or something else.

We'll have to see what Google does with Motorola, now that it owns Motorola.

07-16-12 05:44 PM
    Get a grip. They have a couple billion in the bank and haven't even touched their reserves.
    Here's the thing. The US is the main market for any smartphone (I'm from the UK where BB is still very popular). The US wants all touch (hence RIM is launching touch BB10 first). However much cash RIM has, if it keeps losing cash it will run out (Kodak once had lots of cash).

Essentially they have gone "all in" on BB10 being a success. Here's hoping they succeed. I love my 9900 and don't want an iPhone (though I love my iPad and iPods).

The delay on BB10 is sensible as Thorsten Heins says they are done with releasing product that isn't ready. I just doubt they can release product which doesn't have the annoying bugs, and that's based on having a Playbook.

Anyway, it's delusional to think they can't fail. I hope they succeed, as does everyone who hangs out on Crackberry, but it's far from certain they will. I'm not sure what happens if they do fail, and let's hope we never find out.
    07-16-12 05:46 PM

By junk, are you referring to the Android OS, or the phones/tablets, etc... that run the Android OS?

The hardware is made by many different manufactures so there is bound to be some junk in the mix along with some good, quality products.

Android is a software, not a hardware.
    07-16-12 05:49 PM
    i know few ppl who used bb are out of bb recently
    they are using iphone and change to something else and they seems to like it alot other than the bb device

the problem is rim might make others to lose hope, and that really can't make it back until their contract is ended or their friends are using bb again

and i have to say i did change ship too to samsung s3, its not like i don't like bb but everything just changed so quickly, and if something wrong with bb10, than there will be bigger problem
    Last edited by killer007; 07-16-12 at 06:39 PM.
    07-16-12 06:36 PM
    Get a grip. They have a couple billion in the bank and haven't even touched their reserves.

BlackBerry is still popular and the rage in England, Asia and the Middle East.

If they were going bankrupt, they'd stop hiring employees. Well look at RIM career pages. Not to mention there are BlackBerry ads all over my city.

Seriously get a grip. Sick of reading thread after thread of doom & gloom. Media's fault though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go rock my Bold 9900 while waiting for BB10.
    You caught me with flamethrower on the shoulder for the second time.
    You bad-bad-bad boy (and I must be bad-bad-bad English reader lol).
    Now excuse me, my alpha is back from lethargy (was wiped bad) and I must take it with me (near) to bed
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-16-12 at 06:45 PM.
    07-16-12 06:39 PM
    It's true. Coming back from Waterloo... I'm even more confident now that RIM will work through their transition and bring BB10 to market and get their groove back.
    07-16-12 06:41 PM
    It's true. Coming back from Waterloo... I'm even more confident now that RIM will work through their transition and bring BB10 to market and get their groove back.
    Couldn't agree more. I am confident that RIM will get BB10 to the market fully functional and on time.
    07-16-12 07:27 PM
    I heard so many people say "Blackberry is going down" / "Blackberry will die in a few weeks" for so many times.. But i believe that they will be just fine.. I think they know what they are doing and the BB10 will be something really really great.
    07-17-12 08:25 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD