I play an MMO game on the PlayBook, Uprising St. Louis (originally for android). It has lots of social interaction, requires team work & strategy. It is not a button masher. I asked the developer if he thought about making a version for my 9810. THE DEVELOPER BOUGHT A TORCH TO PORT IT FOR ME!!! We have a developer TRYING to make games for this freaking company. This is the email I got tonight:

"BTW bb port is going slowly.* Bought a macbook to find out you can only develop on windows.* Loaded their dev suite to find out their docs are out of date and don't cover the dev suite.* Their web browser demo app doesn't work on their simulator.* Not going well 8-(.

But I'm persistent!* Just probably won't be ready for Xmas."

RIM, why does it always seem like you aren't trying to help developers! Do you know how many times I hear "my buddy has this app on his droid, but it isn't on BB". We hear developers saying all the time how much of a pain in the *ss BB developing is. People will buy your crappy hardware no matter the specs (I do, and I love your crappy speced hardware!), but you need to know that there is something all the cool kids want..... Apps! They aren't iSheople because of the mind blowing software or well planned out advertising (I am not even getting into that now!). Make a plan. Make it a damn good plan! And stick with it!!! Stop announcing things!! Aaaarrrrrrggggg!! To be continued when I am less irritable...
    JWWDUKE and mithrazor like this.
    12-21-11 08:54 PM
    Yeah, choosing to support Windows only was sort of a silly decision, when all iOS developers are using Macs and most pro Android developers are also using Macs or linux. RIM should understand that those developers are their target audience for this stuff.

But we found that the eclipse plugin works fine under VMware, if you don't use the simulator. You can just build and run on the device.

As for the docs, yes they are not well updated. But they aren't *that* bad, you can sort of figure out what's going on.

The whole thing is not nearly as professional as what Google and Apple put out. But it mostly works. We hope
    (and expect) that this all will be much better in BB10 and OS2.
    12-21-11 09:17 PM
    You are mad at RIM? I think you may want to take a number and get in line.

Let's see they let their customers down by not releasing stuff on time, which let their shareholders down because the stock fell, which let the employees down because now they have to work another 80 years to retire.

Hopefully things turnaround for RIM soon.
    12-21-11 11:42 PM
    Ugh. As an iPhone developer thinking of starting to develop BB apps this is a bit disappointing to read. Anybody know if RIM plans to make an SDK that can be used on mac anytime soon?

This is extremely foolish on RIM's part. The app developer community made iPhone imo...
    12-22-11 10:34 AM
    While I don't necessarily disagree with anything specifically posted here, just wondering why does it seem acceptable that Apples iOS dev tools are Mac only (which is a fraction of the dekstop market share), but not ok for RIMs to be on Windows.....
    12-22-11 12:37 PM
    Sounds like the developer didn't check into requirements for the SDK's before he went out to purchase the macbook.

If your a serious developer and really want to develop something, you usually check to make sure you have the requirements beforehand, especially if your setting up hardware.

Either way, as stated by someone, there are virtual machines that the said developer can use.
    12-22-11 01:15 PM
    While I don't necessarily disagree with anything specifically posted here, just wondering why does it seem acceptable that Apples iOS dev tools are Mac only (which is a fraction of the dekstop market share), but not ok for RIMs to be on Windows.....
    because most developers most likely started off with putting their apps on ios -> they probably used a mac or started using a mac

rim isn't making things easy for them by demanding that they use windows to develop for bb and rim's market share isn't exactly a strong incentive
    12-22-11 03:16 PM
    Apple and Google are both relatively new to the smartphone industry. Name any other platform that doesn't require a PC for app development.
    12-22-11 03:46 PM
    Because RIM is in direct competition with both MSFT and APPL?
    12-22-11 03:46 PM
    I play an MMO game on the PlayBook, Uprising St. Louis (originally for android). It has lots of social interaction, requires team work & strategy. It is not a button masher. I asked the developer if he thought about making a version for my 9810..
    Can we be realistic for a minute? Please?

I think it's great that you can reach out to a developer and single-handedly convince him to develop for BB handsets, but your guy needs to bear a few things in mind:

1) BB7 is a COMPLETELY different platform from Android. Or QNX, for that matter. Had he performed a little due diligence he might have figured that out. We all would have been better served for him to port his app to QNX. He also has the opportunity to convert his Android app and submit it to App World in time for the OS 2.0 launch in February.

2) If this guy DOES concentrate on the QNX port, he'll be well-placed to put it in App World for the new BB10 handsets next year, too.

3) BB7 is a fairly recent platform, and in fact, no, RIM hasn't updated all its developer documentation. That will likely come over the next few months or so, but I suspect most of their developer relations resources are going into QNX/BB10 right now.

And, yes, many developers use Macs or Linux, but the overwhelming majority do use Windows. Even many Mac users make use of virtual machines, Boot Camp, or systems like Parallels or VMware Fusion so that they can use Windows-based developer tools.

Finally, working on ANY new platform for the first time can be an exercise in frustration, no matter how good the tools and documentation are. I hope this guy works through the frustration, though. The game sounds good!
    12-22-11 04:20 PM
    It's not so much an issue of fairness, as it is of practicality. iOS development is done using Xcode, which is Apple's IDE. Xcode runs on OS X for the same reasons that Visual Studio runs only on Windows. These are 20+ year old IDEs that would be painful to port (for either Apple or Microsoft). Microsoft and Apple did not have to create completely new developer tools for mobile development, they've had those all along.

So it makes sense that Microsoft's WP7 SDK run on their OS. And Apple's iOS tools run on their OS.

But RIM had a choice. And if they want to attract all the leading mobile developers (people who actually made the apps that RIM wants, and who have for the most part been working on iOS for 3+ years now), then it is in RIM's best interest to support the Mac.

This is one example where being so far away from silicon valley kind of hurts them. If their dev tools group was around here they would have realized very quickly a couple of years ago that a Windows-only SDK was not the brightest idea. You can walk around any coffeeshop here or the campus of any leading software shop, or Google or whatever and you can see that Windows is not very common among this class of developers that RIM is targeting for their platforms.

But again, as others have said also, this only affect OS7. The NDK for PB supports the Mac. So I assume this won't be an issue with BB10. RIM figured it out. And even with the previous SDKs, they do work in vmware, it's just the simulator that becomes unusable then. But you can live without that.

This is not that big a deal.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-22-11 at 04:54 PM.
    mithrazor likes this.
    12-22-11 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD