I was just searching RIM's career postings....I was quite surprised to find....an abundance of various career postings.

1)America's -nearly 400 various positions

2)Europe, Middle East and Africa- approx 100 various positions

3)Asia-Pacific- approx 100 Various positions

The bulk of which has been made available within the past month.

Beyond what is shown above, RIM is also recruiting engineers. Difficult to put a figure on this as it is a different category. QNX's website shows a large career calling, as well as TAT is recruiting talent.

Update Feb 22.2012-

RIM recently posted several hundred more career postings, bringing the count to approx 1000+(curious to know exact figure).....
    Quite nice to see an aggressive recruitment underway
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-22-12 at 09:41 PM.
    02-05-12 03:25 AM
    One would hope that's good news regarding RIM's future. I would have thought it unlikely that a company that's totally going down the tubes would be hiring a whole bunch of people.

02-05-12 03:32 AM
    One would hope that's good news regarding RIM's future. I would have thought it unlikely that a company that's totally going down the tubes would be hiring a whole bunch of people.

Insiders are starting to accumulate shares for the first time in 2-3 years.....So I'm sure those "in the know ", obviously are aware of a pending prudent phase of growth
    02-05-12 03:47 AM
    if you go to RIMs website and go to careers there are a lot of interesting positions opening up
    02-05-12 03:54 AM
    I was just searching RIM's career postings....I was quite surprised to find....an abundance of various career postings.
    1)America's -nearly 400 various positions
    2)Europe, Middle East and Africa- approx 100 various positions
    3)Asia-Pacific- approx 100 Various positions
    The bulk of which has been made available within the past month.
    Beyond what is shown above, RIM is also recruiting engineers. Difficult to put a figure on this as it is a different category. QNX's website shows a large career calling, as well as TAT is recruiting talent.
    Quite nice to see an aggressive recruitment underway
    Definitely count me in ... appliers.
    Hawkeberry likes this.
    02-05-12 04:20 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    expecting a great year from RIM !!
    02-05-12 05:51 AM
    I'm just really impressed at the veracity of the hiring campaign....Clearly shows that RIM is on a mission of sorts, considering the scale of recruitment in a small time frame
    02-22-12 09:38 PM
    RIM can hire me. I'd love to see the inner workings.
    02-22-12 10:04 PM
    Insiders are starting to accumulate shares for the first time in 2-3 years.....So I'm sure those "in the know ", obviously are aware of a pending prudent phase of growth
    Can you please clarify that.Insider buying? I don't see any except Lazaridis 50 million dollar purchase and Watsa buying few million shares.
    02-22-12 11:06 PM
    WOW. RIM is hiring around the globe. YAY.

So why did they layoff hundreds of folks in Canada last year ?
    02-22-12 11:24 PM
    RIM had to shed some people who worked on legacy BBOS and legacy architecture. Lots of Java dev's left/are leaving RIM. RIM's probably hiring dev's who has experience with C/C++...
    02-22-12 11:34 PM
    WOW. RIM is hiring around the globe. YAY.

So why did they layoff hundreds of folks in Canada last year ?
    I assume its quite normal for most businesses to not show a sustained upward trajectory in the number of employees they have.
    02-22-12 11:51 PM
    RIM had to shed some people who worked on legacy BBOS and legacy architecture. Lots of Java dev's left/are leaving RIM. RIM's probably hiring dev's who has experience with C/C++...
    I doubt RIM would kick out people that worked on legacy BBOS just cause they don't have experience on C/C++. They might offer classes or something for it for their employees. After all, the difference between Java and C is pretty much syntactical. I remember in an interview they were moving resources from legacy BBOS to the BB10 platform.
    02-23-12 12:20 AM
    Well, they did fire 1000 people last year. Makes sense. I hope they do hire some REAL, MOTIVATED TALENT. Despair is not good environment for innovation.
    02-23-12 12:38 AM
    I want to be the new CMO
    02-23-12 01:33 AM
    i hope they arent just hiring a bunch of interns this time. Having a bunch of students rotate every 4 months isnt going to help them succeed.
    02-23-12 09:34 AM
    I doubt RIM would kick out people that worked on legacy BBOS just cause they don't have experience on C/C++. They might offer classes or something for it for their employees. After all, the difference between Java and C is pretty much syntactical. I remember in an interview they were moving resources from legacy BBOS to the BB10 platform.
    Java and C are apples and oranges!

Java is a high level language which uses a runtime to interpret code and do the work. C is a low level language which requires a user to know what they are doing and be responsible for clearing up memory, closing files etc.

The difference is MUCH MORE than syntactical!

While they can reteach Java developers to be C/C++ developers, time is against them. They need experienced developers at the moment to turn out code.

Therefore they had to pick and choose those who are skilled and can pick up knowledge quickly and probably had to let go those that either worked on redundant projects or it would not make sense to retrain only to have a huge amount of green Jr developers.
    02-23-12 10:20 AM
    I once worked for a company that put a bunch of job postings on their website just so investors/potential customers would think they were rapidly growing. They never hired anyone. I'm not saying that's what RIM is doing... just that some people do that, so you can't really use job postings as a *real* indicator for the future.
    02-23-12 11:24 AM

Don't worry all the haters will say that RIM is replacing all their talent that has quit
    02-23-12 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD