The bottom line for me is this. If I didn't need nor want a phone that's basic premise is for business functionality, I wouldn't buy a BlackBerry. If I wanted a phone that was user friendly, had cool games, a slick and flashy interface, thousands of useless apps, was a conversation starter, helped me pass the time on a 5 hour layover, I sure wouldn't buy a BlackBerry.
    03-23-10 10:45 PM
    teens want to feel like a cool adult so they are buying bb when they know nothing about how to even use one. they need to just stick with android and iphone for the games and stuff. on the other hand it is boring and restrained so would keep good restraint of a young teen because they cant do anything on their phone reallly so parents dont have to worry much. and push messages. "get your but home right now!" and they instantly get it.
    There is so much wrong with this but I will address your ONE glaring omission.

The idea of the BlackBerry as a strictly or even mostly business device ignores
    one fact.

With the release of the Pearl 8100, the first BB with media function, camera,
    memory card and trackball, RIM fundamentally changed their user base.

Corporate / business users are RIMS base, however, these are not the
    people running out and buying every new device as that would almost
    always be cost prohibitive even for a small to medium organization.

Non business users are not buying BBs to be cool. They are buying them
    (A LOT OF THEM) because the feature set, form factor and usability is
    what they are looking for.

I do agree RIM needs to make some radical changes but even without them
    they are performing quite well in the North American cellular marketplace.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 03-23-10 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong user
    03-23-10 10:58 PM
    It's not crazy. RIM knows teenagers are purchasing BlackBerrys why else would they make the commercials they make and advertise with U2?

U2? Do you seriously think they picked them for teens? They'd be much better off with someone like Drake for today's teens. U2 would seem more geared for the ages 25-35 than 13-20 year olds.
    03-23-10 10:59 PM
    Um...where am I being 'left behind' when my BBerry does everything I need done?
    Troll thread.
    03-23-10 11:25 PM
    Um...where am I being 'left behind' when my BBerry does everything I need done?
    Troll thread.
    There are some well proven points on this thread because the phone is perfect for you doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone especially people looking to get the most out of a phone. By that I mean others want what the competition is offering but on their BlackBerrys. What's happening instead though is RIM isn't doing anything while the competition keeps moving forward.
    03-23-10 11:31 PM
    What's happening instead though is RIM isn't doing anything while the competition keeps moving forward.
    Epic Fail...what MY phone needs to do for you means nothing to ME...explain in detail where the BBerry fails. Don't dredge up 'thousands of apps', 'video quality' or any of the same old tired junk this boring thread regurgitates.
    03-23-10 11:36 PM
    One of the things I love about my BB is the simple UI... *shrugs*
    But it does everything a Smartphone is supposed to do.

Just need a better built-in browser and flash, and it'd be a perfect phone. At least for me, anyway.

And I hold absolutely ZERO loyalty to a phone manufacturer, I really could care less. Whatever phone I like, and if whatever carrier I'm on has it with a good plan.... I'll get it. But right now, and in the near future, BlackBerries are "IT" for me. Don't much care for touch screens, but if I had to have one, it'd be a Storm 2. I just love the UI of the BB.... it just makes sense.
    03-23-10 11:38 PM
    Epic Fail...what MY phone needs to do for you means nothing to ME...explain in detail where the BBerry fails. Don't dredge up 'thousands of apps', 'video quality' or any of the same old tired junk this boring thread regurgitates.
    listen here mister depression is anger without enthusiam, the blackberry brand is not going anywhere bottom line. we have spend several months waiting for rim to show any sign that they are improving, yet companies like google are creating google goggles and google gesture and other stuff, and blackberry is just moving slow as heck taking it's sweet precious time.
    03-23-10 11:39 PM
    listen here mister depression is anger without enthusiam, the blackberry brand is not going anywhere bottom line. we have spend several months waiting for rim to show any sign that they are improving, yet companies like google are creating google goggles and google gesture and other stuff, and blackberry is just moving slow as heck taking it's sweet precious time.
    What do you mean 'not going anywhere'?
    Don't confuse change/difference/sparkles with progress.
    03-23-10 11:45 PM
    What do you mean 'not going anywhere'?
    Don't confuse change/difference/sparkles with progress.
    meaning. blackberry isnt moving.
    03-23-10 11:47 PM
    For these people who want innovation, I have a couple questions for what you all might want to see on a BB:

You guys want widgets on the BB? With multiple home screens?
    An App Store that would put Apple to shame?
    What it is it exactly that you want?

And really, if you're not happy with BB, leave it be. If what you're forecasting for RIM is true, just contribute to its "apparent" demise and get another phone....easy. *shrugs* I haven't been on this forum for a full month yet and I can already see the dead horses' carcass being beaten into nothingness. So if the failure of RIM is true to you, then let it be.
    03-23-10 11:49 PM
    meaning. blackberry isnt moving.
    In your small minded vision of the world RIM isn't moving...in their world wide market they had gross revenues of 3.5 BILLION dollars...I wish I could 'not move' like that.
    03-23-10 11:53 PM
    That's what I said a persons requirements for a phone is different from person to person. Now off the top of my head here is where the BlackBerry fails.
    1. BlackBerry browser sucks and RIM will be 3 years behind the competition when it finally gets released.
    2. I can't receive most of my attachments as RIM thinks they are too big.
    3. I don't have the sent emails sent from my computer on my BlackBerry. Considering BlackBerrys are made for email this is a true fail.
    4. RIM's device quality is bad. After about a year my first BlackBerry bold decided to commit suicide during the night.
    5. It takes 3+ minutes for my BlackBerry to turn on after doing a battery pull.
    6. Applications can completely freeze my phone and I can't kill them without doing a battery pull.
    7. Major memory leaks on my phone. A battery pull a day is a must and this simply isn't acceptable.
    8. Boring OS, home screen, no widgets, no multiple desktop screens (I understand for some this isn't important)
    9. An app on the Iphone App store costs $0.99 and on the BlackBerry App store $7.45
    10. There are hardly any apps for this phone and it doesn't look like developers are working that hard to get some out.
    11. Hardware is a complete joke Android and Windows Mobile phone are out there with 1ghz processors and BlackBerry's fastest is 624mhz. Best camera on a BlackBerry 3.2mb. Screen resolution on Storm 1 or 2< Screen resolution on Nexus One
    12. When their is a data outage Browser doesn't work.
    13. RIM's attitude with carriers telling them they should bill heavy user by mb and that RIM's devices are light on the network.
    There are many more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 11:58 PM
    continuing your list

the amount of times i have to bring my phone in for a replacement

the slow bbm data searching issues

the complete lack of a user experience

the lack of a future...

the list goes on
    03-24-10 12:14 AM
    RIM is losing market share as you typed this. RIM is desperate to jump on the consumer bandwagon and is not having any real success doing so. Within 2 years RIM will be at the bottom of the market share totem pole. Both iPhone and Android are gobbling up the several years of lead RIM had and squandered.
    This has to be the most knowledgeable thing said in this whole thread. Reality check guys rim is fail

03-24-10 12:46 AM
    That's what I said a persons requirements for a phone is different from person to person. Now off the top of my head here is where the BlackBerry fails.
    1. BlackBerry browser sucks and RIM will be 3 years behind the competition when it finally gets released.
    2. I can't receive most of my attachments as RIM thinks they are too big.
    3. I don't have the sent emails sent from my computer on my BlackBerry. Considering BlackBerrys are made for email this is a true fail.
    4. RIM's device quality is bad. After about a year my first BlackBerry bold decided to commit suicide during the night.
    5. It takes 3+ minutes for my BlackBerry to turn on after doing a battery pull.
    6. Applications can completely freeze my phone and I can't kill them without doing a battery pull.
    7. Major memory leaks on my phone. A battery pull a day is a must and this simply isn't acceptable.
    8. Boring OS, home screen, no widgets, no multiple desktop screens (I understand for some this isn't important)
    9. An app on the Iphone App store costs $0.99 and on the BlackBerry App store $7.45
    10. There are hardly any apps for this phone and it doesn't look like developers are working that hard to get some out.
    11. Hardware is a complete joke Android and Windows Mobile phone are out there with 1ghz processors and BlackBerry's fastest is 624mhz. Best camera on a BlackBerry 3.2mb. Screen resolution on Storm 1 or 2< Screen resolution on Nexus One
    12. When their is a data outage Browser doesn't work.
    13. RIM's attitude with carriers telling them they should bill heavy user by mb and that RIM's devices are light on the network.
    There are many more.

Your opinion versus 3.5 BILLION DOLLARS in revenue for the quarter...guess who loses? Take your $, go buy an i-Toy and Balsillie won't scratch his arse any different.
    03-24-10 01:03 AM
    Confession, I love my BB 8530. Even though its 'LOW-END/CHEAP/NOT A TRUE BLACKBERRY' as quoted by others.
    But in August, I will stop purchasing BBs and find another device.
    That is all.

03-24-10 01:44 AM
    Step your game up RIM.

03-24-10 02:23 AM
    Your opinion versus 3.5 BILLION DOLLARS in revenue for the quarter...guess who loses? Take your $, go buy an i-Toy and Balsillie won't scratch his arse any different.
    The people who lose are US!!! By supporting these companies who package something in a different case with a different name it is the same old piece of ****e that we had all new and shiny with a different look and we feel like we got something new when in fact, it's the same ol cracker in a different box
    03-24-10 02:27 AM
    I have to agree with RIM being more focused on business use rather than recreational use. Nothing beats RIM in email thats for sure
    03-24-10 02:28 AM
    The people who lose are US!!! By supporting these companies who package something in a different case with a different name it is the same old piece of ****e that we had all new and shiny with a different look and we feel like we got something new when in fact, it's the same ol cracker in a different box
    #POW.... Now that's the truth.

03-24-10 02:33 AM
    Exactly, competition is getting fierce and RIM is sitting on its laurels pretending nothing is happening. Blackberry is my first smartphone and my experience has been great overall. But the more feature oriented I see other platforms are getting. The more I think about who provides the best value? Seems like RIM is turning into Nintendo, use a bunch of old hardware and develop the same thing as new devices with a small rehash. It makes a ton of money but it will catch up to them.

Next smartphone will not be a blackberry as it wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the previous models. Why do u think so many people still use the 83xx when 9700s and tours are out? Because everything a 9700 can do a 8330 can do also. (Just slower)

03-24-10 03:06 AM
    Then don't buy from RIM if you feel like you're losing... Seriously... Is the idea of buying the smartphone that's right for you such a hard idea to grasp?

03-24-10 03:22 AM
    Enough folks. This thread is one enormous circular argument that will change no ones mind.
    03-24-10 03:54 AM
99 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD