RIM tech: Boss, our network is having issues!
    CEOs: Well, let's work around the clock until it's fixed.

3 days later: They apologize for the letdown and the problem is fixed.

Apple tech: Boss, we have antenna issues on our iPhone 4!
    Jobs: No, we don't. You're fired.

3 weeks later: Nobody's perfect! Here's a free case.

Enough with the hate! If technology was perfect and worked 100% of the time I would be out of a job!
    10-13-11 04:36 PM
    LOL good one. You can keep your job without major problems though, try to keep them to minor ones no one else knows how to fix either.
    10-13-11 04:42 PM
    Apple three days later : "Dumbazz customers are holding it wrong"
    MetalxAssassinx and graxyq like this.
    10-13-11 05:28 PM
    Speaking of the other phone and their antenna problem....anyone know if Apple found a new place for the antenna in their new phone or are users going to continue experiencing dropped calls because of the way they hold the phone?
    10-13-11 05:30 PM
    LOL this isn't even a contest. More like a bloodbath.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 05:34 PM
    iHubris.

Forget about dropped calls. How about calls in which you can't be heard?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

I looked it up because I had a recent incident with that happening.
    10-13-11 06:08 PM
    Speaking of the other phone and their antenna problem....anyone know if Apple found a new place for the antenna in their new phone or are users going to continue experiencing dropped calls because of the way they hold the phone?
    Yeah they semi-fixed this in the CDMA iPhone by splitting up the antennas more, and they're supposedly completely fixed this by now programming the phone to "intelligently switch between the two antennas", whatever that means. But the summary is, I think the iPhone can now justify the phone part of its name!
    10-13-11 06:36 PM
    Yeah they semi-fixed this in the CDMA iPhone by splitting up the antennas more, and they're supposedly completely fixed this by now programming the phone to "intelligently switch between the two antennas", whatever that means. But the summary is, I think the iPhone can now justify the phone part of its name!
    The Verizon iPhone 4 didn't seem to have any dropped call difficulties, without any real design change. Not surprisingly, when the network improves, so does the phone's reliability.
    10-13-11 07:58 PM
    Apple - 18 months later. "ok it's fixed, buy a new 4S"
    10-13-11 08:21 PM
    The Verizon iPhone 4 didn't seem to have any dropped call difficulties, without any real design change. Not surprisingly, when the network improves, so does the phone's reliability.
    By the time Verizon got the phone the antenna problems were solved. I still do firmly believe that Apple shouldn't have released the phone with this issue to begin with, and should have fully owned up to it when it was discovered by the public.

Jobs: You're holding it wrong. Look! Everyone else has this problem too so it's OK!

Mike L: We're sorry for letting you down. You deserve better from us and we're very sorry for your inconvenience. We won't let anyone sleep until the problem gets resolved.

Which way is better?
    10-13-11 08:32 PM
    I think Apple is still selling more phones... Actually they're selling more everything sooo...
    vrs626 and kingest_kong like this.
    10-13-11 08:52 PM
    Cause Apple has a waaaay better marketing team. Only reason why.
    10-13-11 08:55 PM
    Cause Apple has a waaaay better marketing team. Only reason why.
    I don't think marketing is the only differentiator from "world's most valuable company" to "world's biggest landslide-loss company."
    vrs626 and f1rewire like this.
    10-13-11 09:02 PM
    I don't think marketing is the only differentiator from "world's most valuable company" to "world's biggest landslide-loss company."
    Actually, the latter is a great way to describe Apple until they came up with a product that set the world on fire - the iPod. They weren't the first to make a portable media player - and they were never the best - but with the help of their marketing department they made it a product that everyone had to have. It was the iPod that made Apple relevant again, nothing else. Remember that the economy was great when the iPod was released, and unlike Macs it was a luxury that was within the reach of everyone. They capitalized on that to make Apple the company it is today.

So yes, marketing is completely what set Apple apart in the early days of Job's second tenure with Apple, and it continues to set Apple apart.
    Jake Storm and JR A like this.
    10-13-11 09:25 PM
    Would there even be an iPhone without Blackberry? Come on people, give credit where it's due. I'm not bashing it in any way really. I personally think it's a great device, it's just not for me.

The best phone is the one that suits your needs. I'm just tired of all the RIM bashing. They both drive each other to a better product, and in the end we all win.

Rootbrian and Jake Storm like this.
    10-13-11 09:34 PM
    Saying that advertising is the only thing that sets Apple apart is disingenuous at best.

Apple makes good products.

You can argue that they are overpriced... you can say that they have loyalists that border on the psychotic.

What you cannot say in good conscience (IMHO) is that the mindshare did not start with an excellent product. They provide an ecosystem that is almost unrivaled.

Advertising does not cover up a bad product for too long.

No, I do not use the iPhone.
    10-13-11 09:45 PM
    Similar to the messaging and security ecosystem of Blackberry? That's unrivaled as well.

MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    10-13-11 09:51 PM
    Similar to the messaging and security ecosystem of Blackberry? That's unrivaled as well.

Yep... just the ecosystem the non-Jason Bournes that make up most of the world are looking for.

Now that is a slogan that will sell Berrys: check out our messaging and security "ecosystem" and compare it to the communication, business and entertainment ecosystems of our rivals.

Frankly, there should be a one week moratorium on saying anything about the messaging benefits of Blackberry. Seriously.
    vrs626 likes this.
    10-13-11 09:57 PM
    I care about my security/privacy. I care that the messaging and email capabilities allow me to work AND keep in touch with friends.

The iPhone may 'inspire' people, but in the end, the people making decisions get the job done on a Blackberry.

Have fun playing games on your phone buddy!

MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    10-13-11 10:01 PM
    By the time Verizon got the phone the antenna problems were solved. I still do firmly believe that Apple shouldn't have released the phone with this issue to begin with, and should have fully owned up to it when it was discovered by the public.

Jobs: You're holding it wrong. Look! Everyone else has this problem too so it's OK!

Mike L: We're sorry for letting you down. You deserve better from us and we're very sorry for your inconvenience. We won't let anyone sleep until the problem gets resolved.

Which way is better?
    One of the most foolish and arrogant business statements. Like, ever. Still blows me away.
    10-13-11 10:07 PM
    By the time Verizon got the phone the antenna problems were solved.
    Factually incorrect: the same issue was found according to Consumer Reports. Yet there's virtually no dropped call issues on Verizon's network. Hmmm. . .

Verizon iPhone 4: Mind the gap, our tests show
    vrs626 likes this.
    10-13-11 11:25 PM
    No comment.
    EDIT: I'm not an engineer, but I know an excellent electronics engineer known as photonicinduction.
    10-14-11 12:18 AM
    Actually, the latter is a great way to describe Apple until they came up with a product that set the world on fire - the iPod. They weren't the first to make a portable media player - and they were never the best - but with the help of their marketing department they made it a product that everyone had to have. It was the iPod that made Apple relevant again, nothing else. Remember that the economy was great when the iPod was released, and unlike Macs it was a luxury that was within the reach of everyone. They capitalized on that to make Apple the company it is today.

So yes, marketing is completely what set Apple apart in the early days of Job's second tenure with Apple, and it continues to set Apple apart.
    It's not though. Using your justification I could make a piece of s*** and sell it like hot cakes as long as my marketing team makes it look good. Marketing has a lot to do with the successes and failures of companies a lot of the time, but to say Apple is the world's most valuable company simply because they marketed well is utter blasphemy; you cannot discount all of Apple's other top employees like Jony Ive and Scott Forstall among others -- neither of which are involved in marketing.
    f1rewire and blacker_berry like this.
    10-14-11 03:14 AM
    Would there even be an iPhone without Blackberry? Come on people, give credit where it's due. I'm not bashing it in any way really. I personally think it's a great device, it's just not for me.

The best phone is the one that suits your needs. I'm just tired of all the RIM bashing. They both drive each other to a better product, and in the end we all win.

How would you justify RIM being the, or even a catalyst in the existence of the iPhone?
    f1rewire likes this.
    10-14-11 03:19 AM
    lol About time...congratulations Apple tehehehehe
    10-14-11 07:07 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD