... is something I've been reading/hearing a lot lately on these forums. I am a HUGE BB Fanboy (yes, I admit it), but that attitude sounds so defeatist.

It is true that RIM can still have a place of relevancy in #2 or #3 spot, but the defeatist attitude is really just that, a losing attitude.

To have that mentality of settling for second or third place is very UN-American (RIM is Canadian company) and just sounds so... average... I hope the people at RIM HQ aren't settling, and if anything, I hope they have a "Go for Gold" winning mindset.

Not a big iPhone/iPad guy, but one thing I do give credit to Apple is that they've ALWAYS fought to be #1 in mobile realm since they released the first iphone, and that started with their leader (whether you like him or not), the late great Steve Jobs. Nowadays, it seems RIM and BB fans are just "trying to stay relevant".

I hope RIM is really going to "Be Bold" and fight to take back #1 smartphone.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    03-23-12 02:08 PM
    Not sure where to even start on this...
    wout000 likes this.
    03-23-12 02:13 PM
    I don't think it is defeatist, but realistic in the short term.

Apple didn't have a home-run with the first swing; it took a little bit of time. I think the realistic view is that RIM is not going to regain the top spot any time soon, so they need to focus on remaining profitable and stopping loss of subscribers.

Now, the alternative is pouring all their resources into a one final push. That might not be the best move for investors.

In any case, I see the original statement as an indication that RIM is still very much alive. If we measure success in the mobile sphere by being number one, then we only have one success. We know that isn't necessarily true.
    03-23-12 02:19 PM
    After owning my iPhones for a few months now, as well as keeping the Curve 8330 for the 3rd line, I can see why in reality, in real world use, in all things that are practical in professional and secure use, BlackBerry phones are indeed number 1!
    03-23-12 02:22 PM
    remember, if there are less things to choose from, we all lose. I always hope for several well built and reliable electronic lines, regardless of who makes them.
    03-23-12 02:24 PM
    I don't think RIM is looking to produce the 2nd or third best phone out there. It's the media and public perception that has turned everything into a sporting match mentality. There's this idea that there's going to be one platform that "wins" and everyone else can su ck it and who doesn't want their "team" to win. Right? It's so silly. Even in sports, there's the same amount of teams once the season ends and for the most part, whether your team won, did well or blew it, it doesn't really change your life.

They need to strive to make the best phone they can, but the measure of how good it is can't be based on "did it sell more than the iPhone?" or as the media likes to pit everything, "is it an iPhone killer?" They need to stay in the race, but it's a marathon, not a quick sprint to a finish.
    03-23-12 02:41 PM
    RIM needs to stop losing subscribers in NA. Once they have "stabilized the ship", they can look to begin the climb back to #1.
    03-23-12 03:12 PM
    Personally I don't care if the Blackberry I'm using is the number 1 phone based on sales. I don't need to be part of a particular phone herd or cult to feel special. I just want them to make great devices, that can do everything that people expect a smart phone to do, and still do what I expect a Blackberry to do. If they do this, then they will sell plenty of devices and be relevant. If everyone used and liked the same things life would be boring.
    kbz1960 and Chrisy like this.
    03-23-12 03:19 PM
    Personally I don't care if the Blackberry I'm using is the number 1 phone based on sales. I don't need to be part of a particular phone herd or cult to feel special. I just want them to make great devices, that can do everything that people expect a smart phone to do, and still do what I expect a Blackberry to do. If they do this, then they will sell plenty of devices and be relevant. If everyone used and liked the same things life would be boring.
    That's the challenge. They don't.
    03-23-12 04:29 PM
    Android is #1 right now....does this make apple less successful cause they are number 2 and are defeated?

Android activations are some 800,000 a day now. that means that in it takes about around 15 days for android to sell as many handsets as RIM is doing in around 90 days. You cant honestly say if RIM doesnt sell that many phones with BB10 and regain #1 they fail? They shouldnt expect to do this, its just not realistic. They need to set their goals in smaller increments. Getting OS 2 out in February was one of those goals and they met it. They are building from there now.
    03-23-12 05:36 PM
    I don't think RIM is looking to produce the 2nd or third best phone out there. It's the media and public perception that has turned everything into a sporting match mentality. There's this idea that there's going to be one platform that "wins" and everyone else can su ck it and who doesn't want their "team" to win. Right? It's so silly. Even in sports, there's the same amount of teams once the season ends and for the most part, whether your team won, did well or blew it, it doesn't really change your life.

They need to strive to make the best phone they can, but the measure of how good it is can't be based on "did it sell more than the iPhone?" or as the media likes to pit everything, "is it an iPhone killer?" They need to stay in the race, but it's a marathon, not a quick sprint to a finish.
    Same as in the music industry, do you seethe crap that goes xxx platinum these days.
    While great artists struggle to sell.
    mithrazor likes this.
    03-23-12 06:03 PM
    Well, we don't own RIM. If they're number one it doesn't pay my bills. I just want them around and making enough money to make great phones and get app devs interested.
    03-23-12 06:03 PM
    Well, we don't own RIM. If they're number one it doesn't pay my bills. I just want them around and making enough money to make great phones and get app devs interested.
    This post might be the BEST post I've ever read.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-23-12 06:16 PM
    The new BB10 phones have to rock, plain and simple. The PB was a failure, but the general public doesn't really associate the name Blackberry with a tablet, so I don't think the brand is tarnished.

Cool hardware does get noticed these days (that's why the Samsung Galaxy phones sold so well and the new Motorolas did not), so I'm sure RIM will try to release an interesting form-factor. As well, I'm sure they're working on an eco-system to complement the new hardware. So it's just a matter of time, they'll get there.
    JR A and Chrisy like this.
    03-23-12 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD