Hey Everyone,

Important developments with RIM.

Apparently what's happening is that the RIM NOC infrastructure is apparently getting too costly to maintain.

With BlackBerry 10 there is speculation that RIM would be cutting of BIS in favor of traditional data plans.

Now you may be wondering what this actually means, here's a just a few things which the BIS helps us with.

1. Data compression- Many users are living in countries in which unlimited data/BIS is not offered or no longer available. Without the data compression RIM has through utilizing the NOC we lose that ability to go on to lower capacity data caps.

2. Push Email- Now for this one it might not be as major since RIM is using a combination of ActiveSync and the NOC already. With PlayBook OS 2.0 the NOC is involved in the initial email setup as well as if your PlayBook is set up with BES or Mobile Fusion it works over the NOC. Push email CAN work over generic data as demonstrated with the PlayBook not enrolled in BES/Mobile Fusion, so this one might not be as big.

3. Social Networking/Social Only Plans- Here in Canada, as well as many other parts of the world, There are two types of "data" plans with the BlackBerry smartphone. The first is the data plan which is usually limited with some sort of cap. 500 MB or 1 GB for instance. This lets you use all functionality over 3G/EDGE etc. Meaning you can browse the web, use any applications that access the web browser, email, etc- Basically the whole deal.

The second type of "data" plan is what we call the social networking plan (goes by various names in different parts of the world). This type of plan lets the user use any applications which use BIS data with some limitations. For example, facebook, twitter, myspace, windows live messenger, yahoo messenger, google talk, BlackBerry messenger and AOL messenger would work over your 3G/EDGE data connection. However the limitation with these plans is that email typically cannot be used over the data connection, neither can the browser. The browser can be only used over WiFi with these social networking only plans.

There's more involved with BIS and the NOC but those are the highlights I think a lot of users can easily visualize.

The NOC will still probably exist for services like BlackBerry Messenger, but if the RIM will no longer use the NOC for data compression and not use it for BlackBerry 10 devices, the ramifications of that are going to be huge, I can only imagine.

I'll try to keep you all up to date on the situation, when I heard this news I was thinking this can't be possible. So I waited a while and tried to see if this was actually true. According to certain individuals which I cannot name for security reasons, it does seem to be at least somewhat true

Personally I am slightly skeptical but who else can generate enough traction for RIM to notice?

RIM representatives frequent Crackberry, and we all know that a backlash over RIM on Crackberry can and possibly will make its way up to the top management.

Can't speak for everyone, but I do know that many users love their BlackBerry devices for BIS, let's hope this does NOT get taken away.

-A Concerned BlackBerry and PlayBook user.
    04-06-12 06:22 PM
    As long as we have push and compressed data I'm good to go!
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    04-06-12 06:37 PM
    RIM needs to IMPROVE BIS, BES... NOT get rid of it.

Security is RIMs strength, achieved with BIS

Sent from my BlackBerry Scorch 9860 using Tapatalk
    searzyOUT!!
    04-06-12 06:39 PM
    I wish to yell that it is wrong and curse this thread....but that may possibly be true. I don't mean to give credibility to rumor but strictly from my experience between Android and Blackberry, I've discovered that media and web browsing just works better without the middle-man servers. I think that if they want OS10 to flourish they would not handicap it with their BIS servers except to pass along BBMs and PINs. Also as the OP mentioned, it would take strain off their servers and remove them from liability if they shutdown again. It's easy to sue Blackberry if some of their Data Centers go down now but if in the future the Data Centers ONLY push BBMs to you, it isn't such a big problem anymore. That's almost like your facebook messages no longer being pushed to your device. It's an inconvience but certantly not going to impede you from carrying out business and personal tasks.

PS| I just woke up from a nap and my spell check doesn't want to correct the misspelled words so I ask that you please ignore them
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-06-12 06:40 PM
    I wish to yell that it is wrong and curse this thread....but that may possibly be true. I don't mean to give credibility to rumor but strictly from my experience between Android and Blackberry, I've discovered that media and web browsing just works better without the middle-man servers. I think that if they want OS10 to flourish they would not handicap it with their BIS servers except to pass along BBMs and PINs. Also as the OP mentioned, it would take strain off their servers and remove them from liability if they shutdown again. It's easy to sue Blackberry if some of their Data Centers go down now but if in the future the Data Centers ONLY push BBMs to you, it isn't such a big problem anymore. That's almost like your facebook messages no longer being pushed to your device. It's an inconvience but certantly not going to impede you from carrying out business and personal tasks.

PS| I just woke up from a nap and my spell check doesn't want to correct the misspelled words so I ask that you please ignore them

The biggest problem I personally have is compressed data. I love the native browser, native apps on the BlackBerry and I think with BlackBerry 7 shows progress. I do agree that BIS can cause some delay with browser speeds but I'll take a few seconds delay for compressed data any day.
    wallynan, Neely2005 and CDM76 like this.
    04-06-12 06:44 PM
    I wish BIS stays too.
    04-06-12 07:01 PM
    Wait...who says RIM is dumping BIS????
    04-06-12 08:17 PM
    Wait...who says RIM is dumping BIS????
    That is a good question, I can't seem to find any link with this on there. OP would you mind giving a link to where you found this at?
    04-06-12 08:19 PM
    No source = not happening.

Next.
    04-06-12 08:34 PM
    No source = not happening.

Next.
    Read the full post, I clearly mention I have a source
    Scotter75 likes this.
    04-06-12 08:35 PM
    How about a link. Or it is from somebody that knows somebody whos uncle knows somebody that works at RIM?
    Spencerdl and jonathon.94 like this.
    04-06-12 08:43 PM
    No offense OP, but we simply you simply can't be taken seriously without a legit source. While it may be true that you know some Blackberry employees, we have no way to confirm this and anyone with a computer and internet connection can make up a story and post it up here. We need a solid source.
    Neely2005 and Spencerdl like this.
    04-06-12 08:46 PM
    No offense OP, but we simply you simply can't be taken seriously without a legit source. While it may be true that you know some Blackberry employees, we have no way to confirm this and anyone with a computer and internet connection can make up a story and post it up here. We need a solid source.
    So you're saying that you want to potentially get a few employees fired from their position?

what am I supposed to do copy and paste their names here? There's also another thread here too about the same topic, we both have different sources and when you have different sources giving you the same story, you have to consider it could be happening.

Plus, I have a pretty good track record here on Crackberry anyways as well as Howard Forums. Why would someone spend time from their day just to post random nonesense? (okay maybe if you visit the PlayBook forum you'll see some random nonsense from time to time but that's not the point).

Take it at face value or leave it, multiple sources are stating that BIS could be trashed because the NOC is apparently too expensive for RIM to maintain.
    04-06-12 09:02 PM
    NO BASIS......nothing to see here folks, move along.....keep it moving......
    04-06-12 09:07 PM
    OK make it a hypothetical
    04-06-12 09:58 PM
    OK make it a hypothetical
    Alright, hypothetically this COULD be a potential problem for RIM.

I know a lot of people are going to argue and say "Well the full data plan from RIM costs the same as any data plan" etc. But what they don't get is that BlackBerry data over 3G is compressed, BlackBerry over WiFi is not. So with WiFi browsing everything is fine and dandy but when you don't compress data, and you have a data limit, it really limits your usage.

Here's an article basically explaining the data compression for BlackBerry

Do You Know Your BlackBerry has DataSmart Technology? - BerryReview
    Neely2005 likes this.
    04-06-12 10:04 PM
    Regarding people asking about sources, I am the creator of the other thread he mentioned. I've got other sources too stating BIS will not be usable bnts list names.

But let's look at a source need you. If you kept Reading about PlayBook you will find I only uses the NOC for BBM & Video Chat.
    & RIM installed Active Sync cosidering it limitations in BIS. Same will happen to PlayBook 4G/3G it doesn't look like they are using any Data plans.

However another source from an Egyptian Carrier responsible for BB Services & Devices said BB10 will give you the chance to use either BIS or normal but it is said normal may not give you BBM access unless they find another way.
    04-07-12 04:13 AM
    BB10 might not use BIS but there's 77 millions on BBOS that still need it. BIS ain't going anywhere any time soon.
    04-07-12 04:17 AM
    Meh, good riddance...

People already have push email in gmail, .me mail etc.

BIS might have had ots place 5 years ago or so, but not anymore... The only place where compression makes a difference really, is with email anyways. most of the browsing data you look at when you browse, pictures, audio or video for example, IS already compressed, so the extra time that BIS takes to compress it an extra 2. Or 3 percent just isn't worth it. And it does almost nothing to compress the real data hogs: video and audio.
    04-07-12 04:29 AM
    I hope they keep it how it is, everything works fine. If they can do this, but ditch BIS and no sort of loss for the users then it's fine.
    But surely if data compression is lost then more data will be needed, hence higher prices possibly. Let's just hope this isn't the case.
    04-07-12 04:31 AM
    Blackberry is nothing without the Blackberry Internet Service.
    04-07-12 04:31 AM
    Got some news now from 2 more valid sources that I trust. That BIS is not going away.

I agree with thise, Why? Because PlayBook & BB10 tablets got Bridge included like if no more BIS why have Bridge and not just tethering?.

BlackBerry Internet Service websites state BlackBerry Tablet setup is not possible from here. That means there is another way to support it.

RIM is currently fixing a new NOC in India and Singapore I think. If NOC costs them. Why are they starting new ones?
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    04-07-12 04:38 AM
    All I know is, that they will just pay more attention to BES since its really their forte. Nobody said they'll be dumping BIS.
    04-07-12 04:40 AM
    Meh, good riddance...

People already have push email in gmail, .me mail etc.

BIS might have had ots place 5 years ago or so, but not anymore... The only place where compression makes a difference really, is with email anyways. most of the browsing data you look at when you browse, pictures, audio or video for example, IS already compressed, so the extra time that BIS takes to compress it an extra 2. Or 3 percent just isn't worth it. And it does almost nothing to compress the real data hogs: video and audio.
    The compression ratio is 2 to 1 for browsing and 4 to 1 for email, not 2 or 3%, massive difference. And it's even a bigger difference when you reload a page as it only uses a fraction of the data it used to load the page the first time.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    04-07-12 04:48 AM
    The compression ratio is 2 to 1 for browsing and 4 to 1 for email, not 2 or 3%, massive difference. And it's even a bigger difference when you reload a page as it only uses a fraction of the data it used to load the page the first time.
    Bit isn't it just text? Or does it also include images/videos, because the latter are what make up the vast majority of data consumption.
    04-07-12 06:26 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD