TORONTO | Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:41pm EDT
    (Reuters) - Research In Motion has delayed its annual presentation to financial analysts, usually held during the BlackBerry World conference in May, until it launches its next-generation smartphones.

"We decided to make BlackBerry World more focused on customers, developers and partners," RIM spokeswoman Tenille Kennedy said on Tuesday. "We will hold a separate session targeted at the interests of the investment community later this year, once BlackBerry 10 is launched."

A date and location for the meeting have not yet been decided.

RIM had initially said it would launch the new BlackBerry 10 phones, which will use the same operating system as the company's poor-selling PlayBook tablet, early this year.

In December the company said it would delay the launch until late this year so it can make use of more powerful and energy-efficient chipsets expected to arrive in mid-2012.

(Reporting by Alastair Sharp; Editing by Peter Galloway)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82Q15Z20120327
    03-27-12 04:43 PM
    Just love they way they add "poor selling" to describe the PB. Great choice of adjectives that seem to define the whole mood of the article. :-(
    03-27-12 05:07 PM
    Gutsy move.

Could this mean the bb10's are coming sooner than expected?

Also see

http://crackberry.com/rim-delays-ann...omment-1249505
    03-27-12 08:22 PM
    I'm really bored with what analysts say about RIM.

This is a good move by RIM to start building momentum for BB10
    03-27-12 09:28 PM
    I'm really bored with what analysts say about RIM.

This is a good move by RIM to start building momentum for BB10
    Of coure it is, Ant. I honestly do not expect you to see it any other way...
    03-27-12 09:31 PM
    Gutsy move.

Could this mean the bb10's are coming sooner than expected?

Also see

http://crackberry.com/rim-delays-ann...omment-1249505
    This was def a gutsy play. They just snubbed their shareholders as well..

I hope it works out well for them. 'Cause if it doesn't...
    03-27-12 09:35 PM

I don't see how it snubbed the shareolders. I didn't see any mention of the earnings called being cancelled or resheduled..... just a meet and greet for financial analysts, who have been less then freindly with RIM over the last year. I think it's a godd call, screw them. Let them go look for free food and drinks elsewhere. Why would RIM bend over backwards for these guys at this point ? What are they gonna do ? Give them a bad rating ? lol
    03-27-12 09:45 PM

I don't see how it's a "snub" to the shareholders.

What I think is behind this was a realization on the part of the executive that they could host the second coming and it wouldn't make much of an impression on the analysts. What RIM needs to show analysts above all else is NUMBERS.

(PS: for the most part I don't believe in some big, dark conspiracy among the analysts; all they have to go on is history. I think RIM has the potential to dig themselves out of the hole they're in, but it's going to take a few good quarters--and one HE11 of a good BB10 launch--before the financial community is back on board)
    jonty12 and Stewartj1 like this.
    03-27-12 09:49 PM
    I don't see how it snubbed the shareolders. I didn't see any mention of the earnings called being cancelled or resheduled..... just a meet and greet for financial analysts, who have been less then freindly with RIM over the last year.
    They've been "less than friendly" over the past couple years because RIM's results have been poor.
    03-27-12 09:51 PM
    They've been "less than friendly" over the past couple years because RIM's results have been poor.
    No, silly. "They" hate RIM because it is a Canadian company that begins with R.
    03-27-12 10:00 PM
    I don't see how it's a "snub" to the shareholders.

What I think is behind this was a realization on the part of the executive that they could host the second coming and it wouldn't make much of an impression on the analysts. What RIM needs to show analysts above all else is NUMBERS.

(PS: for the most part I don't believe in some big, dark conspiracy among the analysts; all they have to go on is history. I think RIM has the potential to dig themselves out of the hole they're in, but it's going to take a few good quarters--and one HE11 of a good BB10 launch--before the financial community is back on board)
    Analysts make buy and sell recommendations. If I were a shareholder I would, most assuredly, want these same analysts encouraging others to buy RIM's stock as opposed to selling it.
    03-27-12 10:10 PM
    I don't see how it snubbed the shareolders. I didn't see any mention of the earnings called being cancelled or resheduled..... just a meet and greet for financial analysts, who have been less then freindly with RIM over the last year. I think it's a godd call, screw them. Let them go look for free food and drinks elsewhere. Why would RIM bend over backwards for these guys at this point ? What are they gonna do ? Give them a bad rating ? lol
    That would be meaningful (and insane) if they actually cancelled the briefings completely. However, they didn't do that. They postponed the meeting until after BB10 is out.

That sends a somewhat startling message. They are essentially saying to investors: "Hey, we don't have anything interesting to talk about in our current business until we get BB10 out. BB7 momentum? Not really worth talking about. App World? Not really much to say there. Playbook? Well... Corporate adoption of Fusion? Not really much to say there either..."

It just confirms to investors that all chips are on BB10 now. On the one hand, yes, that is what we've known. On the other hand, it does largely confirm the expectation that this will be a very dry summer for RIM.
    vrs626 likes this.
    03-27-12 10:34 PM
    Just curious -- do other (tech) companies have briefings with analysts?
    03-27-12 10:49 PM
    I'm guessing the new BB10 must be spectacular and they are expecting to hit a home run.
    03-27-12 11:22 PM
    I think theres a misunderstanding here.... or maybe I'm tired.... or maybe it was just my typos :P

"I didn't see any mention of the earnings called being cancelled or resheduled..... just a meet and greet for financial analysts"

I was reffering to the Quartely Earnings call scheduled for tomorrow Thursday.
    Research In Motion - Investor Events

Yes the wine and cheese party normally held at BBWC has been delayed, but it's the earnings call investors are interested in.
    Stewartj1, jonty12 and Thunderbuck like this.
    03-27-12 11:38 PM
    Analysts make buy and sell recommendations. If I were a shareholder I would, most assuredly, want these same analysts encouraging others to buy RIM's stock as opposed to selling it.
    And as a shareholder, I completely agree. It would make me very happy to see RIM pick up some "strong buy" recommendations.

The thing is, sentiment plays a big role in the market, and the prevailing sentiment right now is that RIM is circling the drain. Given that sentiment, it is unlikely that the company could demonstrate anything that is going to change the analysts' opinions much.

In fact, if RIM does have revolutionary new features in BB10 that might sway analysts, it might be better to keep a lid on them until launch.

Bottom line: I think the analysts may be as tired of demos as some of us are; why bother?
    jonty12 likes this.
    03-28-12 02:49 AM
    if ignorance and blind giving like youre doing is anti-troll...I'm proud to say I"m a troll. Instead of calling this story what it is...RIM ED UP AND CONTINUES TO. You say(in a girly voice) "I'm bored" You're just as bad as Americans with flag tattoos
    03-28-12 03:12 AM
    if ignorance and blind giving like youre doing is anti-troll...I'm proud to say I"m a troll. Instead of calling this story what it is...RIM ED UP AND CONTINUES TO. You say(in a girly voice) "I'm bored" You're just as bad as Americans with flag tattoos
    maybe I need more coffee, but I'm a touch confused here....
    howarmat likes this.
    03-28-12 03:16 AM
    RIM still makes exciting stuff, something crazy just happened up there for some reason or another. I too have RIM stock( bought real cheap). I think the best way for RIM to recover is to focus on what they have now, make it rock solid and glitch free, get the BB10 out and stop with the gimmicks and "new" OS, just update like everyone else. Sure up the system. The Analyst want to see a player. RIM has always been a player. It just seems some people just got to the point where they actually thought they walked on water up there.
    03-28-12 03:18 AM
    maybe I need more coffee, but I'm a touch confused here....
    I suspect the language filter removed all the meaningful bits from his(?) post...
    03-28-12 03:20 AM

These Analysts can take their recommendations from the earnings call

RIM catering to a group who are largely Neutral on RIM isn't a good use of time by the staff that would be involved.

I like the postponement, let people write about how mad they are it is postponed that is better then them writing about how BB10 still isn't out and when we asked for a delivery date we weren't given one so it must be delayed!!"
    Thunderbuck and fanatical like this.
    03-28-12 06:52 AM
    That would be meaningful (and insane) if they actually cancelled the briefings completely. However, they didn't do that. They postponed the meeting until after BB10 is out.

That sends a somewhat startling message. They are essentially saying to investors: "Hey, we don't have anything interesting to talk about in our current business until we get BB10 out. BB7 momentum? Not really worth talking about. App World? Not really much to say there. Playbook? Well... Corporate adoption of Fusion? Not really much to say there either..."

It just confirms to investors that all chips are on BB10 now. On the one hand, yes, that is what we've known. On the other hand, it does largely confirm the expectation that this will be a very dry summer for RIM.
    The quote "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt" comes to mind in this situation.

RIM has FINALLY learned that it is better to just shut up, and keep trucking, then to have conferences and that do nothing but damage them.

What is good, is that This is Thorstens First BB World as CEO, and he wants to change his interaction with the media, that should be perfectly acceptable, people want a different CEO, and he is doing things, albeit small things, differently than the former heads of state.
    03-28-12 06:57 AM
    At WES (BBWC) RIM would set aside a good bit of time to perform a show and tell. They wouldnt necessarily outright show the new product, just demonstrate some features, show a promo video, etc. I believe this move by RIM is a good one. First, they can give the analysts real world experience on the devices, rather than just (seemingly) another vaporware promo video. Second they can truly discuss the direction of the company now that BB10 is out. Keep in mind nothing has been discussed past BB10, there is no roadmap past that, that anyone has talked about. Third, and finally, it gives Thorsten 9 months before he sits down with them, rather than 4 months.
    03-28-12 06:59 AM
    TORONTO | Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:41pm EDT
    (Reuters)
    RIM had initially said it would launch the new BlackBerry 10 phones, which will use the same operating system as the company's poor-selling PlayBook tablet, early this year.

(Reporting by Alastair Sharp; Editing by Peter Galloway)

RIM delays analyst meeting | Reuters
    This guy or his editor don't seem to actually read the news. Isn't the PlayBook the top selling tablet in Canada behind the iPad? Perhaps it was just a Reuters USA story regurgitated onto the Canadian wires.
    03-28-12 07:53 AM
    I can fully understand cancelling/postponing the analyst meet & greet for a couple of reasons.

First.. When one of RIM's problems has historically been to "Over promise and under deliver", it's not surprising when the new CEO takes steps to remove the "Over Promise" from the equation.

Second.. It appears as if Thorsten has taken a page from the Apple playbook. Which isn't necessarily a bad idea.
    03-28-12 08:26 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD