canadianbusiness.com is officially calling the "RIM is dead" headlines premature.
    From the editors: There's still lots of life left in RIM | CanadianBusiness.com

good read and a very different tone then we've been accustomed to.
    01-19-12 09:04 PM
    Good read. I enjoyed it and hope they're right about the turn around. If the media in general could say more nice things for a change, that alone would make a difference. 1 step at a time...
    01-19-12 09:48 PM
    I would generally agree and think it is a valid viewpoint. Companies don't usually go away fast, especially highly successful ones like RIM.

However, there are major differences in the PC market when the Apple II was around and the smartphone market. The PC market was in its infancy when the Apple II was popular. Few people had them and the prices were still high. Generally only the elite had them. The smartphone market is highly established, and while not mature by many standards, the product has penetrated the market heavily. People from all walks have smartphones and drive demand. The shifts in share and the churn are high. The norm of a 2 year upgrade cycle makes it faster. People did not buy a new PC in 1983 every two years.

Just saying they are different markets and times. I don't find the comparison completely valid. I also still don't think RIM will die. I just wished they had used data and another more relevant example.
    phonejunky likes this.
    01-20-12 11:44 AM
    The comparison of the 2 are from different times withing the tech industry so idk how close of a comparison can be made here. However, I do agree that not all is lost for RIM....all it takes to get things going is one success story to start the turn of the public's opinion of RIM and its products. RIM needs to focus and execute!
    01-21-12 04:35 AM
    Not a bad article at all, but I think he has the comparison wrong: there were many, many more failures at Apple for many more years, especially when Jobs was pushed out, and it took a true leader to get the company back on track, not just a new product.

A lot more can go wrong if RIM has the wrong leadership, I think this is the major issue at the moment, and a better comparison would be that RIM is in 1995, and just like Apple things are looking bad due to poor decisions, poor execution, and poor hardware, and everyone is waiting until 1997 for a leader (Steve Jobs) to come in and save the day.
    01-21-12 07:36 AM
    Today, a lot of media companies suckle the Apple tit and indulge iMama by scrutinizing RIM harshly to the point of bias

I presume Google search does what it can to make sure people see the negative headlines

It's fine if media writes about losing market share, how to change, etc...but constant "walking-dead" or "gone-next year" headlines steer consumers away from the brand. The articles I read seem biased(corrupted)...where's impartial reporting
    01-21-12 09:29 AM
    That's a science fiction website, right? What else could a Canadian business website say, it's one of the country's largest companies.

canadianbusiness.com is officially calling the "RIM is dead" headlines premature.
    From the editors: There's still lots of life left in RIM | CanadianBusiness.com

good read and a very different tone then we've been accustomed to.
    01-21-12 09:35 AM
    Yeah I think RIM is at its lowest point right now, I'm almost at the point of leaving as well but if I do, I will be at the sidelines to see how RIM will make its comeback. It won't be easy, but what a joy for us to see how they will do it.
    01-21-12 09:45 AM
    Yeah I think RIM is at its lowest point right now, I'm almost at the point of leaving as well but if I do, I will be at the sidelines to see how RIM will make its comeback. It won't be easy, but what a joy for us to see how they will do it.
    Rim is nowhere near its lowest point. The only way things will be better is if they get rid off both dual-core ceo's. The board of directors clealy know that these pair of idiots are the dual-core reason why things are so bad.
    01-21-12 11:33 AM
    Rim is nowhere near its lowest point. The only way things will be better is if they get rid off both dual-core ceo's. The board of directors clealy know that these pair of idiots are the dual-core reason why things are so bad.

What do you do if the board of directors suck

I read the bios of some of the board members and I think they're not the right people for the job

They probably need an outsider, like what Mullaly did for Ford, but they should remain RIM, an independent company
    01-21-12 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD