I agree with AG - not being able to watch youtube videos doesn't seem like a dire enough issue. If they were charging for no BIS service, loss of email function, BBM maybe. Youtube? Sorry, no.

I had issues with youtube on my Storm. Didn't call RIM - I just didn't watch youtube. It's youtube for crying out loud.
    Its not just YouTube its any type of video even if it uses its own video play ie Player for YouTube and videos in the video folder. Its branded to rogers not sure if its out of warranty though but I've called rogers in the past to address this issue but they told me I have to be a subscriber first. The problem I get is that whenever I try to play a video it gets stuck on the black loading screen I've also tried different OSs to solve the issue but didn't work. I've also tried to reboot the device but after play 2 videos it goes back to the same problem again. U can't blame me for not purchasing a blackberry from Fido when they only had the pearl 8100 last october when I signed my contract. And also Fido had cheaper plan at the time which is why I chose them but now I do regret my decision as they have introduced cheaper student plans and newer phones. Anyways I don't think RIM should throw my under the bus if I am using their product and paying for their service regardless which carrier branded phone I use. Its their product and should offer full tech support when having a glitch or something. Just frustrating.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 08:34 AM
    Are you using the mobile optimized YouTube?

m.youtube.com

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    11-09-10 09:47 AM
    Are you using the mobile optimized YouTube?

m.youtube.com

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    Yup tried every that has been suggested by everyone here. I don't think the problem is from YouTube. Its a video bug I've been having for a while and can't solve even with upgrading/downgrading OSs. I guess i'll have upgrade to the 9700 since this sounds like a permanent bug

11-09-10 09:52 AM
    Its not just YouTube its any type of video even if it uses its own video play ...

whenever I try to play a video it gets stuck on the black loading screen ...

after play 2 videos it goes back to the same problem again ...
    Interesting set of symptoms. Particularly when it comes to video that you have recorded and the fact that playback will work a couple times after a restart.

I presume you have upgraded to the current Bold 9000 OS, that rules out the bugs in the early release Bold 9000.

What version are you currently using? Options / About will show you that information.
    11-09-10 10:09 AM
    Interesting set of symptoms. Particularly when it comes to video that you have recorded and the fact that playback will work a couple times after a restart.

I presume you have upgraded to the current Bold 9000 OS, that rules out the bugs in the early release Bold 9000.

What version are you currently using? Options / About will show you that information.
    I have tried OS 5.0.0.610, .882 (official Rogers version) hoping this would sove my issue but unfortunately nothing has changed and i'm currently running Willboy v8 over .882 but that hasn't solved the issue yet either.

11-09-10 10:19 AM
    Pretty much every company ever does this. There's usually something in the instruction manual of whatever prodcut you buy that says what the tech support rates are, or you get free tech support for 30 days and after that it's $xx per call.
    11-09-10 10:24 AM
    I've had the video problem before. It was a bad memory card. Sometimes I could pull the battery and remove/re-insert the card and the problem would go away for a while. Ultimately, however I just replaced the card.

11-09-10 10:57 AM
    I've had the video problem before. It was a bad memory card. Sometimes I could pull the battery and remove/re-insert the card and the problem would go away for a while. Ultimately, however I just replaced the card.

Hmm I will try that later when I get home. But the problem isn't only with videos on my media card, its all video playback regardless where its play from for example YouTube, yesterberry, hope your suggestion solves this issue cuz I do like to watch YouTube video while bored at work.

11-09-10 11:27 AM
    I am sure one of our members will take home the prize for the right answer. HH may have it.

11-09-10 11:33 AM
    I am sure one of our members will take home the prize for the right answer. HH may have it.

What do u mean by that?

11-09-10 12:07 PM
    He means that somewhere in this debate someone will hit on a solution to your
    playback issue and that HootyHoo may have already
    11-09-10 12:11 PM
    Yes, I also suspect a hardware connection/failure issue with the Media Card. Removing it is the next diagnostic step.

11-09-10 12:17 PM
    Yes, I also suspect a hardware connection/failure issue with the Media Card. Removing it is the next diagnostic step.

Nope. just tried that and still didn't solve the problem yet

11-09-10 12:21 PM
    OK,

Lets concentrate on the Media Viewer, it is used by both YouTube and your saved videos.

Start from a battery pull. Select a short video clip, play it once. Back out of Media to the Home screen, then try it again.

If it fails at this point, we have a reproducible test to confirm progress.

If it does not fail, stay in Media and find a way to fail it.
    11-09-10 12:49 PM
    OK,

Lets concentrate on the Media Viewer, it is used by both YouTube and your saved videos.

Start from a battery pull. Select a short video clip, play it once. Back out of Media to the Home screen, then try it again.

If it fails at this point, we have a reproducible test to confirm progress.

If it does not fail, stay in Media and find a way to fail it.
    Saved and YouTube videos play fine after a battery pull but when YouTube videos fail to play randomly, everything else fail as well. Don't know what's causing this but its weird.

11-09-10 01:10 PM
    Don't know what's causing this but its weird.

Whatever is causing the failure is re-initialized with a battery pull.

If you are confidant you can play multiple video clips, that shifts the focus too YouTube content. If you can identify one specific file that will fail it, you can use that for testing purposes.

There is one more diagnostic step you should do.

Options / Status. Type H E L P to activate the built in self test.
    11-09-10 01:19 PM
    Whatever is causing the failure is re-initialized with a battery pull.

If you are confidant you can play multiple video clips, that shifts the focus too YouTube content. If you can identify one specific file that will fail it, you can use that for testing purposes.

There is one more diagnostic step you should do.

Options / Status. Type H E L P to activate the built in self test.
    Oh yeah and when I try to play a saved video after that video playback issue accurs it just freezes the media player and gives me an error message after 5 minutes tell my the process has been terminated.

And that diagnostic doesn't work, I tried typing in HELP but nothing happened.

11-09-10 01:42 PM
    What exactly is the error received?

How long after a battery pull does it take to start failing, or an approximate time to failure? (Hours? Days? Weeks?) and is it constant?

Does this happen on a fresh OS install, with no apps installed?

Does this happen with the external media card unplugged? (The source videos are located on your device memory?)

What is your memory size after a battery pull, and what is it when the issues start occurring?

Let's get this sorted.
    11-09-10 02:57 PM
    What exactly is the error received?

How long after a battery pull does it take to start failing, or an approximate time to failure? (Hours? Days? Weeks?) and is it constant?

Does this happen on a fresh OS install, with no apps installed?

Does this happen with the external media card unplugged? (The source videos are located on your device memory?)

What is your memory size after a battery pull, and what is it when the issues start occurring?

Let's get this sorted.
    It all starts after a battery pull (memory starts at around 22MB with about 14 apps installed). Saved videos play completely fine and also the Player for YouTube app. Then I play a YouTube video @ m.youtube.com. After 2 videos it stops playing after exiting the second video and play a new one. Then that's when everything starts to go downhill. Saved videos stop playing and the Player for YouTube app stops playing videos but when I close each of them, they freeze. Then after 5 minutes later I get an error message saying "Process (App Name) has been Terminated" and that's the last time videos play on my device until another battery pull. Its been happening for a while now and have posted threads here asking for help but no one would respond and if they do, the result wouldn't be as I'd hoped.

Last edited by luqman24; 11-09-10 at 04:08 PM.
    11-09-10 03:58 PM
    What is your device memory after the first video?
    What is your device memory after the second video?
    Does this same thing happen with the media card ejected from the device, the whole time of the testing? (use youtube for testing purposes)
    11-09-10 05:00 PM
    What is your device memory after the first video?
    What is your device memory after the second video?
    Does this same thing happen with the media card ejected from the device, the whole time of the testing? (use youtube for testing purposes)

The memory is stable and no mem leaks during playbacks . And the media card ejection doesn't effect the playback. I've found a pattern to when the problem happens, its whenever the playback is stopped because of the buffer so the video does not play nor show a picture then when I exit out of the clip it never plays after that. Weird behavior but I wish there was a solution to this.

11-09-10 07:36 PM
    If you want something more harmless to play with, go to Options, Status and type ' test ' (just the four letters - test). You won't see the text on-screen but you will now get to a diagnostic screen.

I know this works from OS 4.5 onwards but even though the tets comand works the screen is blank (for now) under OS 6.

Have fun.
    Opps.... make that TEST.
    11-09-10 08:38 PM
    Opps.... make that TEST.
    Ok that made more sense and worked. Good news is that all the tests have passed but surprised there was no video playback test which is where my issue was originated from.

11-09-10 11:30 PM
    The memory is stable and no mem leaks during playbacks . And the media card ejection doesn't effect the playback. I've found a pattern to when the problem happens, its whenever the playback is stopped because of the buffer so the video does not play nor show a picture then when I exit out of the clip it never plays after that. Weird behavior but I wish there was a solution to this.

When the playback stops, is it by your hand, or it just stops/fails to continue to buffer on it's own? I am curious if this is a cause, or maybe a symptom. Could you describe it a little more in detail/step by step?

Cheers
    11-10-10 06:24 AM
    When the playback stops, is it by your hand, or it just stops/fails to continue to buffer on it's own? I am curious if this is a cause, or maybe a symptom. Could you describe it a little more in detail/step by step?

Cheers
    During the video it randomly stop and says buffering but does not play. So what I get is a black screen that says "Buffering..." On the top right. Then after a while of waiting, I give up and stop the video and exit, and that's where the problem starts from. I have full bars of 3G at home and not sure why this is happening.

11-10-10 11:41 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD