12-07-11 10:07 PM
259 ... 678910 ...
tools
    ^^^ Are those phones new though? Second have phones have a HUGE market in West Africa, for example. people send branded phones there all the time.

Technically, the carriers don't lose money anyway. Someone is, in theory, being charged an ETF for selling a subsidized phone early. It won't benefit someone a whole lot (though I do remember a few years back when the iPhone had such value that people were actually selling them and paying ETFs and still coming ahead).
    11-27-11 02:55 PM
    Forgot to mention, that the subsidised phone system is abused and eventually the users are paying.

I don't know how they do it, but a huge number of AT&T and Verizon branded phones (BB, Apple, SE) find their way to the Indian black market and they are available for much less than from the legal channel. Obviously these trafficed phones are a loss to the carriers and they must have built it into the plans they offer their customers in USA. So basically you guys are subsidising the phones for the Indian black market.

As they say, there are no free lunches.
    The branded devices are the retail devices as well here. The only unbranded device is the iPhone. Every other device you buy at a carriers store for full retail is branded.
    11-27-11 02:55 PM
    ^^^ Are those phones new though? Second have phones have a HUGE market in West Africa, for example. people send branded phones there all the time.

Technically, the carriers don't lose money anyway. Someone is, in theory, being charged an ETF for selling a subsidized phone early. It won't benefit someone a whole lot (though I do remember a few years back when the iPhone had such value that people were actually selling them and paying ETFs and still coming ahead).
    I sold my iPhone 3G (6months used) and iPhone 3GS (a little over 8 months used) for $700 each. $1000 profit.
    11-27-11 02:58 PM
    I sold my iPhone 3G (6months used) and iPhone 3GS (a little over 8 months used) for $700 each. $1000 profit.
    Exactly... so that would cover ETF easily. Supposedly, that is why AT&T upped the ETF, and one can still make a tidy profit.

As I have said elsewhere, that is an indisputable benefit of an iOS device: resale value.
    11-27-11 03:07 PM
    Exactly... so that would cover ETF easily. Supposedly, that is why AT&T upped the ETF, and one can still make a tidy profit.

As I have said elsewhere, that is an indisputable benefit of an iOS device: resale value.
    Yup I didn't even pay the ETF though lol. I used the $700 to buy the 3GS when it came out (still had around $150 left over), then I spent the $700 on the 3GS to buy the 9700 and I believe that was only like $450 or something for AT&T business premier accounts. Then I returned the 9700 and got it all back and moved to VZW lol.

The iPhone isn't as valuable anymore though now that it is on multiple carriers. It is still up there though.
    Last edited by avt123; 11-27-11 at 03:13 PM.
    11-27-11 03:10 PM

Well they are the latest. And they are usually bought on contract.
    Must be the immigrant Indian population up to no good.
    You get old phones as well, but on those the carriers don't lose any money. I recall that my cousin told me that the carriers let you keep your old phones when you upgrade.So I guess the phone is paid off.
    Again I dont know how the new ones find their way here, but they do. I don't know then loopholes and if there is a way to take a phone on contract and then skip the contract completely. However I trust my fellow Indians enough to know that if there IS a way, they would have found it.
    11-27-11 03:17 PM
    There isn't the "fanbois" BS at TiPB. I hate that word BTW. I am certainly not a "boi" nor do I consider myself a fangirl, except of the Sharks and Minnesota Wild. The discussions at TiPB are civil and no one hates on any one specific device and it is an iPhone site. Here, if you don't worship RIM, you're a trolling asshat. Just goes to the quality of posters.
    I'm not being rude but actually making a conclusion for your post thus far to this one. Then go back to TIPB. If you like another device better than BB its alright. I'm not down on anybody for using whatever. Nor do I find any interest in anybody that uses BBs. Rim has held my interest for the better part of a decade. I hate the company APPLE. Always have. Dates back to grade school. Not the point.
    When you say Android that is just an os. Which is used by several brands. Samsung, Motorola, HTC just to name a few. None of these brands or other brands using the OS has built anything that I want. I thought I would like the new razr. I went and checked it out and found it to be more like the slvr than the razr. None the less I didn't like it.
    Have you not read the problems some people got when updateing their. Ip3 phones to ios4? That's an update @ that. Best I understand its not the ios4 kernel. Apple isn't all that compatable as you make it out to be. SIRI is still a challange for ip4. And looks like the ip4 will have to be JB just to have it. So what was APPLE thinking? If APPLE is so great at putting out what people want how come I JB so many IPs?
    11-27-11 07:58 PM
    I'm not being rude but actually making a conclusion for your post thus far to this one. Then go back to TIPB. If you like another device better than BB its alright. I'm not down on anybody for using whatever. Nor do I find any interest in anybody that uses BBs. Rim has held my interest for the better part of a decade. I hate the company APPLE. Always have. Dates back to grade school. Not the point.
    When you say Android that is just an os. Which is used by several brands. Samsung, Motorola, HTC just to name a few. None of these brands or other brands using the OS has built anything that I want. I thought I would like the new razr. I went and checked it out and found it to be more like the slvr than the razr. None the less I didn't like it.
    Have you not read the problems some people got when updateing their. Ip3 phones to ios4? That's an update @ that. Best I understand its not the ios4 kernel. Apple isn't all that compatable as you make it out to be. SIRI is still a challange for ip4. And looks like the ip4 will have to be JB just to have it. So what was APPLE thinking? If APPLE is so great at putting out what people want how come I JB so many IPs?
    Aren't the vast majority of iOS devices not jailbroken?
    11-27-11 08:23 PM
    Yes. The last estimate I saw was something like 10% or less. Just like the vast majority of Android users don't root.
    11-27-11 08:24 PM
    I don't jailbreak mine. I jail broke my 3GS and didn't care for it and removed it soon after.

I like stock. I rarely used themes on my BlackBerry too. I always found something I disliked with them.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    11-27-11 08:46 PM
    Now, see, if I got an iPhone, it would have to be jailbroken immediately. I am difficult like that.

I use Android now, and root everything in sight LOL.
    11-27-11 08:53 PM
    majority? Probally. I think that comes down to the folks that don't know how and the ones that did and either rejailed it or when updated left them jailed. This doesn't hurt my point. My point is that there is people that want some "more" from their ipones.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-27-11 09:03 PM
    But it could be argued that the majority of iPhone users (a sizable number) are happy with their devices, as-is, out of the box.
    11-27-11 09:15 PM
    Now, see, if I got an iPhone, it would have to be jailbroken immediately. I am difficult like that.

I use Android now, and root everything in sight LOL.
    I am like that with Android as well. Mostly to get rid of the garbage bloatware, secondly to get rid of the garbage manufacturer skin and third to increase battery life. I go all on with Android and I use to with iOS. Now for some reason I really don't care, especially since there is no untethered jailbreak.

majority? Probally. I think that comes down to the folks that don't know how and the ones that did and either rejailed it or when updated left them jailed. This doesn't hurt my point. My point is that there is people that want some "more" from their ipones.

There are people on every platform that want more from their device.

And it isn't "probably" it is fact. The majority of iOS users are not jailbroken. The majority of Android users are not rooted. The majority of BB users are on official carrier software.

If the majority of iOS users were jailbroken, I think some things would be different...
    Last edited by avt123; 11-27-11 at 09:37 PM.
    11-27-11 09:35 PM
    But it could be argued that the majority of iPhone users (a sizable number) are happy with their devices, as-is, out of the box.
    This is the case for me. It's perfect as is for me.

11-27-11 10:14 PM
    I find this VERY hard to believe

I'm sure many are happy with it as is out of the box, but Apps are the big draw, Commercials which come on EVERY Break during NHL games talk about apps, I truly can't believe that a majority of iPhone users don't download apps.

I have yet to meet an iPhone user who doesn't have 10+ apps on their phone for specific functions that make them love their phones. mind you, I admit I know less than 30 people with iPhones.
    11-27-11 10:28 PM
    This is the case for me. It's perfect as is for me.

But you downloaded and installed Tapatalk?
    Thus not perfect.

NOTHING Wrong with installing apps, I install apps on my BlackBerry, just saying that out of box perfection is not the case,
    11-27-11 10:29 PM
    Fair observation. I did not specify that I was referring to the jailbreak process only.

Technically, apps made for the native environment could be considered part of the stock Apple experience, couldn't they.
    11-27-11 10:35 PM
    Fair observation. I did not specify that I was referring to the jailbreak process only.

Technically, apps made for the native environment could be considered part of the stock Apple experience, couldn't they.
    I would not agree they are Stock

They require me to have an iTunes account, there for they are after market add ons to the experience...

it could be argued the experience for Apple IS the App shopping experience, but Out of the box, the iPhone is far less appealing than it is after 10 app installs,

NOTHING wrong with that. but none the less you need apps for the Apple experience to be complete
    11-27-11 10:40 PM
    there is not one platform that i would be satisfied with out of the box. I think BB might be easiest to get by with out of the box since i think twitter, facebook, IM apps come standard. I dont think that is the case with all platforms but not 100% sure about that. Not saying I think those preinstalled apps are the best BUT you do have them as options atleast
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-27-11 at 10:49 PM.
    11-27-11 10:44 PM
    But you downloaded and installed Tapatalk?
    Thus not perfect.

NOTHING Wrong with installing apps, I install apps on my BlackBerry, just saying that out of box perfection is not the case,
    To be clear, she didn't say anything about the device being "perfect" generally, but instead noted that the device was perfect for her. There's a big difference between "perfect for me" and "perfect," and installing App Store apps is a world away from jailbreaking.
    11-27-11 10:45 PM
    To be clear, she didn't say anything about the device being "perfect" generally, but instead noted that the device was perfect for her. There's a big difference between "perfect for me" and "perfect," and installing App Store apps is a world away from jailbreaking.
    The quoted was OUT OF THE BOX, installing something that is not in the box changes the out of the box
    11-27-11 10:47 PM
    They require me to have an iTunes account, there for they are after market add ons to the experience...
    If the requirement that a user have an iTunes account is your standard, then nothing about the iPhone is stock, as you can't register the phone (or even activate it) without an iTunes account. Therefore, by your standard, none of the iPhone experience is "stock."
    11-27-11 10:49 PM
    there is not one platform that i would be satisfied with out of the box. I think BB might be easiest to get by with out of the box since they i think twitter, facebook, IM apps come standard. I dont think that is the case with all platforms but not 100% sure about that. Not saying I think those preinstalled apps are the best BUT you do have them as options atleast
    I agree, as a Power user I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck with ONLY out of the box, BUT of all the platforms you can be assured that BlackBerry has the largest user base of Out of the box users.

My 8330 was out of the box it's entire life, NO settings were permitted to be changed. and many enterprise users face the same restrictions that their out of the box RIM designed experience is the only experience they are permitted, no app world, heck many with no access to a browser either in my experience,

It isn't a pleasant one, but I just noticed that post, and felt that it was very flawed as it was stated.
    11-27-11 10:50 PM
    And it isn't "probably" it is fact. The majority of iOS users are not jailbroken. The majority of Android users are not rooted. The majority of BB users are on official carrier software.
    If the majority of iOS users were jailbroken, I think some things would be different...
    So what's your arguement again? Probaly? Well I tried to concent that the majority of the ips isn't JB. I can't prove it either way. Matter of fact I know more people w/ JB ips than not. Still though you haven't discredited my point. Not all ip users is completely happy.
    Is it not enough your happy or not? Do you have what you want? So because I like my BB I have to read all this BS in a forum I come to get help and help others to learn or fix their. BBs? I mean if the other platforms is all that what's the atraction of sneaking around a BlackBerry forum? SMH
    11-27-11 10:56 PM
259 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD