I don't think the PlayBook itself was half-baked. It was the OS simply because of the lack of PIM features - email in particular.

"Oh, that will come later in an update... soon..."

Of course, people were thinking a couple weeks, maybe a month...

A whole YEAR later, and still nothing? That is kind of pathetic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What? A whole year? The PlayBook was released in April, its only been 7 Months.

Yes it totally sucks that we still have to wait for PIM features, but even if it comes in Feb like RIM said, it still won't be a year. LOL
    11-22-11 12:28 PM
    OP I agree with you.

Ultimately for me, the created the Bold 9930 and the Playbook. So all else is forgiven. Not forgotten, I think we should learn from our mistakes but RIM has done quite a bit to show they care about their clients.
    When Mike L. got in front of the whole world and said "we let you down. We are going work hard at earning your trust by giving you a hundred bucks in free apps and working to ensure this does not happen again" I truly believed him. He was a thousand times more honorable than someone else that said "if you are not happy with your phone, then bring it back. Other devices do this as well but we are so great we are going to give you a five dollar bumper because we care."

By the way, RIM is having some problems integrating the technologies. However, it is due to security. I don't want RIM to let go of this. If it takes more time then get it right and put it out when it is ready. I say this may seem like they are fumbling but it is a very good call.

Some of the criticism should be aimed at RIM but some of it is anti-competitive behavior. Honestly, the PB could run Hulu, Netflix, and Agry Birds from day one. However, these apps never came. Why? Well, let me just say that is not RIM's fault.

I stand with RIM because I believe in Mike and hey, they did make the Bold 9930. I would crawl over broken glass before I use another device.

Go BlackBerry!
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-22-11 at 12:48 PM.
    11-22-11 12:39 PM
    OP I agree with you.

I stand with RIM because I believe in Mike and hey, they did make the Bold 9930. I would crawl over broken glass before I use another device.

Go BlackBerry!
    I have never liked a device or company enough to crawl over broken glass to stay with them. OMG you qualify as a true fanboy after making that statement. LOL

I understand staying loyal to products, platforms, brands, etc but to a point. Heck I would qualify myself as somewhat loyal to RIM given I still hope they do some good stuff and lure me back. I still come here out of some appreciation for their additions to the market their strengths, but they have fallen short in my view.

They have done some good stuff in the last 6 months. The 9930, OS7, 9850, baseline QNX PB OS, etc. They just have to accelerate and replicate those good things to regain the mind share. They also need to market them well, and gain more developer support.
    11-22-11 12:56 PM
    RIM isn't on this earth to wow me? WTF? Next you're gonna tell me Santa Claus isn't real, the Tooth Fairy is a drunk and Kermit the Frog wears dresses.

Thanks for clarifying after reading your rant about their being Apple and Android bashers on the forum I wasn't sure how disconnected from reality you actually were.

This is a special interest site after all, and it is a special interest site geared to Blackberry. to cry about there being people here who don't like Apple or Android seems a bit odd to me. Do you go to say, Dodge truck Forums and lament there are people there that don't like Chevy or Ford?
    11-22-11 01:10 PM
    Sorry, but I use both a BB and an iPhone. I'm not even gonna comment on the iToy remark.
    Don't bother. He says the same stuff in every thread. He can't make it one day without calling an iPhone an iPhoney or iToy in at least one thread.
    11-22-11 01:28 PM

Ok... back onto topic.

Even if they do hit their current targets and timelines it will not mean much without the hype and marketing to attract those who are not ardent fanboy/girls of any platform.

RIM's transition sure has been painful and they're only now starting to get back in the right direction. But there are some bright spots on the horizon. Hopefully, they've done enough bloodletting to ensure they have a solid foundation to build up from and do well what they once did.

Marketing is a big hole that RIM has to fill in conjunction with punctual releases. Otherwise they will never do right in the Media's and consumers eyes.
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-22-11 01:49 PM
    Thanks for clarifying after reading your rant about their being Apple and Android bashers on the forum I wasn't sure how disconnected from reality you actually were.

This is a special interest site after all, and it is a special interest site geared to Blackberry. to cry about there being people here who don't like Apple or Android seems a bit odd to me. Do you go to say, Dodge truck Forums and lament there are people there that don't like Chevy or Ford?
    So you can't make an argument without telling someone else how crazy they are?

The entire Kermit the Frog wears post was sarcasm. In case you don't know what sarcasm is, a fine definition is here.

Moving on. My point was - and you seem to not grasp it - is that for every BB basher on this site, there are 5 more who hate Apple with a passion. The sad part is the Apple bashers on this site are way worse than the BB haters. At least the BB haters know how to construct a civil argument without resorting to first grade he tripped me so I'm gonna light his lunchbox on fire with a magnifying glass tactics.

I fully expect one of the mods to shut this thread down pretty soon.
    11-22-11 02:01 PM
    So you can't make an argument without telling someone else how crazy they are?

The entire Kermit the Frog wears post was sarcasm. In case you don't know what sarcasm is, a fine definition is here.

Moving on. My point was - and you seem to not grasp it - is that for every BB basher on this site, there are 5 more who hate Apple with a passion. The sad part is the Apple bashers on this site are way worse than the BB haters. At least the BB haters know how to construct a civil argument without resorting to first grade he tripped me so I'm gonna light his lunchbox on fire with a magnifying glass tactics.

I fully expect one of the mods to shut this thread down pretty soon.
    And I think izzachar's point was that this being a primarily BlackBerry user-focused site makes it a more appropriate place for Apple-bashers than BB-haters. Not that I subscribe to either camp there as I don't have any use for bashers or haters of any kind myself.

I personally prefer BB over Apple; that's why I'm here. I don't hate the latter and I acknowledge the shortcomings of the former, and I try to approach all discussions from that perspective. I personally have no love whatsoever for anything Android, so I just avoid those discussions altogether, as I have absolutely nothing positive or useful to contribute to them. In either case, I no longer waste any time or effort trying to force my personal preferences on anyone, nor will I judge anyone else for theirs that may differ from mine. It would be really nice if everyone could approach these discussions with that same mindset.

11-22-11 03:09 PM
    What? A whole year? The PlayBook was released in April, its only been 7 Months.

Yes it totally sucks that we still have to wait for PIM features, but even if it comes in Feb like RIM said, it still won't be a year. LOL
    You're right. I must have been thinking of when it was first "announced". That was around this time last year, wasn't it? And they still couldn't get PIM features before the actual launch. And this was a product originally envisioned for the corporate user. Only later at launch did they try to push it for consumers - making a big deal about Flash capability. They obviously saw corporate interest disappear if there was no native email (BB Bridge not withstanding).

Understand that I'm staying mostly on the sidelines. I have my Torch 9800 and I'm quite happy with it. My wife has an iPhone and she is happy with it. I just happen to prefer my Torch.

My only personal frustration with RIM is in how they handled the OS "upgradeability" situation - or lack thereof - with existing, and still relatively new, devices.

I was excited this past spring when we all saw some screenshots posted by RIM that showed some UI changes to expect in what was supposed to be a coming update. It specifically dealt with issues users had been complaining about ever since the introduction of OS 6 - the panels, or trays, that were fixed and un-customizable. This was obviously directed at existing OS 6 users who came to believe that this would soon come to us. No "nfc", no "compass", no "liquid graphics", nothing else talked about that would lead anyone to think that this was going to be anything but an easy tweak to the existing user interface. If that was all they did and released it as 6.1 at that time, I would have been happy.

But, no. Instead, they had to go and start dumping all that other stuff into it that required new hardware to work, they renamed 6.1 to 7, and said that existing phones can't have it.

I'd be happy if RIM released an OS 6.0.1.xxxx (there are TWO point places between the main version number and build number, after all) that had just that UI change that we've all wanted for so long - oh, and update the icons too.

Don't say "try a theme". I already have a theme that is stock, but uses the OS 7 icons. And I like it. But no one can seem to make a trayless/panelless theme that still has the up and down sliding homescreen capability. All the ones without the trays just end up like OS 5, which I don't want.

11-22-11 03:15 PM
    With all due respects to the people who provide "constructive" criticisms, when you point out that "for every one RIM basher there are 5 fanbois", I would just like to bring your attention to the fact that this IS a BB fans forum at the end of the day.
    I'm not advocating that Android and iPhone users should not come here, please do, the more the merrier. But by lamenting that there are more BB fanbois here and they don't take kindly to constructive criticism of RIM you are just fooling yourself.
    Of course people here wont take kindly to anti RIM comments. This is a heavily pro RIM site. The density of RIM fanbois is very high here. Some of them are objective and some not so much.
    The point I'm trying to make here is that if you are an Apple or Android user hating (sorry the politically correct words here would be "constructively criticising" ) RIM here, go ahead, but do be prepared for a backlash from the less objective fans, and take the knocks with a stiff lip. Don't complain about the fanbois being rude, as you choose to be here and knock RIM ( sometimes rightly so) in the midst of the fanbois ( objective and blind followers).
    I would expect the same if I went to iPhone forums and gave my constructive criticisms (of which I have a lot) about iPhones.
    Please don't interpret this as me saying that other platform users should stay away. I'm just telling how it is.
    11-22-11 03:16 PM
    ^ On TiPb, I've never heard anyone refer to BlackBerry as "CrapBerry" or anything like that, not the way iToy or iPhoney or iSheep or And(hem)roids (that's a new one I've heard today on CB) is thrown around here at the drop of a hat. People do discuss other platforms, but those immature comments just aren't thrown around over there. I don't understand why that type of language, which is very provoking, has to be used during civilized debates.
    ThePinkChameleon and jebulls like this.
    11-22-11 03:39 PM
    With all due respects to the people who provide "constructive" criticisms, when you point out that "for every one RIM basher there are 5 fanbois", I would just like to bring your attention to the fact that this IS a BB fans forum at the end of the day.
    There isn't the "fanbois" BS at TiPB. I hate that word BTW. I am certainly not a "boi" nor do I consider myself a fangirl, except of the Sharks and Minnesota Wild. The discussions at TiPB are civil and no one hates on any one specific device and it is an iPhone site. Here, if you don't worship RIM, you're a trolling asshat. Just goes to the quality of posters.
    11-22-11 03:41 PM
    There isn't the "fanbois" BS at TiPB. I hate that word BTW. I am certainly not a "boi" nor do I consider myself a fangirl, except of the Sharks and Minnesota Wild. The discussions at TiPB are civil and no one hates on any one specific device and it is an iPhone site. Here, if you don't worship RIM, you're a trolling asshat. Just goes to the quality of posters.
    I'm not debating how wrong or right the attitude is. Just saying how things are. Basic human nature I guess.
    Yes there are comments by some overzealous fans referring to the iPhone as an iToy, but the Apple users haven't exactly endeared themselves here. For every one iToy comment there are 5 "BB sucks" and "RIM is dead " comments.
    I guess what the over enthusiastic Apple/Android users do here would be the internet equivalent of walking in Iran with a huge American Flag wrapped around you and a hat saying "USA Rulez". You would be shot before you took ten steps.
    No one likes to be insulted on their home ground.
    I'm not defending rudeness here, but if people make glowing comments regarding Apple while bashing BB, then there would be an outburst from some overzealous RIM fans. And said Apple fan expecting polite applause is rather surprising. Humanity hasn't reached that level of maturity yet.
    All I'm saying is criticize RIM here if you want to, but be prepared to take the nasty comments in your stride.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 11-22-11 at 03:59 PM.
    11-22-11 03:56 PM
    I haven't seen "BlackBerry sucks" here though from any Apple or Android users. But I can't visit every thread. And much of RIM's own fans are doing the criticizing here, not just people of other platforms.

I, personally, haven't said anything bad or negative about BlackBerry or RIM. I can't speak for other users.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    11-22-11 04:28 PM
    I haven't seen "BlackBerry sucks" here though from any Apple or Android users. But I can't visit every thread. And much of RIM's own fans are doing the criticizing here, not just people of other platforms.

I, personally, haven't said anything bad or negative about BlackBerry or RIM. I can't speak for other users.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Well there are many of RIM sucks comments. It was quite bad here for a while, so much so that Kevin started a sticky titled " Cleaning up the forums and taking out the trolling trash".
    And yes you personally haven't said anything bad or over the top about BB and if you notice the responses to you have been generally favourable barring a few.
    Carrying forward my Iran Analogy, if one was to behave politely and respectfully in Iran, then even an American would be asked out for a cup of coffee by the locals .
    I guess politeness begets politeness.
    11-22-11 04:51 PM
    I prefer Blackberry to Apple and wouldn't switch to the iphone. But I would hardly call the Iphone a toy. Its a great device if it suits your needs and you like it. I don't.
    As much as I love RIM they did seriously drop the ball with the Playbook lacking mail BBM etc... its a great device I still plan on getting one.
    But back to the original point. I agree to a point that to a lot of people on this site no matter what RIM does they're going to bash it and take great delight in doing so. I'll never understand why but they do. RIM can't win. But some of the criticism is warranted with they're slow releases and the PB apps but on the same note if RIM would have waiting to put out the PB they'd be saying they're taking too long.
    As for OS upgrades thats a sore point for some people. But to me as long as I get update to the original OS (Bug and security fixes) I'm happy. If I want the latest and greatest OS I'll upgrade my device rather than having RIM try to put it on an older phone and it running like crap.
    11-22-11 05:06 PM

Ok... back onto topic.

Even if they do hit their current targets and timelines it will not mean much without the hype and marketing to attract those who are not ardent fanboy/girls of any platform.

RIM's transition sure has been painful and they're only now starting to get back in the right direction. But there are some bright spots on the horizon. Hopefully, they've done enough bloodletting to ensure they have a solid foundation to build up from and do well what they once did.

Marketing is a big hole that RIM has to fill in conjunction with punctual releases. Otherwise they will never do right in the Media's and consumers eyes.
    while this is true it will go along way with current owners. Think of how bad it will be if February rolls around with no OS 2 or one still lacking major features. Any credibility they have left with the current owners will pretty much be shot at that point.

At this point RIM needs to build up the confidence in its current owners almost more so than attract more outsiders.

You have the PB which has been a comedy of "promises" that have led to nothing being delivered to BBX phones that were hinted at being available end of this year that are now going to be quarter 3 next year earliest. Just once needs to surprise with something ahead of schedule showing that they are serious and are trying hard to turn the boat around.
    11-22-11 05:38 PM
    seems like everyone who doesn't visit crackberry(not including the playbook thread) would agree news papers, websites, lately everyone is hating on rim
    11-22-11 05:43 PM
    ^ On TiPb, I've never heard anyone refer to BlackBerry as "CrapBerry" or anything like that, not the way iToy or iPhoney or iSheep or And(hem)roids (that's a new one I've heard today on CB) is thrown around here at the drop of a hat. People do discuss other platforms, but those immature comments just aren't thrown around over there. I don't understand why that type of language, which is very provoking, has to be used during civilized debates.
    The question is, do people frequent TiPb and crap on everything Apple does? Because they come in here and crap all over every blessed thing RIM does or says and anything anybody else says about them. The truly sad part is, most of that crapping starts with something like 'I'm a long time BB user' or 'I've always been the biggest supporter of RIM' just before the fun begins. I don't think I've seen so much of it on any other forum for any other product or subject. In other words, a lot of the crapping comes from in our own house. Just curious.
    AlienSlacker and AZ87 like this.
    11-22-11 05:57 PM
    It seems quite civilized these days compared to earlier this year.
    11-22-11 06:10 PM
    You forgot Cr-Apple and Cr-App Store

It is my BB opinion that in a BB thread we should be able to say such wonderful things

It's thought-"provoking"...
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-22-11 at 07:28 PM.
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-22-11 06:20 PM
    seems like everyone who doesn't visit crackberry(not including the playbook thread) would agree news papers, websites, lately everyone is hating on rim

Definitely, it's a full-on assault

I kind of looks like there are forces trying to destroy RIM because 'some people' want 2 or three companies to control everything...RIM is the best company for a brighter future for all of us (Ex. they gave the 'people' BB Messenger for free ...and some sleaze-bags don't like that)
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-22-11 06:27 PM
    The question is, do people frequent TiPb and crap on everything Apple does? Because they come in here and crap all over every blessed thing RIM does or says and anything anybody else says about them. The truly sad part is, most of that crapping starts with something like 'I'm a long time BB user' or 'I've always been the biggest supporter of RIM' just before the fun begins. I don't think I've seen so much of it on any other forum for any other product or subject. In other words, a lot of the crapping comes from in our own house. Just curious.
    Exactly, I visited the iPhone forums it seems remarkably devoid of posters with "Old iPhone/BB9930" tags jumping into iPhone threads preaching the Gospel of Blackberry.

Hey they even have a thread over there entitled "Reasons to stay with iPhone" and not a single apostle of blackberry has jumped into the thread and vented their spleen about apple or yapped about how their BB was a better phone.
    11-22-11 06:28 PM
    You forgot Cr-Apple and Cr-App Store

It is my BB opinion that in a BB thread we should be able to say such wonderful things

It's thought-"provoking"...
    So you think it is ok for BB users to just bash people, but it is not ok for BB users to get bashed?

What kind of logic is that?

There should be no bashing, period. The fact that you think it is "wonderful" to use those words and do know they are provocative indicates that you like trolling.
    11-22-11 07:35 PM
    So you think it is ok for BB users to just bash people, but it is not ok for BB users to get bashed?

What kind of logic is that?

There should be no bashing, period. The fact that you think it is "wonderful" to use those words and do know they are provocative indicates that you like trolling.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fefgbrWUf04[/YT]

(the kinda gives it away)
    11-22-11 07:40 PM
259 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD