Forcing retailers both online and brick and mortar to have "special" listings, sections, floor space for apple products and purposely making apple products less compatible with non apple products and putting apple stickers in the iPhone box so the apple sheeple can advertise apple for free so more normal people can join the flock, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc,,... It's beyond advertising, its brain washing people into thinking something is better "Just because it's Apple". You can't even look at an apple product if it doesn't have a black display behind it with a white apple logo on it. Who do you think pays for all that promo garb? The customers do.

IPhone 3GS $49.99
    RIM 9810 $49.99

It's pretty simple math.

Flip side is, many people want to have their minds made up for them. Apple caters to this so the Apple Fans are part of the equation as well. You know, the computers that never screw up and don't need anti virus software blah, blah, blah,,...
    You seriously believe this too, huh? You think that because Apple products operate differently than PC and Android and BlackBerry and stickers come with their products that they are attempting to tap into the subconscious of consumers? Well you're right... in the sense that every single company looking for success is trying to 'get into the heads' of its consumers and build desire for their products. Apple doesn't try much harder than any other company to do so either, and if they do, it's because they put more money in advertising. Where's the issue in this? I'd bet $100 if all BlackBerry products came with 10 stickers, a shirt, a holster and a bluetooth with the BlackBerry logo, you'd love it.

Apple products aren't 100% virus free, but they all certainly have less opportunity to get a virus. Why? Partially because they operate differently. You can view that either as "Apple is so controlling, they only let you use their programs, etc." or as "Apple offers the best programs and software for their devices themselves, you don't need anything else, it's all there for you." Sure you can't just use any program to transfer music onto your iPhone, but will you be getting any viruses on your iPhone? Highly, HIGHLY doubt it. Will you have a seamless experience that's convenient and easy when transferring stuff to your phone using the right program? 98% chance yes. Will the Apple haters jump at the chance to point out when they had a bad experience with Apple? Instantly. Do Apples OSs operate differently than other software? Yes. Does it offend you? Appartently.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-22-11 09:28 PM
    You seriously believe this too, huh? You think that because Apple products operate differently than PC and Android and BlackBerry and stickers come with their products that they are attempting to tap into the subconscious of consumers? Well you're right... in the sense that every single company looking for success is trying to 'get into the heads' of its consumers and build desire for their products. Apple doesn't try much harder than any other company to do so either, and if they do, it's because they put more money in advertising. Where's the issue in this? I'd bet $100 if all BlackBerry products came with 10 stickers, a shirt, a holster and a bluetooth with the BlackBerry logo, you'd love it.

Apple products aren't 100% virus free, but they all certainly have less opportunity to get a virus. Why? Partially because they operate differently. You can view that either as "Apple is so controlling, they only let you use their programs, etc." or as "Apple offers the best programs and software for their devices themselves, you don't need anything else, it's all there for you." Sure you can't just use any program to transfer music onto your iPhone, but will you be getting any viruses on your iPhone? Highly, HIGHLY doubt it. Will you have a seamless experience that's convenient and easy when transferring stuff to your phone using the right program? 98% chance yes. Will the Apple haters jump at the chance to point out when they had a bad experience with Apple? Instantly. Do Apples OSs operate differently than other software? Yes. Does it offend you? Appartently.
    When I buy a USB cable for my BB the manufacturer of that cable didn't have to pay BB extortion money for making a cable. The customer also didn't end up paying 20 dollars for what should be a $5 cable.

I didn't read your post as It looked long winded and I am convinced you cannot be right since you are probably defending Apple.

See how that works?
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-23-11 at 07:04 AM.
    Sharma15 likes this.
    08-23-11 06:49 AM
    We are still rolling Win2K servers here at work........=Job Security.......I will say it a million times over Bill Gates keeps me employed and Steve Jobs has given me a piece of mind.

The DAY Microsoft builds a product that does not suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners..........
    08-23-11 07:41 AM
    Apples Unix kernel operating system isn't maintained very well. Though they might release a patch for a particular revision, it's more likely that they release a new packaged OS and charge there customers. Pure genius. Unix is a great operating system, but like all OS, if its not properly maintained and correctly patched, it will be hacked. Ask a Black Hat how they feel about Mac OS.

Pre-Unix Mac OS was 'different' though not always the most stable. Even the Power-PC chips made them different. RISC based chips being faster because of less instructions on the chip, just needed tighter code. But that's all gone now. Intel X86 machines with the same hardware types doesn't warrant the high price point. There selling point is the UI, which Windows based OS's never seemed to get right, though XP was around for what 9-11 years or some trash like that. I'd watch for Apple to walk away from the PC/Desktop arena.

Mobility is whats hot and Apple has a good pipeline to the consumer based customers. RIM is behind the curve, but that's normal, they have in the past try to offer a stable product for the enterprise customers, now they are (in recent years) working the consumer space. Harder market to make a move in, people are fickle. Enterprise customers generally have been BB users. So as much as this can seem to be brainwashing to others, buying another BB is like updating your Mac OS. Looks the same, runs the same, but is just better then last year.
    anon3396357 likes this.
    08-23-11 08:22 AM
    buying another BB is like updating your Mac OS. Looks the same, runs the same, but is just better then last year.
    I grinned when I read this. There's some truth to that.
    08-23-11 08:30 AM
    This is a little off topic, but Windows 7 is friggin BOSS, bro! Give it at least 2gigs of ram and its as happy as can be. No more blue screen of death or driver installation, or incompatibility.
    As for Mac, I just can't get past that UI with the dock. I get the feeling I'm never really in control of the system. But yeah, they can sweet machines when you know how to do something...AND if you can afford it, lol. I paid 450 bux for my PC laptop and 650 bux for a complete PC desktop. Apple charges waaaay to much for me. Some people just need deece system for a deece price.
    Sharma15 likes this.
    08-23-11 09:15 AM
    When I buy a USB cable for my BB the manufacturer of that cable didn't have to pay BB extortion money for making a cable. The customer also didn't end up paying 20 dollars for what should be a $5 cable.

I didn't read your post as It looked long winded and I am convinced you cannot be right since you are probably defending Apple.

See how that works?
    You really shouldn't quote someone if you didn't read or hear what they say, that's kind of ignorant. It's okay though, with this response I am thoroughly convinced you are pretty close-minded if you assume I'm wrong because I'm defending Apple(although you wouldn't know that if you didn't read it), unless you're trolling.
    08-23-11 09:17 AM
    Apples Unix kernel operating system isn't maintained very well. Though they might release a patch for a particular revision, it's more likely that they release a new packaged OS and charge there customers. Pure genius. Unix is a great operating system, but like all OS, if its not properly maintained and correctly patched, it will be hacked. Ask a Black Hat how they feel about Mac OS.

Pre-Unix Mac OS was 'different' though not always the most stable. Even the Power-PC chips made them different. RISC based chips being faster because of less instructions on the chip, just needed tighter code. But that's all gone now. Intel X86 machines with the same hardware types doesn't warrant the high price point. There selling point is the UI, which Windows based OS's never seemed to get right, though XP was around for what 9-11 years or some trash like that. I'd watch for Apple to walk away from the PC/Desktop arena.

Mobility is whats hot and Apple has a good pipeline to the consumer based customers. RIM is behind the curve, but that's normal, they have in the past try to offer a stable product for the enterprise customers, now they are (in recent years) working the consumer space. Harder market to make a move in, people are fickle. Enterprise customers generally have been BB users. So as much as this can seem to be brainwashing to others, buying another BB is like updating your Mac OS. Looks the same, runs the same, but is just better then last year.
    Nice post. Thanks!

Question for everyone:

BB has some nice phones out now, my Wife's 9810 was an absolute steal at $49.99. What do you say to people who say "I want the iPhone 5 when it comes out."?

1) Do you say "You should check out the new Blackberry's."?

2) Or do you try and tell them a few details about why they should look at the Blackberry's?

3) Or do you just give the whole thing a pass because you know your talking to a person who will buy a product sight unseen regardless of what the new device has to offer or what it looks like?

Tell us why too.
    08-23-11 09:22 AM
    Nice post. Thanks!

Question for everyone:

BB has some nice phones out now, my Wife's 9810 was an absolute steal at $49.99. What do you say to people who say "I want the iPhone 5 when it comes out."?

2) Or do you try and tell them a few details about why they should look at the Blackberry's?

3) Or do you just give the whole thing a pass because you know your talking to a person who will buy a product sight unseen regardless of what the new device has to offer or what it looks like?

Tell us why too.
    I'd ask why and have a fun chat where we compare what the phones can and can't do and and make sure the person has the scope of the purchase right.

They may after all be looking for Android. I've sent people to Apple Stores and recommended Android on many occasions. I also had people buy BlackBerries and be totally happy about them. It is all abou what they want.

If asked thou, I'd say I'll stick to BB and show them why (yep, they ask 90% of the time).

People want what they want and being stubborn about how what WE want is better thanwhat THEY want (and vice-versa) is what leads to the silly flame wars and trolling we see here.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-23-11 at 09:29 AM.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    08-23-11 09:25 AM
    This is a little off topic, but Windows 7 is friggin BOSS, bro! Give it at least 2gigs of ram and its as happy as can be. No more blue screen of death or driver installation, or incompatibility.
    As for Mac, I just can't get past that UI with the dock. I get the feeling I'm never really in control of the system. But yeah, they can sweet machines when you know how to do something...AND if you can afford it, lol. I paid 450 bux for my PC laptop and 650 bux for a complete PC desktop. Apple charges waaaay to much for me. Some people just need deece system for a deece price.
    Windows 7 from what I have seen has made some great strides. And it's about time for the Masses to get what they deserve from an OS. As for the MAC UI different strokes for Different folks.......but here is a HUGE problem that MS does on purpsoe. They Push out new OS's and leave a lot and I mean a lot of companies scrambling to update/rewrite their software to keep up/be compatible. We still are on XP due to the Medical world being slow to Adopt.....or Change or rewrite their software..........or however you want to spin it......
    08-23-11 09:26 AM
    Windows 7 from what I have seen has made some great strides. And it's about time for the Masses to get what they deserve from an OS. As for the MAC UI different strokes for Different folks.......but here is a HUGE problem that MS does on purpsoe. They Push out new OS's and leave a lot and I mean a lot of companies scrambling to update/rewrite their software to keep up/be compatible. We still are on XP due to the Medical world being slow to Adopt.....or Change or rewrite their software..........or however you want to spin it......
    I was almost a fully Linux household before Windows 7, but Windows 7 did some MAJOR improvements, and now every machine in the house runs Windows 7 except a Work Windows XP laptop, and my Windows 2000 server that has been folding since 2000.

They made HUGE strides, and I love the UI.

Doesn't microsoft offer the best legacy support? I mean you can still get programs from 1995 to run on a Windows 7 computer, PreOSX Mac Software wont run on OSX devices,
    Sharma15 likes this.
    08-23-11 09:35 AM
    windows 7 pro fixes that in a second, it will start a perfectly integrated xp virtual machine just for cases like that...
    9 out of 10 times it's not M$ who makes things difficult, it's the management that doesn't want to spent a cent extra on the IT budget...
    undone likes this.
    08-23-11 09:44 AM
    windows 7 pro fixes that in a second, it will start a perfectly integrated xp virtual machine just for cases like that...
    9 out of 10 times it's not M$ who makes things difficult, it's the management that doesn't want to spent a cent extra on the IT budget...
    Totally agree ++1
    08-23-11 09:52 AM
    Ahhh no it doesn't we have tried to make some of our Medical apps run in that Virtual world and they don't without extensive Registry Hacks. Our PACS application is one case in point. Our PACS application is what Radiologists use to read images. So it's not fixed in a second due to the way the Virtual XP on Win 7 pro displays images using 16 bit color and PACS has to be 24 bit or higher to work so therefore the Reg hacks had to be done.......which is not viable in an enterprise with 25k plus machines........
    08-23-11 10:06 AM
    I was almost a fully Linux household before Windows 7, but Windows 7 did some MAJOR improvements, and now every machine in the house runs Windows 7 except a Work Windows XP laptop, and my Windows 2000 server that has been folding since 2000.

They made HUGE strides, and I love the UI.

Doesn't microsoft offer the best legacy support? I mean you can still get programs from 1995 to run on a Windows 7 computer, PreOSX Mac Software wont run on OSX devices,
    i wish we could but our apps in the Med world fail horribly in Windows 7 I know it's a small segment but our imaging apps (PACS) for our radiologists is no go natively in Windows 7 and the XP virtual space on 7 pro will not work without serious reg hacks.....see above....
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 08-23-11 at 10:31 AM.
    08-23-11 10:08 AM
    My sister in law has worked in a medical practice for years she does the billing. They don't have an IT guy so I have taken care of her computers. after years of experience with "medical apps" ( particularly apps for medical billing) I have come to the conclusion that the developers INTEND for it not to be compatible with any OS upgrades because they want to force their customers to repurchase the program when they upgrade their OS.
    PsyCorps likes this.
    08-23-11 11:13 AM
    Are you serious with this? Brainwashing? I'm glad that some people can have a constructive debate, because this thread is ridiculous.
    08-23-11 11:49 AM
    My sister in law has worked in a medical practice for years she does the billing. They don't have an IT guy so I have taken care of her computers. after years of experience with "medical apps" ( particularly apps for medical billing) I have come to the conclusion that the developers INTEND for it not to be compatible with any OS upgrades because they want to force their customers to repurchase the program when they upgrade their OS.
    I think you're right, if I buy a 25+K machine I expect some support or updates, but like you said, the developers don't want it to be compatible and the management doesn't want to spent a penny

but were waaaaaay off topic here, do I think RIM is brainwashing anyone? no, do I think Apple is brainwashing anyone? no!
    do I think Apple has a great marketing strategy and people brainwash each other? YES!
    So my message to the people is and must be, buy something that doesn't spy on you, is safe and has a reasonable price, buy a blackberry
    Last edited by PsyCorps; 08-23-11 at 12:12 PM.
    08-23-11 12:09 PM
    Nice post. Thanks!

Question for everyone:

3) Or do you just give the whole thing a pass because you know you're talking to a person who will buy a product sight unseen regardless of what the new device has to offer or what it looks like?

Tell us why too.
    I ask myself, "am I really generalizing an entire group of people based on only what I see? Man I need to get out more and realize this world is much more than just what I see of it." In all seriousness, if the only three things you think are one generalization and two advertisements for your preference(brainwash? sheep?), then you should probably not bother to think about such things.

To each his own.
    08-23-11 12:58 PM
    I think you're right, if I buy a 25+K machine I expect some support or updates, but like you said, the developers don't want it to be compatible and the management doesn't want to spent a penny

but were waaaaaay off topic here, do I think RIM is brainwashing anyone? no, do I think Apple is brainwashing anyone? no!
    do I think Apple has a great marketing strategy and people brainwash each other? YES!
    So my message to the people is and must be, buy something that doesn't spy on you, is safe and has a reasonable price, buy a blackberry
    I was saying we have 25k plus machines in the enterprise....... And my Dept the Radiology IS team cannot logically or effectively hack 25k plus registries......but you know what I mean.....
    08-23-11 01:00 PM
    Someone move this thread to TiPB...
    08-23-11 01:28 PM
    $549 to me doesn't seem over priced at all.
    The thing I don't get is that the Torch is 450 and it's a better phone. If you look at it that way it's definitely overpriced.
    08-23-11 04:19 PM
    How it is a better phone? Same specs, teensy bit larger screen (2.8" vs 3.2"), same resolution. AF camera instead of NFC. That's it. Oh, and the 99xx is thinner.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 06:30 PM
    i wish we could but our apps in the Med world fail horribly in Windows 7 I know it's a small segment but our imaging apps (PACS) for our radiologists is no go natively in Windows 7 and the XP virtual space on 7 pro will not work without serious reg hacks.....see above....
    I remember trying to get PACS to import into a Webapplication, to integrate with Nightingale(sp) EMR, PACS for it's function is great, but the developers sure made a hard system to work with!

08-23-11 06:32 PM
    We have ours running extremely well with our emr doctor looks up a a patient if there is a rad report they click the image button and bam PACS loads the image.

Cerner and FUJI Synapse

08-23-11 07:22 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD