So I've been lurking around this forum for years.

I'm a BES admin for a SMALL office. We have 12 BB handsets and we have been using them for years. 2008 I think.

We started with the 8800, moved to the 9000, got some 9700s, got 9800s and I even have a Storm2.

Now we have 1 (one) playbook! Which is working great! (we'll get more soon)

So this is a short rant, which I'm sure won't win many friends. But our BB stuff has been working great. I think we have rebooted the BES server twice and once was to upgrade to new hardware. That is at least five 9s I think.

As for the handsets, we have had one faulty antenna and a speaker that got real quiet, those I suspect were drops onto concrete. We had a few other drops which were obviously damage from an impact. We has someone drop their 9000 screen first onto a concrete step corner. It all still worked, but you couldn't read anything as the screen was toast.

The only *problems* we have had have been with the carrier. They have turned out BES service off once, some how turned off cell towers and a few other incidents that make you laugh.

Our BB handsets travel around the world, they get beat up, stuck in pockets with cigarettes and keys, get clogged with fluff, grime, hair and mud. They keep on getting their emails. Our now retired 9000s are looking pretty used and abused these days, but they still work great.

So I've been wondering, what do people do to break their BBs?

I read about all sorts of problems, which is useful stuff to know about. Also I know that my sample size is small. But our BB stuff has been awesome, so much so that other companies we deal with have started using BES.

Thus I declare RIM is awesome.

Also, no really, what DO people do to break their stuff? Have I just been real lucky or what?

AND I don't work for RIM.
    06-28-11 07:27 AM
    I'd say you've problem seen most of the ways BBs break. 3 of the people I work with have them and I am amazed by the build quality. For the record I do not have a Blackberry and I have been impressed enough that I am looking to get one for BBM and other uses when the 9930 comes out.
    Last edited by rayz336; 06-28-11 at 08:24 AM.
    06-28-11 08:22 AM
    The 9000's were awesome. 9800? Maybe not so much...
    06-28-11 08:25 AM
    I have a collection of old Blackberries going way back, apart from those that I have handed down to other users. And I go back to the first color Blackberry. The fact is for me that I've only had 1 return (for a failing 3.5 jack) of a Blackberry device. All the other Blackberries were working fine when I upgraded which is truly remarkable if you knew the abuse they had been subjected to. My wife and my kids and my colleagues haven't had near this record with non-Blackberry devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-28-11 08:57 AM
    What do people do to break them? It's pretty amazing, actually. Hard surface impacts are pretty high up there. I have, in my history of working with BlackBerry, discovered a few of the folks with 'mysterious' issues actually turned out to to have had the device forcefully thrown to incur major damage (beyond a screen break or cosmetic).

I've had mine slip, bounce off a metal catwalk, and go spinning across a concrete floor and not even reboot.

Probably the worst I've seen was the person that inadvertently ran their older BlackBerry through a snowblower. It was twisted and mangled, but in the picture, it was clear that the device still worked.

Try that with an iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Pirks likes this.
    06-28-11 09:07 AM
    What do people do to break them? It's pretty amazing, actually. Hard surface impacts are pretty high up there. I have, in my history of working with BlackBerry, discovered a few of the folks with 'mysterious' issues actually turned out to to have had the device forcefully thrown to incur major damage (beyond a screen break or cosmetic).

I've had mine slip, bounce off a metal catwalk, and go spinning across a concrete floor and not even reboot.

Probably the worst I've seen was the person that inadvertently ran their older BlackBerry through a snowblower. It was twisted and mangled, but in the picture, it was clear that the device still worked.

Try that with an iPhone.

Now that's pretty darn impressive. I think that one would win the "destroy a BB of the week award".
    Pirks likes this.
    06-28-11 09:29 AM
    Hey, I was impressed. I'm gonna pull my old Curve that the boys drowned and see if I can get it to boot up later. It's been dry for a long time. It got dunked and soaked in a sink full of soapy dishwater.

06-28-11 10:05 AM
    So I've been lurking around this forum for years.

I'm a BES admin for a SMALL office. We have 12 BB handsets and we have been using them for years. 2008 I think.

We started with the 8800, moved to the 9000, got some 9700s, got 9800s and I even have a Storm2.

Now we have 1 (one) playbook! Which is working great! (we'll get more soon)

So this is a short rant, which I'm sure won't win many friends. But our BB stuff has been working great. I think we have rebooted the BES server twice and once was to upgrade to new hardware. That is at least five 9s I think.

As for the handsets, we have had one faulty antenna and a speaker that got real quiet, those I suspect were drops onto concrete. We had a few other drops which were obviously damage from an impact. We has someone drop their 9000 screen first onto a concrete step corner. It all still worked, but you couldn't read anything as the screen was toast.

The only *problems* we have had have been with the carrier. They have turned out BES service off once, some how turned off cell towers and a few other incidents that make you laugh.

Our BB handsets travel around the world, they get beat up, stuck in pockets with cigarettes and keys, get clogged with fluff, grime, hair and mud. They keep on getting their emails. Our now retired 9000s are looking pretty used and abused these days, but they still work great.

So I've been wondering, what do people do to break their BBs?

I read about all sorts of problems, which is useful stuff to know about. Also I know that my sample size is small. But our BB stuff has been awesome, so much so that other companies we deal with have started using BES.

Thus I declare RIM is awesome.

Also, no really, what DO people do to break their stuff? Have I just been real lucky or what?

AND I don't work for RIM.
    It's a sad day when a person posting on a Blackberry fan site is afraid that he will get the stick if when he is saying something nice about the Blackberry.
    Goes to show how many Trolls are on the site, and also shows the democratic nature of the Forum.
    06-28-11 10:16 AM
    my olb bb curve once went missing, so i called it from my wifes prone, i found it glowing from underneath my trucks tire, i backed the truck off the bb and it still worked till my next upgrade.
    06-28-11 10:27 AM
    lol!

Those are some crazy tales of BBs continuing to work!

My office had the 9000 in operation for the longest time. The 9800 are newish, but so far the feedback has been great.

However I do agree, the 9000 was a solid device.
    06-28-11 07:05 PM
    lol!

Those are some crazy tales of BBs continuing to work!

My office had the 9000 in operation for the longest time. The 9800 are newish, but so far the feedback has been great.

However I do agree, the 9000 was a solid device. Having those extra big batteries was awesome too.
    06-28-11 07:11 PM
    I've had 2 users leave them on top of their cars. One heard it slide, saw it bounce in the road and get hit by the car behind her. She sent it to me and although the case was mangled, it was still receiving email. I just stuck the guts in a nicer case and inter-officed it back to her. The other one found hers in her mailbox, in pieces.

My favorite was from our LA office. Somewhere between the 16th and 12th floor, the elevator stopped. The attorney riding it was reading his email on his BB. When he felt it stopping, he started to move forward then realized that it wasn't at the bottom and he stopped moving forward, but his BB kept going... out of his hand and took the perfect dive down the crack between the elevator and the shaft. The building maintenance was able to find it later on that night at the bottom of the shaft and it was still working and in fact still is.
    06-28-11 07:23 PM
    The older BBs were rock solid. I fondly remember my 8700. My 8300 wasn't quite so robust and I had to replace a 9700 under warranty. The 9700/9780 are great phones but I don't feel they are as well built.
    06-28-11 09:20 PM
    My pearl is rock solid, survived being dropped down the stairs the 6 months before last time I used it on the subway, it had some scratches, everywhere else was fine, even the protected screen. I wish my 9700 was the same...

06-29-11 06:58 AM
    Don't you hate it when you accidentally drop your bb? I dropped mine yesterday and instantly got a gut-wrenching feeling because it was onto concrete. Was working just fine though!!
    09-08-11 10:33 AM
    Just wanted to give a tip of the hat to the OP. I don't know exactly why, but hearing positive stories and good experiences from BES admins specifically, for some reason, improves my mood and makes me feel kind of good for RIM. Perhaps its all the doom and gloom still being thrown around.

This is also the first story I've come across with someone talking about the Playbook in use with a BES, assuming I read that correctly.)

Very awesome. I'm glad to see neither your hardware or software have let you down.

09-08-11 12:59 PM
    I cannot tell you how many times my wife has dropped her Torch onto the hospital floor, nor how many times she has caused me to drop my past Pearl, Curve, Bold9000 and now my Torch. And they all just kept on working. As a very small BESX admin (5 users) I have no troubles other than after M$ forced updates and rebooted servers. I actually took a call today from a user who went back to his BlackBerry because his Sprint Evo decided to expire.

The fact these devices hold up so well and the BES back end is so secure and robust keeps me and my users happy and in contact.

09-08-11 09:17 PM
    I just need a BB friend if you cares to be my friend please ping me 271FB6D8
    09-09-11 01:57 AM
    I have a few devices and actually i made Blackberry a birthday present for my relatives a few times. Blackberry is more then just a smartphone.. it something with a soul
    09-09-11 04:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD