I think this "launch" terminology is throwing some ppl off. Launch = announcement, not availability. /// all this hype and the phone isn't even officially announced yet.
    i think it's the other way around,,, launch=availability / announcement=hype,,, & yeah, all this hype & the phone hasn't been announced LAUNCHED yet,,, pretty cool ain't it???
    01-21-13 03:35 PM
    So by that logic, it would be perfectly fine to start having teaser commercials for the SGS4, iPhone 5s, etc?
    why not??? then we could say they copied Rim...
    01-21-13 03:40 PM
    i think it's the other way around,,, launch=availability / announcement=hype,,, & yeah, all this hype & the phone hasn't been announced LAUNCHED yet,,, pretty cool ain't it???
    And that's where you're wrong. Announcements are the official keynotes demonstrating specs, features, carrier pricing and availability, etc. Right now what we have areleaks and demos, but the official announcement is what will be on January 30th. Pretty cool, ain't it?
    01-21-13 03:41 PM
    You mean their videos they put together to promote BlackBerry Jam? Those are the only advertisements I've seen done by RIM so far. And those were web only. I haven't seen anything on mainstream media, and most likely won't until January 30th.
    there was that guy on a Canadian morning show a while back that made a run thru here,,, i'm thinkin' that could be called mainstream...
    01-21-13 03:42 PM
    And that's where you're wrong. Announcements are the official keynotes demonstrating specs, features, carrier pricing and availability, etc. Right now what we have areleaks and demos, but the official announcement is what will be on January 30th. Pretty cool, ain't it?
    LOL,,, i think now we're getting into semantics,,, but that's pretty funny...
    01-21-13 03:44 PM
    LOL,,, i think now we're getting into semantics,,, but that's pretty funny...
    Here, maybe this will help you understand. Here's the keynote announcement for the Playbook:

That's what's going to happen on January 30th with BB10.
    01-21-13 03:50 PM
    But your comparing smartphones to movies...
    A consumer product is still a consumer product regardless of industry.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-21-13 03:54 PM
    i suggested in another thread here that they should get out there NOW via the playoffs on tv here in the U.S. thus getting millions of eyes on,,, the general public here is clueless as affirmed by the numerous posts by cb'ers about interactions w/ friends & carrier reps,,, the more i thought about the idea of getting playoff ad time, (i posted a comment earlier today), the more of a great idea it was/is, if i do say so myself,,, that kind of airtime doesn't come cheap, but they've already stated they're going to spend $$$ on marketing,,, sooo, just moments ago what do i see??? a SAMSUNG SIII/NOTE 2 commercial shooting @ the business/security demographic!!! ,,, guess it was/is a great idea,,, & i got the feeling that Rim may still be asleep @ the wheel,,, ,,, food for thought,,, if you guys in Toronto could put a bug in their ear, it would probably do some good,,, i feel this was a big misstep to lose the opportunity to get the word out...
    Here are about 7 reasons why I don't like this topic.

There are times like this that I wish people need some sort of credentials before making a topic, why, because the poorly thought out ones always get the attention instead of the well thought out topics case in point this. This thread is not overly intelligent, this guy simply states, RIM didn't advertise during the NFL playoffs, which are not only the shortest playoffs of the 4 pro sports (what is it...7-9 games total?) but they are at the worst time economically (people are still recovering from Xmas) but what the TC fails to realize is a few things; traditional big ads don't always mean people use or buy your product.

When is the last time you bought a Go Daddy website, or a Bud light or Chevy because you saw it happen in a Superbowl ad?

2. There is no product out yet, I am assuming this guy lives in the states. In Canada, RIM is BACK, they are all over the news, from ads to the stock market, not to mention, if you live near Waterloo you can feel the excitement.

3. No carriers have it yet. Yes the product isn't being marketed, because no carrier has it in their store...it wouldn't make sense to market a phone you can't even touch!

4. Hold your horses.....This phone was delayed damn near over a year. I believe BB10 was initially BBX which was initially BB7, while BB7 was BB 6.5 or something...if you are here waiting for a new Blackberry...you've obviously waited a long time, what is another week or month going to do?

5. Patience is key and I applaud RIM. Far to often, companies have their marketing ready, before the product is...if you don't believe me just look at the playbook, and it ends up making you look like a loser. RIM has played their cards right and put everything into this phone and their business. If they fail, you can't say they didn't try their hardest!

6. Media, they don't want to tell you a company is floating along as planned, they only want to feed you doom and gloom or huge success stories. But the truth is, 9/10 businesses fail each and every day, and people vote on them with their wallets. So, it isn't surprising that they want to sustain themselves with BB7 until BB10 is something people can buy and the media can embrace.
    01-21-13 04:16 PM
    Timing, dude. They can't have a commercial about a product that hasn't been released. With the release on January 30th that gives a good chance for some super bowl spots.
    Yeah that's what I am expecting. Perhaps IF.. if Verizon is early out of the gate with the Z10 say early to mid February (optimistically) -- maybe we'll so some kind of Verizon ads. The carrier ads pushing the devices are more important to me than purely RIM funded ads.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-21-13 04:34 PM
    why not??? then we could say they copied Rim...
    Because they think it's a terrible idea too maybe?
    01-21-13 04:37 PM
    Here are about 7 reasons why I don't like this topic.

There are times like this that I wish people need some sort of credentials before making a topic, why, because the poorly thought out ones always get the attention instead of the well thought out topics case in point this. This thread is not overly intelligent, this guy simply states, RIM didn't advertise during the NFL playoffs, which are not only the shortest playoffs of the 4 pro sports (what is it...7-9 games total?) but they are at the worst time economically (people are still recovering from Xmas) but what the TC fails to realize is a few things; traditional big ads don't always mean people use or buy your product.

When is the last time you bought a Go Daddy website, or a Bud light or Chevy because you saw it happen in a Superbowl ad?

2. There is no product out yet, I am assuming this guy lives in the states. In Canada, RIM is BACK, they are all over the news, from ads to the stock market, not to mention, if you live near Waterloo you can feel the excitement.

3. No carriers have it yet. Yes the product isn't being marketed, because no carrier has it in their store...it wouldn't make sense to market a phone you can't even touch!

4. Hold your horses.....This phone was delayed damn near over a year. I believe BB10 was initially BBX which was initially BB7, while BB7 was BB 6.5 or something...if you are here waiting for a new Blackberry...you've obviously waited a long time, what is another week or month going to do?

5. Patience is key and I applaud RIM. Far to often, companies have their marketing ready, before the product is...if you don't believe me just look at the playbook, and it ends up making you look like a loser. RIM has played their cards right and put everything into this phone and their business. If they fail, you can't say they didn't try their hardest!

6. Media, they don't want to tell you a company is floating along as planned, they only want to feed you doom and gloom or huge success stories. But the truth is, 9/10 businesses fail each and every day, and people vote on them with their wallets. So, it isn't surprising that they want to sustain themselves with BB7 until BB10 is something people can buy and the media can embrace.
    "this guy simply states, RIM didn't advertise during the NFL playoffs, which are not only the shortest playoffs of the 4 pro sports"--- exactly,,, that's why millions of people watch them...

"the poorly thought out ones always get the attention" --- like this reply???

(what is it...7-9 games total?)" --- umm,,, there are 10...

"but they are at the worst time economically"--- and yet ppl are stating here regularly that they're willing to drop $500-$600 on one or TWO of them...

"traditional big ads don't always mean people use or buy your product."--- tell that to Apple & Android...

"When is the last time you bought a Go Daddy website, or a Bud light or Chevy because you saw it happen in a Superbowl ad?"--- are we calling this #1??? & where is #7??? will it be forthcoming??? cuz i'm really looking forward to it,,, & we're talking about the playoffs,,, the Superbowl happens after the launch...

#2--- "I am assuming this guy lives in the states. In Canada, RIM is BACK, they are all over the news,"--- your assumption is correct & there is very little Rim advertising here which is exactly why a slot during the playoffs would've been a good move,imo...

#3--- that can be debated & is currently being done in this thread, thanks for playing...

#4--- ok...

#5--- agreed...

#6--- umm,ok,,, but there are other threads on that...

#7,,, #7??? calling #7,,, oh 7, oh 7,,, where for art thou???
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 01-21-13 at 09:37 PM.
    01-21-13 05:00 PM
    Why dont we make our own ad campaigns then? With a little imagination and zero budget, we got tools at our disposal. Twitter, Youtube, Facebook. Where are all these blackberry people who love getting stuff done, who are skilled in enterprise? Make your own teaser commercials, teaser photos (without giving too much away of course, but if many people started doing this, you'd soon start having some promo material circulating. So calling all graphic designers, film makers rocking nice DSLRs with video function, artists, **** even flash mobs etc, go do your thing for BB10 and give Joe public a little nudge.

Get your thinking caps on and set this thing in motion already!
    01-21-13 07:28 PM
    I don't know. Does anyone think 50K worth of advertising will do the trick?
    ISWYDT.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-21-13 07:36 PM
    i suggested in another thread here that they should get out there NOW via the playoffs on tv here in the U.S. thus getting millions of eyes on,,, the general public here is clueless as affirmed by the numerous posts by cb'ers about interactions w/ friends & carrier reps,,, the more i thought about the idea of getting playoff ad time, (i posted a comment earlier today), the more of a great idea it was/is, if i do say so myself,,, that kind of airtime doesn't come cheap, but they've already stated they're going to spend $$$ on marketing,,, sooo, just moments ago what do i see??? a SAMSUNG SIII/NOTE 2 commercial shooting @ the business/security demographic!!! ,,, guess it was/is a great idea,,, & i got the feeling that Rim may still be asleep @ the wheel,,, ,,, food for thought,,, if you guys in Toronto could put a bug in their ear, it would probably do some good,,, i feel this was a big misstep to lose the opportunity to get the word out...
    yep! As they say in politics, you can define yourself, or you can let your opponent define you. Well, weeks before the release, due to almost ZERO marketing, Samsung took a little time to remind the world that only lame old people still use BlackBerrys...genius marketing department....genius
    Clinto likes this.
    01-21-13 07:52 PM
    yep! As they say in politics, you can define yourself, or you can let your opponent define you. Well, weeks before the release, due to almost ZERO marketing, Samsung took a little time to remind the world that only lame old people still use BlackBerrys...genius marketing department....genius
    And by genius marketing department I mean BlackBerry's....and by genius I mean, not really at all
    01-21-13 07:53 PM
    Here, maybe this will help you understand. Here's the keynote announcement for the Playbook:

That's what's going to happen on January 30th with BB10.
    God I hope not....you remember the HUGE success of the PlayBook...right? Hello? Is this thing on?
    01-21-13 07:58 PM
    God I hope not....you remember the HUGE success of the PlayBook...right? Hello? Is this thing on?
    I meant the type of announcement. That's what they look like. Keynotes. The PB was just an example of a RIM announcement.
    01-21-13 08:08 PM
    There's no such thing as a sea warrior. Go infantry or go home

Warning Off Topic: Without Air or Sea Warriors how'd you get there ground pounder?

Al Mas Pintado SSN-672...and who do you think was there first making it safe for you to get there?

Back On Topic:

Timing with a limited budget is everything.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-22-13 01:17 AM
    Yeah that's what I am expecting. Perhaps IF.. if Verizon is early out of the gate with the Z10 say early to mid February (optimistically) -- maybe we'll so some kind of Verizon ads. The carrier ads pushing the devices are more important to me than purely RIM funded ads.
    BlackBerry adds will be important. I think that the in store salesperson is MORE important. I want the person who wanders into the carrier store wanting a new phone to be directed to the newest bestest phone....BB10. All the media in the world will not overcome a salesperson who is set on switching the client to His/Her favorite phone (Iphone, Android, WP8)
    01-22-13 01:41 AM
    BlackBerry adds will be important. I think that the in store salesperson is MORE important. I want the person who wanders into the carrier store wanting a new phone to be directed to the newest bestest phone....BB10. All the media in the world will not overcome a salesperson who is set on switching the client to His/Her favorite phone (Iphone, Android, WP8)
    Of course -- yes -- if the sales reps push it it will win and if they hamper it, well...
    01-22-13 01:59 AM
    Not asleep...just dreaming.

#BB10Believe
    01-22-13 05:49 AM
    "we have built it - they will come..."

#BB10Believe
    01-22-13 05:51 AM
    Warning Off Topic: Without Air or Sea support how'd you get there ground pounder?
    Air or Sea aren't "warriors" because they don't actually fight their opponents like soldiers do. Hence I modified your post above by replacing the word warrior with support.
    01-23-13 07:35 AM
    Sorry, original poster, RIM is not Asleep @ the Wheel. Here's Asleep @ the Wheel...with Suzy Bogguss, Lyle Lovett, and a taste of Bob Wills:

01-23-13 03:32 PM
    cant advertise without spoiling the launch.

they want maximum impact for the launch then the adverts will roll.

still dont think the money for a superbowl ad will be worth it though
    01-23-13 03:39 PM
111 ... 2345