Appreciate the passion and all, but you're really just doing another armchair quarterback thing ...
    01-21-13 10:20 AM
    First off RIM is announcing prior to Super Bowel where the money would be much better spent than on the play-offs.

And secondly, USMC for when it absolutely positively has to destroyed overnight.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    ^------<---- Semper Fi!
    01-21-13 10:25 AM
    I don't know. Does anyone think 50K worth of advertising will do the trick?
    This may just be the 49,999th best hi-jack of a thread I've ever seen. At least the OP has stuck around to try and steer things back on topic . . .
    01-21-13 10:35 AM
    A few months back, I was of the opinion that some sort of teaser ad campaign would be a good idea. Looking back, I think that opinion was driven by nothing more than my own desire to see something happening.

As any stripper knows, the tease is only effective if you have something you know people want to see. BlackBerry has lost that edge with average consumers, and teaser ads would merely be pathetic. [Fill in your own stripper analogy]

I think RIM is doing it right. They're keeping their clothes on until they're ready to show everything.
    Excellent analogy. Pretty much sums up why teasers wouldn't work as well for RIM as for certain other companies.

That said, they have been doing a bit of this, like with the NY Times ad.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-21-13 11:07 AM
    To round it out Air Force gets the job done.
    As Churchill said... "Boys of the Army, Men of the Navy and Gentlemen of the Air Force..." but frankly we owe a lot to all of those brave men and women that serve. I take my hat off to all of them.
    MADBRADNYC, SEAWARRIOR and jakie55 like this.
    01-21-13 12:31 PM
    so what would happen if they were advertising now? you would have all these lay shoppers going into the retailers asking
    " hey, whats this i hear about them thar blackbrry thingy?"
    "we dont have it yet or know much about it because they havent really launched it yet sir, but have you seen phone X Y and Z?"
    salesmen wanna get paid for the work they do here and now, not give the opportunity to sell to someone else if they come back some other time.
    granted most carriers are taking preorders now, i think BB needs a bit of hands on credibility to regain that kind of trust in a lot of people, myself included(admittedly, i am dying for one and want it to succeed, just hesitant)
    01-21-13 01:05 PM
    i agree with sea warrior, 100 percent

LMAO
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-21-13 01:13 PM
    You don't see any companies doing real ads before their products are announced do you?
    01-21-13 01:53 PM
    Timing, dude. They can't have a commercial about a product that hasn't been released. With the release on January 30th that gives a good chance for some super bowl spots.
    But they can create a series of advertisements to garner interest much the way movie studios advertise one-year-away movie releases. Then again we are talking about RIM, the least innovative technology company since Apple of the early 1990s. I am apprehensive about their ability to capture end-users' imagination even after the official launch event. The carriers won't be pushing them too hard despite the rhetoric to the contrary from some forum members.
    SEAWARRIOR and rottonj like this.
    01-21-13 01:59 PM
    You don't see any companies doing real ads before their products are announced do you?
    The major movie studios do it all the time including for movies not scheduled for public release until a year later.
    SEAWARRIOR and rottonj like this.
    01-21-13 02:02 PM
    Less checkerboarding and feels snapier.
    Didn't you get the email? Thorsten will resign on April 1st and the RIM Board of Directors will name me CEO for life followed immediately by me taking the company private. Afterwards, I will be hiring someone to come up with a plan for the future; applicants must be over 21, unemployed for at least 6 months, and can send their resume and cover letter to [email protected].
    SEAWARRIOR and jakie55 like this.
    01-21-13 02:11 PM
    The major movie studios do it all the time including for movies not scheduled for public release until a year later.
    But your comparing smartphones to movies...
    01-21-13 02:17 PM
    what's not announced yet??? BB10??? hasn't been FORMALLY LAUNCHED yet??? true,,, but it's been announced for quit some time...
    no not officially. I think this "launch" terminology is throwing some ppl off. Launch = announcement, not availability.

All BlackBerry phones

I don't see a Z10 listed there do you? But you will find the Sony Xperia Z, which is not available for purchase either, because it HAS been officially announced. See the diff?

Sony Xperia Z - Full phone specifications

that's the beauty of this situation that people don't realize... all this hype and the phone isn't even officially announced yet.
    pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-21-13 02:26 PM
    But they can create a series of advertisements to garner interest much the way movie studios advertise one-year-away movie releases. Then again we are talking about RIM, the least innovative technology company since Apple of the early 1990s. I am apprehensive about their ability to capture end-users' imagination even after the official launch event. The carriers won't be pushing them too hard despite the rhetoric to the contrary from some forum members.
    This goes completely contrary to what most people have been calling for RIM to do: Don't announce anything until it's ready! (Some people aren't even happy with announcing BB10 and having to wait a day!) Old RIM already got in trouble for announcing things and not delivering on time. New RIM is about announcing and delivering.
    pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-21-13 02:35 PM
    I don't think we'll see any "official" advertising until launch. But I think it's fairly evident that RIM has been doing a more covert advertising strategy prior to that. All the leaks are producing buzz which has propagated through blogs up through the major news sources. Being as open as they have been during development to get developers producing apps has also been in their favor. I expect some surprises on Jan. 30th, but we already know most of what BB10 is all about. If they had officially launched teaser advertisements, it'd be treated in the same way that the PlayBook announcement was that faded the buzz during the long wait. With BB10, the buzz has been steady and also we'll be getting a fully developed platform. I think most of us anticipate availability shortly after Jan. 30th. The marketing plan has been well executed, in my opinion.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-21-13 02:50 PM
    01-21-13 02:55 PM
    Okay, well it wouldn't be a good idea to announce anything new in the ads, because anything they keep secret is something "new" to announce January 30. That means that they have the following information to put in a commercial:
    - there will be a model with a touchscreen
    - Flow
    - The Hub
    - Time shift camera
    - keyboard
    - BlackBerry World with movies and music
    So they could put together an ad with this information, but they wouldn't be able to show it running on a device because all that has been announced is that there will be a touchscreen model and a keyboard model (and the screen dimensions), so really the only commercial that they could do is showing BlackBerry World flowing into the Hub. Once they've done that what can they say about availability? If they don't say anything then people will assume it's already out, and be annoyed when it isn't, but the only information there is is that it's still over a week until we even find out when the device is released, and then it's probably another week or two (at least) until the device is actually released, so really all that they could say is "coming soon", which would not do well combined with only really the UI to show off and an overall negative sentiment against them to begin with.
    01-21-13 02:56 PM
    This goes completely contrary to what most people have been calling for RIM to do: Don't announce anything until it's ready! (Some people aren't even happy with announcing BB10 and having to wait a day!) Old RIM already got in trouble for announcing things and not delivering on time. New RIM is about announcing and delivering.
    Bingo. As far as consumers are concerned, RIM has a serious credibility issue. Advertising to a mass market is just going to bring about a lot of eye-rolling and "yeah, we've heard THAT before..."

Seriously, the product has to be out there. Enterprise will get it out there. Evangelists will get it out there. A decent app portfolio will help sell it. And once the buzz gets out that it might just be a decent product, the comeback story will help sell it.

The marketing for this phone has to come from the grassroots, not from the top down.
    01-21-13 02:58 PM
    So by that logic, it would be perfectly fine to start having teaser commercials for the SGS4, iPhone 5s, etc?
    01-21-13 03:07 PM
    Yep, I am really struggling to think of anyone at all who would go full on advertising something you can't actually buy. Why would you? It's the fundamental point that all these threads overlook - you cannot buy the product yet. So there's nothing to advertise.
    the thing is they're already doing it,,, but i feel they missed an opportunity yesterday...
    01-21-13 03:19 PM
    Appreciate the passion and all, but you're really just doing another armchair quarterback thing ...
    yes...
    01-21-13 03:21 PM
    They could do all of that, you're right. But any such "teaser" ads they did now would not be very effective compared to the full on advertising they could do after the launch. A teaser may pique a bit of curiosity but an ad that shows off the software and hardware and its capabilities will be much more effective, especially coming from a company like Blackberry which many people have a negative bias toward. An ad about some new Blackberry coming soon is likely to be met with a "who cares, it's blackberry" response from the gen public. On the other hand, an ad demonstrating features will be more likely to get past people's initial reluctance because they have something concrete to judge, as opposed to a perception.

Keeping this in mind, the marketing team at RIM has likely decided that since such ads would have little impact, they will focus their advertising dollars on all out ads after the launch. Instead of spending money to advertise during sporting events before the launch they'll use this money to do so during sporting events after the launch (Superbowl comes to mind, but who really knows). What their pre-launch strategy seems to be is to get the product in as many tech blogger's hands as possible to get some positive buzz going among the technology fans and begin to ease some of the negative bias of the media. And also to send info to the blackberry diehards to keep them excited. This plan seems to be working quite well.

So anyway I guess my point is that, RIM has a plan. As good an idea as you think it would be to have had advertisements during these NFL playoffs and other such events, the management at RIM has decided it's not worth it. I mean, this is their job so they probably know what they're doing.
    now THAT is a well thought out post...
    01-21-13 03:25 PM
    yes,,, i do,,, all the time,,, Rim is doing it as we speak,,, err, type...
    01-21-13 03:27 PM
    But your comparing smartphones to movies...
    not really,,, the the point being made is the idea/concept of "coming soon" approach to marketing...
    01-21-13 03:30 PM
    yes,,, i do,,, all the time,,, Rim is doing it as we speak,,, err, type...
    You mean their videos they put together to promote BlackBerry Jam? Those are the only advertisements I've seen done by RIM so far. And those were web only. I haven't seen anything on mainstream media, and most likely won't until January 30th.
    01-21-13 03:32 PM
111 12345