View Poll Results: How do you feel about Rim?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rim is ok in my book I am staying put!

49 72.06%
  • Rim is failing I am leaving or already left

19 27.94%
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but 45 minutes will not be nearly enough time to become proficient with a new device's text input method (just as it won't be enough time to learn every nuance of a new OS). It took me forever to learn my Tour's keyboard well enough that I'm typing this to y'all without even looking at the screen. I'm sure that will be possible with the Droid 2, since it's got a physical keyboard. I don't think it would be possible to touch type with the standard touch screen only devices though.

Anyway, I'm ready to switch from BB to Droid 2 or Droid X. That doesn't mean I think BB/RIM devices are bad, it just means my needs/wants have shifted away from what RIM is offering currently.

I want the impressive multimedia capabilities offered by the android OS and the high performance hardware that the android devices offer.

The Droid 2 I was playing with yesterday was able to load and render conventional websites in roughly the same time it (occasionally) takes my Tour to render wap optimized pages.

I'll miss BBM when I make the switch.

If RIM comes out with a device that can compete with the high-end android devices in terms of OS and processor speed/hardware, I'd sure consider going back...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    For me it makes more sense to use a bold that is very easy for info input. after the time playing with the droids I realized it will always be harder even if I do get use to it. BOLD ftw for me. Now tell me why you are so concerned about what phone I like? If you think droid is for you go for it big guy. I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it I could care less. I do know if you switch and tell us how much you love you droid I won't be saying to you "oh how can you go away from BB I can't believe it" could care less about you or your phone. Someone will have to explain to me sometime why people that like android are so threatened by people that still like BB. GET A LIFE LOSER!! P.S. When I went from a dumbphone to BB even though it took me a little bit to get use to the phone. I knew within 15 minutes of playing with it I would like the kb. So don't tell me what I need and don't need to do when deciding on a phone.
    09-10-10 01:39 PM
    Yea, good luck.
    What a stupid post? Don't like BB don't worry about it! I just hope BB steps it up to shut the TROLLS up!
    09-10-10 01:44 PM
    What a stupid post? Don't like BB don't worry about it! I just hope BB steps it up to shut the TROLLS up!
    If there is nothing wrong with RIM, I fail to understand the necessity of "hoping" that they step it up.
    09-10-10 02:07 PM
    For me it makes more sense to use a bold that is very easy for info input. after the time playing with the droids I realized it will always be harder even if I do get use to it. BOLD ftw for me. Now tell me why you are so concerned about what phone I like? If you think droid is for you go for it big guy. I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it I could care less. I do know if you switch and tell us how much you love you droid I won't be saying to you "oh how can you go away from BB I can't believe it" could care less about you or your phone. Someone will have to explain to me sometime why people that like android are so threatened by people that still like BB. GET A LIFE LOSER!! P.S. When I went from a dumbphone to BB even though it took me a little bit to get use to the phone. I knew within 15 minutes of playing with it I would like the kb. So don't tell me what I need and don't need to do when deciding on a phone.
    No need to call someone a loser for saying it takes longer than 45 minutes to get use to a different input system. He is absolutely right. I sucked at typing on virtual keyboards at first, and after a few days I got better and better. If you honestly think you can tell how you will be able to type on a different input system within 45 minutes, you are either an extremely fast learner, or you have no patience. The D1 keyboard blows, but I was able to get use to it and type as fast or faster than I could on my 9000. It took me more than a day to get use to the 9700 keyboard coming from a 9000 since the 9000 was a little bigger. Your brain has to adjust, and I doubt the average human adjusts in 45 minutes. But enjoy your Bold, it is the best new BB out.
    09-10-10 02:16 PM
    I have no need for all the flashy multimedia hype that the androids have. I use my for phone for communication not entertainment.
    09-10-10 02:51 PM
    It is simply a game of leapfrog. Rim will come back with a device and OS that will jump ahead, but they do need to keep the features that so many of us like. So it will take some time. OS 6 is enough for now. Like Jbull, some of us do not like touch screens. I have to use a touch screen PDA at work, have used it for years and still hate it. I also like the way my BlackBerry works, it is easy and comfortable. Most of my browsing is to sites where reading text is the main objective and my Bold works very well for that and is plenty fast.
    . RIM has historically never leapfrogged any company's technology except their own. I'll be impressed if they change up their strategy now... There's nothing wrong with it, but that's just how it is. They make each generation of Blackberries better than the previous. The formula has worked for a lot of folks so far...

I love how I can open and edit my work spreadsheets and documents with Docs to Go Premium no matter where I am. I also like being able to use my media card to transport huge files from one computer to another, no matter what kind of file it is. Some keep trying to convince us there is something wrong with us for liking our BlackBerries, but it just helps me identify the features I like and the reasons I choose to stay with BlackBerry.
    . Wouldn't the media card thing be universally useful?

For the record, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. A question was asked, and I answered with my opinion, as have many of us. The folks here seem to cry "troll" the moment anyone suggests there are other solutions that work also, and some have tried to tell me I'll not be welcome here when I do switch, even though I still have a bunch of relevant knowledge of the BB devices.

Replies in bold above...

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-10-10 at 03:48 PM.
    09-10-10 03:32 PM
    As of now, I'm staying put. I've tried a plethora of devices and so far I've found the 9700 to work best for me. I do feel they need to step it up a bit. For the time being, Blackberry ftw.
    09-10-10 03:37 PM
    and some have tried to tell me I'll not be welcome here when I do switch, even though I still have a bunch of relevant knowledge of the BB devices.
    Don't listen to that bs. If a mod says it then that's one thing, but when a user says it, that means jack. Just angry fanboys is all. The Mods want you to stay even if you switch, you are still part of the CrackBerry nation. The more active users/traffic, the more money CrackBerry makes. They also have sub-forums here, so it's obvious they want you to stay.
    09-10-10 03:37 PM
    For me it makes more sense to use a bold that is very easy for info input. after the time playing with the droids I realized it will always be harder even if I do get use to it. BOLD ftw for me.

I'm glad you seem to have a grasp on what you're comfortable with

Now tell me why you are so concerned about what phone I like? If you think droid is for you go for it big guy. I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it I could care less. I do know if you switch and tell us how much you love you droid I won't be saying to you "oh how can you go away from BB I can't believe it" could care less about you or your phone. Someone will have to explain to me sometime why people that like android are so threatened by people that still like BB. GET A LIFE LOSER!! P.S. When I went from a dumbphone to BB even though it took me a little bit to get use to the phone. I knew within 15 minutes of playing with it I would like the kb. So don't tell me what I need and don't need to do when deciding on a phone.

First off, go easy on the "loser" bit there, lest folks realize your true intellect here. Traditionally, if someone needs to resort to personal attacks, it's a sign that they are lousy at debating or their argument doesn't hold much water.

Personally, I couldn't possibly care any less what device anybody here uses. It does irk me a bit when folks pull the whole "I used a (insert device they want to bash) for 20 minutes, and let me tell you, it's total crap". That, to me, is the sign of someone with a closed mind, who likely went into the experience already prepared to not like it, and wanted to use the experience to help justify whatever their choice is.

As I said, I couldn't care less what device any of you use, but stop the foolish bashing of products not produced by RIM, as it just makes you look like a fool. I could turn your argument around and call you a loser who's frantically trying to defend his/her choice of device to anybody who will listen. Why would you think the rest of us care what device you pick? Do you feel like you're so important any of us should care? I'm not going there, however, as I've got no reason to. Everybody here can tell who is being reasonable and who's acting like a fool...
    Replies in bold above...

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-10-10 at 06:04 PM.
    09-10-10 03:45 PM
    Replies in bold above...

I have never bashed android just said it was not for me. For some reason android fanboys are threatened by people not liking androids. BB does everything i need and does it well. Why would i switch? I guess I am too the point where I am leaving this forum. I joined a while after my first bb when I had some trouble. This forum used to be used for help on devices and a friendly debate about BB's. Now if the word BB is even mentioned 10 droid fanboys jump all over it and say how much better it is. Annoying!! I didn't care for it and I have had all sorts of phones and if after 45 minutes I know if I can get use to a phone and enjoy the phone after the learning curve. Droid does not pass for me! Not even a close number 2! Never said it was a bad phone just a bad phone for me. Okay now after this post there will be 5 android fanboys telling me I am doing everything wrong and its my fault I don't like droids not the phones fault. Just old! I like me phone and if you have a problem or a negative comment please keep it too yourself. P.s. according to this little poll started by a android user....I think it shows that I am not the only one happy with RIM. 75%???? did I read that right?
    09-10-10 08:59 PM
    I left bb for the Droid X and personally if Rim made some changes or at least showed me they are heading in the right direction I would return. I had the Storm 2 as my last bb and didn't feel Rim was going to give it OS 6.0 and I was right. So how does everyone else feel about Rim at this time, were are they going with the Blackberry devices?
    I just tried the EVO and it lasted 3 days! The grass is NOT greener on the other side! JMO BB's have many features that we take advantage of Email,Messaging,battery life,BBM just to name a few that the droids do not even come close to.
    09-10-10 09:13 PM
    I just tried the EVO and it lasted 3 days! The grass is NOT greener on the other side! JMO BB's have many features that we take advantage of Email,Messaging,battery life,BBM just to name a few that the droids do not even come close to.
    There are alot of people that feel that way!! Nothing wrong with RIM and it's only going to get better. RIM is going NO WHERE
    09-10-10 09:16 PM
    Replies in bold above...

Funny, I reread my post and didn't see where I attacked anyone, criticized another device, called anyone a troll or wrote anything except what I like about my Bold. If I were to be a troll hunter or wanted to attack you personally Sandy, I'd pick some other place.

Last edited by exelant; 09-10-10 at 11:56 PM.
    09-10-10 11:28 PM
    If there is nothing wrong with RIM, I fail to understand the necessity of "hoping" that they step it up.
    You're seriously misguided. Is it wrong for people to want better things? Also, it's normal for businesses to suffer setbacks. Some of us like what RIM is producing, and hope they keep on doing it. If RIM goes down and under, where are we going to get our BBs? In this case is it wrong to support RIM and hope they step it up, especially when the market has changed?

Your original 3-word post if not a troll comment would be garbage as well. Either that or "Yea, good luck" could be considered a prophetic vision.
    09-10-10 11:51 PM
    Funny, I reread my post and didn't see where I attacked anyone, criticized another device, called anyone a troll or wrote anything except what I like about my Bold. If I were to be a troll hunter or wanted to attack you personally Sandy, I'd pick some other place.

I didn't mean to imply you were calling anybody a troll. When I typed what I replied to you with, I didn't realize I was going to subsequently also type a reply to the other fellow who was throwing the word troll about.

The rest of what I said seems to be fairly applicable though. RIM doesn't leapfrog anybody but themselves traditionally. We'll have to see what the QNX OS and alleged new hardware they're going to make in the future holds to see if they've broken their pattern of simply making better BB's/if they're going to start trying to leapfrog other devices. I mean it's been how long since rev A came out and the Curve series is still rev 0 if I'm reading things correctly. That's not much of a leapfrog there. I'm not bashing when I point that out, since clearly there are people out there that it works for.
    09-11-10 02:02 AM
    You're seriously misguided. Is it wrong for people to want better things? Also, it's normal for businesses to suffer setbacks. Some of us like what RIM is producing, and hope they keep on doing it. If RIM goes down and under, where are we going to get our BBs? In this case is it wrong to support RIM and hope they step it up, especially when the market has changed?

Your original 3-word post if not a troll comment would be garbage as well. Either that or "Yea, good luck" could be considered a prophetic vision.
    Well, if people want better things, they need to express that to the company producing the things they want improved. That's the beauty of the free market system. If enough people were to vote with their wallets and switch to company B's devices, company A realizes they've lost a lot of sales and will try to offer items more inline with or better/quicker/stronger/lighter/(whatever) than what company B produces to get their customers back.

If enough people keep buying things from Company A to satisfy them, they have little incentive to change their formula. Just like the Detroit Lions. Fools still bought tickets to the games even when they had such abysmal records it was laughable. The team owners still got the concession money, still sold out the stadium more often than not, etc, so they had no incentive to field a better team. Now if the ticket sales and therefore concenssion sales dried up, you'd better believe they'd have took a step back, figured out hey, the consumers want us to field a better team, we need to do so ASAP, and would have done it.

Sorry for bringing up the Lions, and I'm in no way trying to make a comparison between RIM and the Lions, so don't be insulted by it, I was just stating a point about how consumers can bring about change in the free market system.
    09-11-10 02:11 AM
    I didn't mean to imply you were calling anybody a troll. When I typed what I replied to you with, I didn't realize I was going to subsequently also type a reply to the other fellow who was throwing the word troll about.

The rest of what I said seems to be fairly applicable though. RIM doesn't leapfrog anybody but themselves traditionally. We'll have to see what the QNX OS and alleged new hardware they're going to make in the future holds to see if they've broken their pattern of simply making better BB's/if they're going to start trying to leapfrog other devices. I mean it's been how long since rev A came out and the Curve series is still rev 0 if I'm reading things correctly. That's not much of a leapfrog there. I'm not bashing when I point that out, since clearly there are people out there that it works for.
    Perhaps leapfrog was the wrong term as what BlackBerries offer is different, but very useful for someone like me who isn't interested in games and other on-line media. But do me a favor - have a little etiquette and save your rants for posts where you're not quoting me.

09-11-10 08:13 AM
    If everything is fine with RIM and you're all happy with your device because it does what you need it to do, why don't you all go back to your 8703e like I used 3 years ago? It does email. It has a keyboard. It has BBM. It's secure. So why upgrade? It does everything you want? Oh wait I forgot. You secretly wanted a better browser. You secretly wanted better media capabilities like music and pictures. You secretly wanted better screens and resolution. You are actually secretly craving better apps besides those garbage 10k apps you pay dearly for. See? You all are 'happy' with your device but yet you secretly crave all the things that the Droids and Iphone has already. Keep telling yourselves that. Never upgrade again because you were 'happy'. But you'll never see 'geniuses' like Paris Hilton or Miley Cyrus with a Droid. They're happy with their Blackberries too.
    09-11-10 08:26 AM
    I have no need for all the flashy multimedia hype that the androids have. I use my for phone for communication not entertainment.
    Summed up nicely.
    09-11-10 08:29 AM
    RIM Is far from failing. Just because Android devices and the iPhone get more publicity doesn't mean that they're the more popular choice. If anything the furious marketing schemes of both devices say to me that they need more people to move to them.

Blackberry's have always been the more popular choice for hardcore messaging, I'm always recieving emails and i always need to be available to respond to them as quick as possible especially if it's to do with business so a BB is my favourite choice especially after i recieved my first one last week.

I've tried out both iPhones and Android devices and whilst they're each good for entertainment neither of them seem to be good enough for my messaging needs. The BB Just gets it right first time every time, LED, Buzz, Tone.
    Plus the full keyboard built right into the device means it's also eliminating the need to wait for a software keyboard to pop up or having to slide your device up to respond if you don't want to use a god awful software keyboard. Very minor gripes i know but when you need to respond quickly, It makes all the difference.

I'm one of those balanced users that wants a good multimedia experience and a good communication experience. Whilst Android does the multimedia brilliantly it kind of lacks in the communication, Same goes for the iPhone plus i refuse to be limited to firing up iTunes every time i want to check if my device has a minor update that lets me do some stupid feature that should be built in anyway (A La the uploading video via wifi which was only just included in the last iPhone update, wtf?). Sure my Curve 8520 doesn't rock the best screen, Sure it doesn't have terabytes of application memory or a Processor that could turn back time if it hits 88mph, But because the software is brilliantly made it handles multi tasking like a dream and also keeps me tuned into my music and radio whilst i'm on the move, and also keeps me connected to all my email accounts and IM Protocols quickly and easily.
    Last edited by Mowsey; 09-11-10 at 08:43 AM.
    09-11-10 08:38 AM
    If everything is fine with RIM and you're all happy with your device because it does what you need it to do, why don't you all go back to your 8703e like I used 3 years ago? It does email. It has a keyboard. It has BBM. It's secure. So why upgrade? It does everything you want? Oh wait I forgot. You secretly wanted a better browser. You secretly wanted better media capabilities like music and pictures. You secretly wanted better screens and resolution. You are actually secretly craving better apps besides those garbage 10k apps you pay dearly for. See? You all are 'happy' with your device but yet you secretly crave all the things that the Droids and Iphone has already. Keep telling yourselves that. Never upgrade again because you were 'happy'. But you'll never see 'geniuses' like Paris Hilton or Miley Cyrus with a Droid. They're happy with their Blackberries too.
    ^^^Post of the day!^^^
    09-11-10 09:52 AM
    Oh wow, thanks buddy you blew our cover. Dang now everyone knows we secretly crave a better browser and they're gonna laugh at us. Oh, the humiliation! Oh, the shame! Oh, oh!

Btw, you have an uncanny knack of searching out secrets and could make a valuable member of our Secret 7 Society. Wanna come for a tryout next Wednesday?

On a serious note: Since when does happy = contented?
    09-11-10 09:53 AM
    Came across this site somehow. It talks about why Rim sucks. Thought it may/may not be appropriate to share here. I'm in the I'm already left camp.

Why RIM Sucks | NewsYo
    And he's basically saying RIM is terrible because what he's looking for the equivalent of the 9780 but they didn't bring it out when he wanted it out?!? Oh, well.

As for me, personally, RIM is doing just fine. I'm a BB noob, but definitely a techie. My expectations for a phone are probably quite different than yours. I need certain features & they need to have easy access. Anything else extra on the phone is an added benefit for me, not the reason I buy or don't buy a phone. The fact that your list of necessary features & priorities is different than mine doesn't necessarily mean that RIM is terrible, just that some other phone meets your needs better. The Torch does just fine for me.

I've seen comments, here, that a touchscreen is unnecessary, maybe even worthless. My particular experience has been years of using WM & Android on touchscreen phones. So, being able to do certain things via touchscreen is more convenient for me. Old habits die hard. But that doesn't mean that anyone else is (or isn't) going to be happy using the same hardware I want. And, either way, it doesn't make RIM a better or worse company for the consumer.

Just my thinking on the subject.
    09-11-10 10:18 AM
    If you seriously are comparing 8703e to the new bolds you know nothing about the new BB. But you must miss BB or why would you hang around a BB website? Makes no sense. I wouldn't use a droid if someone gave it too me. I don't care for em......
    09-11-10 01:35 PM
    Read my latest blog post about this discussion, see if you agree;
    Blackberry Marketing Plummeting?

09-11-10 02:03 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD