I've been using a Pearl 8130 for the past 2.5 years and I've loved it. That being said I think it's time for a new phone. I'm not a big fan of Apple, so I'm leaning away from the iPhone, and I've had a good experience with my current BB.

What I want to know is whether people think now would be a good time to upgrade to one of the current BB's on the market. An option would be the new Pearl 9100 seeing as how I like the 8130, but I also was thinking of something with a bigger screen, maybe a Storm 2. The problem with that is I'm concerned that I'll get it and then it'll be obsolete in 3 months. What do folks think, should I just wait until the fall or winter to get something with OS 6?

Thanks for your input,
    Sano
    06-09-10 02:20 PM
    First of all, stop worrying about obsolescence. Any phone you buy will be obsolete
    the second you walk out of the store. There will always be something newer in
    the pipeline

Now to your upgrade question. YES!! This is a great time. There are some very
    good devices coming out on all platforms.

Personally, I am not looking at anything other than the Pearl 3G. I'll be one of the
    first in line when it is available here in the US.

The 8900, 9700 and 9650 are also very good current production BlackBerrys.
    The EVO and the Incredible are very good Android devices and Nokia has a
    good lineup also.
    06-09-10 02:29 PM
    Welcome.

There is always going to be that concern about be outdated when buying pretty much anything new. To say that your device will become "obsolete" is kinda foolish though, because your phone will work just as it did the day you bought it regardless of how many newer, 'cooler' phones come out.

The question really boils down to how fast and bad you want to upgrade and what you're looking for in a phone. If youre looking for something with 6.0, a bigger screen and touch, then the 9800 might be up your alley. But then again, we don't know what carrier youre on.

Good luck.
    06-09-10 02:33 PM
    When isn't it a good time to get an upgrade?

If you are considering the move to touch screen I would recommend playing with one for a while to see if you like it. I was seriously considering one but eventually I changed my mind. I just can't handle those things.
    06-09-10 02:35 PM
    I went from an 8130 to my 9650. I decided it was time as when I am eligible for my next upgrade LTE should be in full swing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 02:40 PM
    Go as high end as you can. The Curves aren't the greatest in build quality compared to like my Tour and I love my phone. I would suggest something upgradable to OS 6 though (you'll thank me later) like the 9650 or 9700, or 9550 if you want a touch screen (I would probably).
    06-09-10 02:43 PM
    The 9550 is a great phone which still retains the awesome SureType keyboard I'm sure you've come to enjoy. Not to mention the screen size is obviously bigger than any other berry. However, the new Pearl looks super nice, with HSPA to boot as well.

If you want to wait for the latest and greatest, check out the 9800. It will also have SureType along with the full physical keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 03:31 PM
    Thanks for the replies folks. I'm actually leaning toward the new Pearl since i've liked my current Pearl so much. My primary uses for my BB are messaging, email and basic productivity applications. I'm not much of a game player or media user, although I have used my BB for music and photos on occasion.

what is the word on the Pearl 9100 supporting OS6? does it look like it's likely? If so that would be excellent as I'm very much looking forward to the new OS, I'm hoping the webkit browser improves the browsing experience somewhat, that's the only thing I'd really like to be improved greatly on my next device.
    06-09-10 03:33 PM

Personally, I am not looking at anything other than the Pearl 3G. I'll be one of the
    first in line when it is available here in the US.

That is interesting. I used to love the candybar factor. If that does come to the U.S. I may have to try one out.
    06-09-10 04:56 PM
    There is the 9670 Clamshell and the 9800 Slider in the works if you don't like the form factors of the current lineup.
    06-09-10 05:08 PM
    If your current phone works fine still I would wait till actually seeing and being able to play with OS 6 first, maybe you'll like it and maybe not.
    06-09-10 05:17 PM
    That is interesting. I used to love the candybar factor. If that does come to the U.S. I may have to try one out.
    I kid you not. The Pearl 3G is the ONLY upcoming BB on my radar. I always
    thought the Pearl had the best k/board of any BB and I am really looking forward
    to this model.
    06-09-10 05:18 PM
    I like my Storm2 a LOT, but I'll be honest with you. I wouldn't buy a Storm2 right now unless you buy a used one with the intention of selling it within the year for something newer. The main reason is the memory. Even if the Storm2 does get OS 6 there's not going to be much room left for applications. I wouldn't at all be surprised if RIM does a silent production change to the S2 though for more RAM before OS 6 hits. IF they do that, then I'd recommend it. OTherwise wait for S3 or something. I think if I needed to buy a new BB right now I would go with the Bold 9650 since it has the extra memory and everything. The screen is smaller, but I think it would be OK.
    06-09-10 06:02 PM
    I kid you not. The Pearl 3G is the ONLY upcoming BB on my radar. I always
    thought the Pearl had the best k/board of any BB and I am really looking forward
    to this model.
    yeah I find it kind of interesting that a lot of people don't like the suretype keyboard. I could understand if you were used to a full qwerty layout, but I've gotten really used to the suretype and have no problems typing full emails very efficiently. It's actually a lot easier for me to use than the full qwerty keyboard, likely because I'm so used to it.

i think I might just hang on to this device for awhile like a previous poster mentioned. It's getting the job done and I'll be interested to see how OS 6 functions on the different devices that will be supported ie. the Pearl 3G and future models.
    06-09-10 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD