Pricing and marketing go hand in hand.

Clearly Z10 and Q10 phones are not the phones BBRY thought they were. MSRP of $650 was WRONG and hobbled sales.

What would've worked?

E-Bay (Canada) has new Z10 selling at just under $400 and Q10 at around $450. They are selling so this market has spoken.

They seem to be starting to move at less than $100 on a 2yrs contract and I looked at 6 different mall cell phone stores and they all had all models available and they seem to be sitting in the right price range now.
    09-24-13 12:11 PM
    I don't know what blackbeery is...but it sounds delicious!

All jokes aside, I agree. Pricing them the same as the current high end devices was a mistake. While they perform admirably, they just weren't priced to sell in the current market. I think a starting price of $99 on contract and around $450 outright would have made a huge difference in adopting BB10 devices. And larger adoption rates would have attracted developers to the platform faster as well.
    KenFletch likes this.
    09-24-13 12:16 PM
    The pricing is just the suggested list and the eBay pricing may reflect the actual selling price in an open market.

Going into a cellular dealer in Canada and USA, they will use the suggested list to convince you it is better to sign a new contract and get the phone at a free or discounted price. It is in the dealers best interest to sell you a contract, not just sell you a phone. In addition, the cellular dealers probably don't own the stock and can only sell them at the price authorized by their carrier, the carrier that is more interested in contract customers than just selling phones.
    09-24-13 12:23 PM
    Msrp of $449 would have been enough. The Q5 imo should not have happened and the Q10 should have launched at $499.

These prices seem like a lot but they are significantly less than the competition.

They should not have used the Z and Q alphanumeric names but rather retained the Curve names for these phones. This would have established them as mid tier phones. By 2013 that's what they really were.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 12:46 PM
    I honestly thought they would seed the market with tons of free or near free Z10s.

Somehow BB management missed the fact they had burned all vendor goodwill and actually were depending on the fact that many BB users were hostages that never likes the phones or had stopped liking them but were given no choice by IT

Also one carrier for 4-6 months to get this out.

and what genius decided OS10 phone use would require an upgrade to BES10!!!!

Paralyzed corporate sales. mega-Duh..

1. keep old version and existing phones but can't use OS10
    2. Upgrade software and can keep old phones and add BB10 as just another BYOD phone
    3. decide om BB10 phones and must use BES10 , BES must be there firrst, installed, trialed, etc, so Z10 have to wait

again , the hostgaes broke free and BBRY didn't know!
    09-24-13 01:37 PM
    BlackBerry is like at Thoroughbred Racehorse... with a broken leg.

"right-pricing" isn't going to do anything at this point, they are out of the race. Giving away phones and putting more into marketing and advertising is not going to overcome the issue.... that BB10 is not a compatible device in the current market.

Right now the Z10 can be had for 0 down of a two year contract at Verizon...
    09-24-13 02:14 PM
    I don't think pricing is the end all, most people I know get their phones on 2-3 years contract, BlackBerry will range from $0 to $99 on crontract. I don't know too many people that will buy a cell phone for $600 - $700 out right.

I think the fact (my personal experience) that carrier sales person pushes the consumer towards the likes of iPhone or Samsung device due to Apps available, wins the majority of the time

Listen I've had a BlackBerry for a few years (since 2007), when I went for my upgrade in June, I already knew that I wanted the Q10. The Rep representing my Carrier tried to stear me away from BlackBerry onto Android because BlackBerry didn't have some of the apps available, that was her sales pitch. I'm one person, same happened to one of my friend.

I live in Canada by the way, you'd think they pushed BlackBerry a bit more.

Iphone and Android sale like hot cakes no matter what price point they're at. Apps rules the consumer market.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:55 PM
    They seed BES 10 installs with heavily discounted/free devices and some corporations will bit. I know of a couple companies (major brand names) off the top of my head still using old BBOS devices.
    09-24-13 03:00 PM
    I know the issue of pricing and contract. A two year contract amnt to about $300 off the MSRP for a new phone. Most get discounted pretty heavily 6-9 mo after release dependingon the competion.

So BB expected people to pay top line price when they were released but they were never top specs , had a learning curve and the App problem.

In any event water under the bridge.

Only way forward on the device is to get all those phones out there.

BTW , I'm happy for my purposes the Z10 is down to zero on a twp year contract because ... my old phone contract just finished ... 3 yrs, my Torch is falling apart, held together by a soft case. Still like it though.
    09-24-13 03:22 PM