Hi there, I was an avid Blackberry fan up to the point when Google apps really took off and left the choice Blackberry gave far behind. Now that you can get the same apps as Google via the Amazon store or Google Play on the Blackberries i'm looking to return. However there is the issue of Whatsapp which i use religiously every day.
    So here is my question. If i was to download the Whatsapp app from Amazon or google onto say a Blackberry Classic would the app work??
    01-09-17 07:31 AM
    If Apps and whatsp is important to you than stay far away from BB10 OS. Some have it working but really, for how long?

Posted via CB10
    Seconded.

Whatsapp will *officially* supported until June. After that you will have to play the workaround game. BUT, WA can change their systems at any time to require Android 4.4 or higher, and if that happens no BlackBerry OS or BB10 will work.

If you need the app, don't rely on workarounds that aren't guaranteed to function in the future. You will wind up regretting the money spent on a phone that might suddenly not meet your needs.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    Hi there, I was an avid Blackberry fan up to the point when Google apps really took off and left the choice Blackberry gave far behind. Now that you can get the same apps as Google via the Amazon store or Google Play on the Blackberries i'm looking to return. However there is the issue of Whatsapp which i use religiously every day.
    So here is my question. If i was to download the Whatsapp app from Amazon or google onto say a Blackberry Classic would the app work??
    Some have it working but I wouldn't bank on that being the case for too long. If it's the pkb you like, your best bet might be the upcoming Mercury device. Yes its Android but it has a pkb and you won't have to worry about whatsapp.
    01-09-17 07:36 AM
    Thanks Ray689 will have a look when it comes out, shame as i found the Blackberry OS very user friendly
    01-09-17 08:43 AM
    If Apps and whatsp is important to you than stay far away from BB10 OS. Some have it working but really, for how long?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 09:04 AM
    So , native WA on BB10 will be supported until mid of the year, at least. They already extended the support once, so there is a fair chance they might do it again.
    If not, once support has expired , this doesn't mean WA will no longer work. It will continue to work as before, and I guess, at least as long as your phone will last. You might have to give up on some of the latest features that they might release on other platforms.
    If that doesn't work for you for whatever reason, you can install the original play store Android version. Some reports here tell that it runs ok.
    If all this is insufficient for you, and / or makes you too concerned, then BB10 is not the right platform for you.
    01-09-17 09:33 AM
    If not, once support has expired , this doesn't mean WA will no longer work. It will continue to work as before, and I guess, at least as long as your phone will last. You might have to give up on some of the latest features that they might release on other platforms
    Don't count on that. WhatsApp will most likely make changes on the server side that will completely break functionality on older clients. You won't even be able to log in using outdated client versions.
    01-09-17 09:43 AM
    My amazon download still works fine. It says support is ending but I think it will work for a while. I also have Cobalt play store loaded so would download from there next if Amazon failed.
    On that note does anyone know what version of Android does amazon fire run?
    Hard to think what's up would be in a hurry to punt Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 10:14 AM
    Don't count on that. WhatsApp will most likely make changes on the server side that will completely break functionality on older clients. You won't even be able to log in using outdated client versions.
    Yes this will happen eventually. But not in the first 6 to 12 months after support has expired, I'm pretty sure. This means, at least 12 to 18 months from now. And how long do mobile phones last?
    I just wanted to outline the options for the OP.
    01-09-17 10:19 AM
    My amazon download still works fine. It says support is ending but I think it will work for a while. I also have Cobalt play store loaded so would download from there next if Amazon failed.

Posted via CB10
    Where does it say support is ending for the Amazon version? From Amazon, you're getting the android version, AFAIK. This should not expire at all...
    However, just to clarify for the OP: no need to load the Amazon nor the play store version until mid 2017. At least until then, you can use the native BB10 WA version from BlackBerry World. This should be the most stable and best integrated version for now.
    01-09-17 10:28 AM
    And how long do mobile phones last?
    The answer to that question w/r/t BlackBerry is essentially indefinitely. Look at the Z10 and even the 9900 chugging along in 2017, some four/six years after launch.

However, don't assume third party developers are similarly nostalgic for the platform. It's silly to buy a phone hoping that Whatsapp will go back on their word in six months, or to assume that they'd dawdle in pulling the plug. To quote an actual Whatsapp dev:

It will not continue to work fine.
    The app will expire, and the servers will eventually stop letting it connect.

We put in all these warnings, as annoying as they are, to give users ample time to switch to a supported platform to continue using the app.
    The fact that a new thread on this topic seems to appear almost every day, where someone is newly surprised, just proves the necessity of these constant reminders.
    The previous BlackBerry World release (2.16.58) was due to expire in October. This update (2.16.66) was necessary, as I'm pretty sure users want to be able to continue using the app until the end of the calendar year.

There were also a few minor changes and fixes, but nothing that represents a serious investment of development effort.
    The app itself has a timer; once that timer passes, no more Whatsapp. When trying to unify features across the userbase it's useful to ensure that users are on the latest supported version rather than some old antiquated one, hence the timer. That's why people who refused to update the native app had Whatsapp cut out on New Year's Day. Unless Whatsapp reneges again on their deadline then come July the BB10 native app would have ticked past the timer and finally died.

Of course, one could try their luck with the Android Whatsapp app, but that's just stacking workarounds on top of workarounds.
    01-09-17 10:35 AM
    The answer to that question w/r/t BlackBerry is essentially indefinitely. Look at the Z10 and even the 9900 chugging along in 2017, some four/six years after launch.

However, don't assume third party developers are similarly nostalgic for the platform. It's silly to buy a phone hoping that Whatsapp will go back on their word in six months, or to assume that they'd dawdle in pulling the plug. To quote an actual Whatsapp dev:

The app itself has a timer; once that timer passes, no more Whatsapp. When trying to unify features across the userbase it's useful to ensure that users are on the latest supported version rather than some old antiquated one, hence the timer. That's why people who refused to update the native app had Whatsapp cut out on New Year's Day. Unless Whatsapp reneges again on their deadline then come July the BB10 native app would have ticked past the timer and finally died.

Of course, one could try their luck with the Android Whatsapp app, but that's just stacking workarounds on top of workarounds.
    That's why I'm hesitant to return as well. Though I have a droid z running the latest Android so for me would just me a matter of swapping SIM cards. The question is do I really wanna be carrying around 2 phones.
    01-09-17 10:43 AM
    Yes this will happen eventually. But not in the first 6 to 12 months after support has expired, I'm pretty sure. This means, at least 12 to 18 months from now. And how long do mobile phones last?
    I just wanted to outline the options for the OP.
    But are you sure about that... most indications were that when WhatsApp pulled support for BBOS, BB10 and the other fringe OS, it would be immediate as it was a Server Side change. Let's face it, this extension isn't about them updating the app and making it better, it's about them keeping those servers going a little longer as there were enough users still there - or they just weren't ready for full implementation of their new solution. There has been one extension, maybe there will be another. But I would not go suggesting that WhatsApp might work another 18 months... it's a different situation than BlackBerry dropping development of the FaceBook App.

Truth is we won't know, till they do it....
    01-09-17 10:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Seconded.

Whatsapp will *officially* supported until June. After that you will have to play the workaround game. BUT, WA can change their systems at any time to require Android 4.4 or higher, and if that happens no BlackBerry OS or BB10 will work.

If you need the app, don't rely on workarounds that aren't guaranteed to function in the future. You will wind up regretting the money spent on a phone that might suddenly not meet your needs.

Last edited by kvndoom; 01-10-17 at 07:03 AM. Reason: made correction
    01-09-17 10:48 AM
    That's why I'm hesitant to return as well. Though I have a droid z running the latest Android so for me would just me a matter of swapping SIM cards. The question is do I really wanna be carrying around 2 phones.
    I never understood having multiple devices. You can evaluate what you need each phone for; if the math comes up such that you can do almost all (if not all) of what you do in the day to day with just one, then stick with just one. That your Moto Z has Nougat on it is a big plus, though.
    01-09-17 10:50 AM
    If WhatsApp is important then BB10 is definitely the wrong platform. The current native app still works but it's missing features (quoted messages, video chat, etc) and the Android version requires a third party app to work correctly. Your notifications on the Android version won't be as reliable either because of how push notifications work on the runtime.

https://developer.blackberry.com/and...roid_apps.html

If you need a keyboard phone you should look into the Priv or upcoming Mercury.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-09-17 10:57 AM
    But are you sure about that... most indications were that when WhatsApp pulled support for BBOS, BB10 and the other fringe OS, it would be immediate as it was a Server Side change. Let's face it, this extension isn't about them updating the app and making it better, it's about them keeping those servers going a little longer as there were enough users still there - or they just weren't ready for full implementation of their new solution. There has been one extension, maybe there will be another. But I would not go suggesting that WhatsApp might work another 18 months... it's a different situation than BlackBerry dropping development of the FaceBook App.

Truth is we won't know, till they do it....
    I'm pretty sure == I'm not totally sure. Just pretty sure, which includes, I might be wrong.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-09-17 01:18 PM
    Apparently, OP wants to use a BB10 device (again?) but is concerned about WA support on the platform. So, what's wrong with that approach, in the light of nobody KNOWING for sure what's going to happen and when:

install & use native BB10 WA version. This gives you at least 6 months hassle free use from now on. It could even be they extend support further. It could even be it will continue to work for a while, if support stops. I am ALMOST sure (means I don't know for sure, but think so) they won't turn it off on day one after support has ended officially.

Once they turned it off, try the Android version from either the Amazon App Store or from Google play.

If it doesn't run satisfyingly for you, you will have to change platform THEN. But it gives you the option of sticking to your preferred platform as long as any possible, maybe even for one or two more years.
    If all this is too cumbersome for you or makes you feel insecure, you will have to choose a different platform NOW.
    01-09-17 01:45 PM
    Oh yes, how long do phones last. Lets try to read between the lines:
    I know they 'last' longer than just a few months. I do own some old Nokias from more than 20 years ago, and they still work.
    Also, some old Curves and Bolds of mine still work.

But how long does the average user USE a phone nowadays? Don't many people want to change to a new phone every two years or so (plus minus some time), even though their current phones still work properly?

So if the OP is someone who uses to use his phones for 10+ years (don't think so, but could be wrong), the approach with trying to keeping a BB10 device + WA alive will be wrong for him.
    If he wants to change to a newer phone every now and then, the outlined approach might work for him.

And who knows, maybe the miracle will happen and someone releases a new BB10 device (I THINK chances are close to zero, but I don't KNOW).
    01-09-17 02:04 PM
    Reaching.. ..Reaching.. ..Reaching.....
    OP, no one can tell you what to do. You need to evaluate what is most important to you and make your decision from there. If you have the money and want to take a chance, why not? Otherwise I would stick with Android if WA is extremely important to you.
    01-09-17 05:50 PM
    OP stay away from BB10. As every day passes less and less android apps work in my experience. Whatsapp will eventually drop support as well. If it isn't in June it will be soon after. They won't support this platform forever. Get on a supported platform and enjoy your device.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 08:57 PM
    Seconded.

Whatsapp will *officially* supported until June. After that you will have to play the workaround game. BUT, WA can change their systems at any time to require Android 4.4 or higher, and if that happens no BlackBerry device of any sort will work.

Apart from the three (soon to be four) blackberry android devices, please avoid these lumped in statements as that could be very misleading to those who don't know better.
    01-10-17 12:48 AM
    Apart from the three (soon to be four) blackberry android devices, please avoid these lumped in statements as that could be very misleading to those who don't know better.
    Yup sorry, I meant BlackBerry OS or BB10. I corrected it.

Last edited by kvndoom; 01-10-17 at 07:08 AM.
    01-10-17 06:31 AM
    Get an android blackberry. I just don't get how can people consider bb10 at this point, I have mine for sale and I'm so glad I got the Priv

Posted via Passport SE
    01-10-17 06:42 AM