I deleted Whatsapp's chat history in my blackberry, so I can no longer use the function "email chat history" to retrieve a chat log from last week. However, I managed to keep hold of the history (which is stored in the file "messageStore.db") from the last time I synced my blackberry with desktop manager.

There is important information which I need to access from a certain chat. I tried every way to open the "messageStore.db" file using programs such as SQLite Manager, but it says that the file is encrypted.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to open this file. I urgently need the information and am grateful for any tips you could give on how to decrypt the file or open it. Thank you so much for any help you could give.
    Last edited by creeksolute; 08-25-11 at 02:53 AM.
    08-25-11 02:09 AM
    Further info...I have tried:
    MS Excel, Access, SQLite, Paradox Convertor, TextEdit but none of these were able to read the file.
    08-25-11 02:20 AM
    you can replace the messagestore.db on ur bb with the one you have using restore function of the DM and open it up using whatsapp
    08-25-11 02:22 AM
    Hi Walcolm,

Thank you for your prompt reply. The problem is, the phone that I used was temporary - it was my friend's blackberry which I borrowed only for a short trip. After returning his phone that is why I removed the file from the phone and kept the backup in my own computer.

I'm now back to using my own phone and I do have whatsapp in my own bb. Would it be possible to replace the messagestore.db on my own phone instead and restore it through my own whatsapp (which is a totally different number?)
    08-25-11 02:35 AM
    Is there a solution on this topic ... yet?
    10-06-11 05:31 AM
    Very interested... subscribing to thread... i have pulled out the messageStore.bd file, and I need certain importaint information from it, hope there is a solution soon.
    01-16-12 10:57 AM
    there is an app called sqlite expert personal. it's a gui interface for your db files.

SQLite Expert - A powerful administration tool for your SQLite databases it's a freeware for personal edition, just open your db file.

Hopefully it might help.
    01-16-12 11:22 AM
    there is an app called sqlite expert personal. it's a gui interface for your db files.

it's a freeware for personal edition, just open your db file.

Hopefully it might help.
    Thanks azrin640 i have trired that SW but is asks for an encryption key, I have also tryed HEX viewers but all I get is garbage..
    01-16-12 11:47 AM
    This is what Im getting, as well the SQLite version Im using
    Last edited by Dan2012; 01-16-12 at 12:07 PM.
    01-16-12 12:04 PM
    Hi, have you solved this yet as i have the same problem. My phone was stolen.

please let me know...I'm sooo frustrated
    02-01-12 02:48 AM
    Doesnt seem like there is a solution for this issue. Also facing the same problem
    03-11-12 03:21 AM
    Try this website .... complicated but may do the trick. Open messageStore.db Whatsapp Database Files
    09-05-12 04:07 AM
    Hi Guys,

After many hours of trying I finally managed to come up with a solution, I posted it on Blackberry Support Forums Click Here
    10-19-12 06:16 AM
    ***For those who don't want to be redirected here is the text I posted***

I also lost my chats but this was deliberate through swopping phones since my wife could not view messages due to White Screen of Death. When I put back my SIM Card all the chat history was gone despite having chosen option to save messages to media card. I searched everywhere but there was no information, Whatsapp only have option to restore for Android when the reinstall is done but Blackberry automatically selects the most recent backup which in my case was only one chat message. So I will give a rundown of how I got to get old messages back.

1. The backup files are stored on your media card, location address /Media Card/databases/Whatsapp/, all the .db files are back-ups and by pressing Menu, Properties you can see which date it was saved.

2. I connected my Blackberry to the PC, opened the location above and chose the target date of restore as 16 October 2012, so I cut every file except the one for 16 October 2012. I pasted them onto a temp folder I created on my PC desktop.

3. Once you remain with the file for your backup, eject the Media Card from your PC. You should see the Blackberry run that clock, wait for it to finish. Open your Whatsapp Messenger and voila, your messages/chat will be there again

The drawback I have seen in the Blackberry/Whatsapp application is that when you delete and reinstall Whatsapp as advised you will remain with the same recent chat which you dont want and Blackberry's whatsapp has no option to choose which backup you want to use so this manual workaround has worked for me in this instance.
    10-19-12 06:24 AM
    Hey runyamhere,

Can you please tell me - How did you execute the Step 2: ?

I connected my Blackberry to the PC, opened the location above and chose the target date of restore as 16 October 2012, so I cut every file except the one for 16 October 2012. I pasted them onto a temp folder I created on my PC desktop.

I am running in to a similar issue.

Regards,
    Kim Thomas
    10-25-12 02:16 PM
    How do I retrieve the messages from Whatsapp chat in Z10?
    Thanks
    05-15-13 08:17 PM
    I have tried sqlite expert personal but got the following error : "

"File is encrypted or is not a database
    SQL statement:
    Selec name from sqlite_master limit 0,0.
    08-15-13 03:22 PM
    Is there a way to Retrieve a The messages on a PC if you the messagestore.db files & i tried using QL Lite no luck
    08-30-13 01:47 AM
    Did you find any solution?? I tried but failed so many times
    11-30-15 10:30 AM
    Haha, thread necro. Interesting topic though. Thanks for digging it up! :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    11-30-15 04:10 PM
    Hello, could any of you please tell us where is the solution exactly, if you found? Thanks
    Last edited by ellaozpnr; 12-03-15 at 04:59 AM.
    12-03-15 04:44 AM
    Hii, you got the solution? please let me know I am having the same problem
    10-11-16 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD