You couldn't be more wrong my friend...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Care to prove me wrong? Which part am I incorrect about?

Where I said both Q4 10 and Q4 11 would both be affected by holiday sales?

Based on the graph both companies had strong momentum going into early 2011? That RIM faltered after Q2 and Apple after Q3? Again based on the graph presented?

How about the part where I said RIM botched the OS 7 launch so badly it caused people to hold off buying or outright turn away.

I am always up for going back and forth on stuff like this. Helps me keep my mind going.
    04-25-12 05:39 PM
    Wow who/what is this MBA garbage and how are they a remotely credible source?

Apple is a terrible company. Before fanboys jump on me in their defence though, they're terrible people. Steve Jobs was a terrible person and I guess he got what he deserved - that's my opinion at least! If he was a good person at ALL, he would still be alive. I mean, look at Magic Johnson - right?!

you're one of those lean-back and popcorn guys right? let me join you.

sent from my bb9900
    04-25-12 05:46 PM
    what a great read, this kinda dumb $#!+ helps the time fly at the office, keep it up!
    southlander likes this.
    04-25-12 06:34 PM
    Care to elaborate? Apple is still an attractive buy at its current level.
    It was mostly sarcasm. Companies go down and up.

Some people believe that when a company offers to do a buy back on stock at its highest price ever, it is a sign that the executive board sees issues in the future.
    04-25-12 07:01 PM
    ... actually the last thing a company does if it sees issues in the future is trade current cash for future capital loss... If i felt my stock would drop by 25% and I purchased $40Bn in shares thats just an easy way to lose $10Bn..so the purchase because of foreseen issues has no merit...if you see issues/risks you hoard cash, not spend it.

All companies buy stock on the open market regardless of price to maintain a company owned share pool for share participation and stock option schemes, however engaging in a major buy back scheme is more indicative that the company sees upside potential in the stock, and ALSO cannot see a better use for the money.

The latter part is somewhat interesting... given the gearing of r&d expenditures to sales is about 8:1, and about 3:1 on gross margin, it means that Apple cannot identify a better use for that money in terms of new markets/ventures than rolling the dice on its stock price...which given the depressed prices and availability of adjacent segments is really kinda conservative and somewhat sad.

It was mostly sarcasm. Companies go down and up.

Some people believe that when a company offers to do a buy back on stock at its highest price ever, it is a sign that the executive board sees issues in the future.
    04-25-12 07:14 PM
    These topics are getting redundant and the members giving it 60+ posts doesn't help at ALL. It makes it look like y'all LIKE the negativity
    04-26-12 02:31 AM
    One of the most stupidest thing ever seen as a case study and they call themselves MBAians.

Which company gives users most os updates?
    Which company is leaps and bounds ahead in security?
    Which company is toiling hard for an UI no one has ever seen (cascades anyone?)?

RIM = Non-Innovative = False.
    04-26-12 04:53 AM
    The "for good" part was an especially entertaining touch.
    04-26-12 07:23 AM
    ... actually the last thing a company does if it sees issues in the future is trade current cash for future capital loss... If i felt my stock would drop by 25% and I purchased $40Bn in shares thats just an easy way to lose $10Bn..so the purchase because of foreseen issues has no merit...if you see issues/risks you hoard cash, not spend it..
    Who issues stock and who buys it back? Who gets bonuses based on profit per share?
    Those people don't really care about the regular stock trader, just the inside guys and themselves.

Apple announced that they were buying back the stock in order not to dilute it when other shares were issued to employees as part of a bonus.
    04-26-12 08:03 AM
    I don't think the 4S is lackluster. I said the launch has been and its mainly because its the exact same form factor as the 4 and people were hoping for a true leap.

If you want to close your eyes and ignore whats on that graph go right ahead. I know a few other posters have. Note that I also said because the other manufacturers weren't shown it truly doesn't give a complete picture so we don't know what the industry was doing at those same times. It could have been an industry trend for all mfg's to have huge declines at that time of the year or everyone else may have taken a huge bite out of Apple and RIM's share. But we won't know.

As for your link of 35 million iPhones sold if you look at the graph again you will see majority of those phones were 4 not 4S models as that model launched in Q4 and sales dropped rapidly right after its launch.
    Are you talking about the chart in the infograph in the OP? That chart is very confusing. Look at the x-axis. The quarters don't even increase at a constant rate!

Also, it's hard to tell since there's no explanation, but I don't think they're using calendar quarters. I believe the iPhone numbers are using the Apple fiscal year, I'm not sure about the RIM numbers. If I'm right, then the chart doesn't even include the release of the 4s. Remember that Apple's fiscal year ends in September, so the 4s release would have been in 1Q 2012.

Here's another, better chart, through their recent earnings release. Look at the purple line. They sold over 70 million iPhones in Q1 and Q2 of 2012, although that's a mix of the 4s, 4, and 3gs.

source

Anyone have a reliable chart for RIM? I'd love to see it.
    04-26-12 09:05 AM
    04-26-12 10:06 AM
    Are you talking about the chart in the infograph in the OP? That chart is very confusing. Look at the x-axis. The quarters don't even increase at a constant rate!

Also, it's hard to tell since there's no explanation, but I don't think they're using calendar quarters. I believe the iPhone numbers are using the Apple fiscal year, I'm not sure about the RIM numbers. If I'm right, then the chart doesn't even include the release of the 4s. Remember that Apple's fiscal year ends in September, so the 4s release would have been in 1Q 2012.

Here's another, better chart, through their recent earnings release. Look at the purple line. They sold over 70 million iPhones in Q1 and Q2 of 2012, although that's a mix of the 4s, 4, and 3gs.
    Click to view quoted image

source

Anyone have a reliable chart for RIM? I'd love to see it.
    Thank you for that chart. Yes I was referring to the OP's posted chart. As for that, it is very impressive and this chart tells me that the original one in the thread cut off right before the 4S's launch as that graph ends right where this one picks up.
    04-26-12 12:43 PM
    Who cares about the past.. Can't do nothing about it. It's about going forward now. I am happy with what has been going on with the new OS and it's direction. Can't wait to see more of it and on my PlayBook =). I'm not leaving BlackBerry anytime soon. BOOM!
    04-26-12 02:48 PM
    Here's my 2 cents. I've been using BB since 08. I have gone thru them all since except the storm. I've owned BB's on vzw and att so my experience with the BB os is vast. Now, I've also purchased and returned the android moto droid 1, the android thunderbolt, and a week ago purchased a motorola droid 4. I'm typing this post from my 9930. The droid 4 didn't get returned this time though. I'm using it for WiFi browsing, kindle reading, accessing my ENTIRE gmail account(s), etc.
    In short: "I need a physical keyboard" is all I ever hear from the remaining BB users. Or, the only reason I bought a bb is for the keyboard. That's my reason for holding this 9930 in my big hands right now. So when someone, anyone, makes a device with a kickin keyboard and an OS app developers don't abandon...I'll be there waiting. Has anyone seen the new attempt at a BB from Droid on Sprint? Its better than the droid pro! But not as good as the 9000/99xx form factor!
    Motorola Admiral - Sprint Android Smartphone with Push-To-Talk - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
    Last edited by Mamaluka; 04-26-12 at 05:55 PM.
    04-26-12 05:47 PM
    Lol, that's actually pretty accurate.
    Yes. But without the fancy graphic not really worth a read to me. I've seen much better analysis here on CB concerning RIM's "decline".
    04-26-12 08:26 PM
    Perhaps Apple feels an LED is excessive which is why none of the iPhones have one. I don't use mine on my S2 nor do I miss it on my iPhone. I always turned mine off on all of my BBs I owned. To me, it was annoying to see that little light flashing all the time but to each, his own.
    BeBuzz. Makes all the difference to me for this.
    04-26-12 08:45 PM
91 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD