Why are people comparing this quarters results to the Q4 2011 results? Compare Q1 2011 and you will see Apple GAINED. Comparing this quarter to last quarter (holiday) is a little asinine.
    04-25-12 12:42 PM
    who cares!?

I like my Blackberry. Its as simple as that.

As long as it continues to work, I will use it.
    04-25-12 01:06 PM
    The iPhone doesn't even have an LED. Are you kidding me?! It's 2012 and they don't have ongoing visual alerts. Haha. I don't know how that's accetable.
    THIS!

Like, I cant believe they STILL havent put this on a phone yet, it really amazes me.

When I had my iPhone, I couldn't believe how something so small can make such a BIG difference. I missed the led alerts so much!
    Perhaps Apple feels an LED is excessive which is why none of the iPhones have one. I don't use mine on my S2 nor do I miss it on my iPhone. I always turned mine off on all of my BBs I owned. To me, it was annoying to see that little light flashing all the time but to each, his own.
    04-25-12 01:07 PM
    April 17th MBAonline posted this detailed graphic declaring the death of research in motion:

Click to view quoted image

Venturebeats reposted spreading around the graphic to social media outlets.
    Things like this really lay it out to the general consumers, propaganda like this unfortunately makes it's way around the web and spreads half-truths and overall is misleading.

Thought I'd share it here...
    How is this propaganda or half-truth? Looks pretty factual to me. Can you point out the factual errors?

You may not like it, but don't call it a lie just because of that.

- R.
    04-25-12 01:11 PM
    Perhaps Apple feels an LED is excessive which is why none of the iPhones have one. I don't use mine on my S2 nor do I miss it on my iPhone. I always turned mine off on all of my BBs I owned. To me, it was annoying to see that little light flashing all the time but to each, his own.
    When you're used to it, though, the lack of it can be a big deal. I owned Sidekicks from 2006-2009 and those used a blinking trackball. Then I had my blackberry in 2009-2010 with it's beacon of an LED. When I got my Samsung Vibrant which didn't have an LED, one of the first things I put on it was the No LED app.
    04-25-12 01:14 PM
    When you're used to it, though, the lack of it can be a big deal. I owned Sidekicks from 2006-2009 and those used a blinking trackball. Then I had my blackberry in 2009-2010 with it's beacon of an LED. When I got my Samsung Vibrant which didn't have an LED, one of the first things I put on it was the No LED app.
    Agreed. When using my iPhone (3G,3GS and 4) I didn't care about not having the LED notifications (even though my devices before it had it) because I got use to not having it again. Now with my Galaxy Nexus, I can't imagine not having the LED. I'm I'd get use to not having it again if I switched, but at this point in time, it should have LED notifications with the ability to turn it off if you don't like it. Just like some Android devices and BBs do it.
    04-25-12 01:23 PM
    There's a gal that sits in front of me in spin class. She has a BB and keeps it in one of the water bottle pockets on the bike., The LED is constantly going off and I always have to fight the urge to jump off my bike and check it for her .
    mjs416 likes this.
    04-25-12 01:37 PM
    I haven't read this whole thread through, but has anyone else noticed that fall off in sales of the iPhone? Would be interesting to see what happened with the Android and WP platforms at that same time.

Also, again RIM was not losing money up until this last quarter when they issued one time right downs and made acquisitions as well which made everything look worse. Other handset makers are in much worse shape than them right now.
    Last quarter included Christmas. To be more accurate, one should compare this Q1 to the last Q1.
    avt123 likes this.
    04-25-12 01:43 PM
    Thats right - I forgot. A loss of 4 million users for RIM is WAAAAAAAAAY worse than 4 million users lost for Apple. What was I thinking.
    A reduction in device sales is not the same as losing users.
    04-25-12 01:45 PM
    I'm not quite sure I've ever seen someone backpedal so fast.
    I'm not quite sure Ive ever seen someone troll like this.
    04-25-12 01:52 PM
    That's what fanboys say at the start. Then slowly they find themselves defending their choice on their home forum.
    04-25-12 01:52 PM
    It could mean that. If people stop buying the devices to purchase other manufactured devices.

Edit: No I remember why I stay out of this sub forum.
    Last edited by mjs416; 04-25-12 at 02:02 PM.
    04-25-12 01:59 PM
    How is this propaganda or half-truth? Looks pretty factual to me. Can you point out the factual errors?

- R.
    A half-truth is a deceptive statement that includes some element of truth. The statement might be partly true, the statement may be totally true but only part of the whole truth, or it may utilize some deceptive element, such as improper punctuation, or double meaning, especially if the intent is to deceive, evade, blame or misrepresent the truth.

"Half truth" because the graphic uses elements of the truth *factual data* to misrepresent the truth, which is RIM hasn't been loosing profit, just loosing sales. (Up until Q4). I never once said it was a lie, in fact I said it laid it out well. What I meant was labeling big graphic saying DEATH OF RIM when they've hardly even bled (profit wise) is a little outrageous.

I do agree with the graphic in the sense that RIM failed to deliver innovation at a time where innovation was wowing us left and right. RIM let itself slide off our radar. We good people however have our own radars and we know what's good. BB will RISE, but not from death, from the STORM, and deliver an astonishing current OS. I'm excited, wish graphics like these didn't quell other's.
    BoldPreza and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-25-12 02:14 PM

- R.
    And den???????
    04-25-12 02:19 PM
    Last quarter included Christmas. To be more accurate, one should compare this Q1 to the last Q1.
    Why not just compare this Q4 to the previous Q4? Holiday sales would still have an affect on those numbers. Here is what I am seeing. Both companies had serious momentum in early 2011. The launch of OS 7 devices was so severely botched that RIM's sales momentum was lost. People believing that QNX was coming(cause RIM told them so, basically saying OS 7 was obsolete) and so many people moved on or held on to their existing devices.

iPhone meanwhile kept on trucking actually making huge gains through Q2 up to Q3 but due to a people holding off for the 5 and then a lackluster launch of the 4S(people wanted something new) they are now facing the same situation as RIM.

But just looking at these two does not give an accurate idea of what the market has been doing. I would need all manufacturers participating.
    04-25-12 02:27 PM
    A half-truth is a deceptive statement that includes some element of truth. The statement might be partly true, the statement may be totally true but only part of the whole truth, or it may utilize some deceptive element, such as improper punctuation, or double meaning, especially if the intent is to deceive, evade, blame or misrepresent the truth.

"Half truth" because the graphic uses elements of the truth *factual data* to misrepresent the truth, which is RIM hasn't been loosing profit, just loosing sales. (Up until Q4). I never once said it was a lie, in fact I said it laid it out well. What I meant was labeling big graphic saying DEATH OF RIM when they've hardly even bled (profit wise) is a little outrageous.

I do agree with the graphic in the sense that RIM failed to deliver innovation at a time where innovation was wowing us left and right. RIM let itself slide off our radar. We good people however have our own radars and we know what's good. BB will RISE, but not from death, from the STORM, and deliver an astonishing current OS. I'm excited, wish graphics like these didn't quell other's.
    By your own definition your statement is a "half truth" - they are in fact losing sales, and that can lead to the death of a company. Lost sales, given the element of fixed overhead, leads directly to lost profits which will lead to the death of a company. Lost sales can also lead to lost market cap (reduced share price) which can lead to acquisition which does lead to the death of a company as it is no longer an independent entity.

I will give you that your statement "BB will RISE, but not from death, from the STORM, and deliver an astonishing current OS" is not a "half truth". It is "blind faith", and, when not qualified as a personal belief, is also misleading. Try changing "will" to "could" or "might".

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 04-25-12 at 03:02 PM.
    04-25-12 03:00 PM
    By your own definition your statement is a "half truth" - they are in fact losing sales, and that can lead to the death of a company. Lost sales, given the element of fixed overhead, leads directly to lost profits which will lead to the death of a company. Lost sales can also lead to lost market cap (reduced share price) which can lead to acquisition which does lead to the death of a company as it is no longer an independent entity.

I will give you that your statement "BB will RISE, but not from death, from the STORM, and deliver an astonishing current OS" is not a "half truth". It is "blind faith", and, when not qualified as a personal belief, is also misleading. Try changing "will" to "could" or "might".

- R.
    And den???????
    04-25-12 03:02 PM
    Why not just compare this Q4 to the previous Q4? Holiday sales would still have an affect on those numbers. Here is what I am seeing. Both companies had serious momentum in early 2011. The launch of OS 7 devices was so severely botched that RIM's sales momentum was lost. People believing that QNX was coming(cause RIM told them so, basically saying OS 7 was obsolete) and so many people moved on or held on to their existing devices.

iPhone meanwhile kept on trucking actually making huge gains through Q2 up to Q3 but due to a people holding off for the 5 and then a lackluster launch of the 4S(people wanted something new) they are now facing the same situation as RIM.

But just looking at these two does not give an accurate idea of what the market has been doing. I would need all manufacturers participating.
    Not sure I would call the 4s launch lackluster. It was the most successful iPhone launch.

This may have be in part because Sprint finally got the phone.

Sprint says they sold 8 million iPhones during the period. How many came from other carriers, I do not know.
    04-25-12 03:04 PM
    Not sure I would call the 4s launch lackluster. It was the most successful iPhone launch.

This may have be in part because Sprint finally got the phone.

Sprint says they sold 8 million iPhones during the period. How many came from other carriers, I do not know.
    And den????????
    04-25-12 03:06 PM
    And den????????
    As in Lion's Den or Man-Cave??

I'm not sure I understand your question. I assume it's a question as you used question marks. Several in fact.
    04-25-12 04:45 PM

You couldn't be more wrong my friend...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-25-12 04:50 PM
    That's what fanboys say at the start. Then slowly they find themselves defending their choice on their home forum.
    This is a very astute observation of user in this forum.
    04-25-12 05:07 PM
    Hilariously tragic... I should have known death would get Mother Teresa. That evil, evil soul...
    brucep1 likes this.
    04-25-12 05:08 PM

I can't see how anyone could consider that the 4s is or has been lackluster.
    Apple sells 35 million iPhones, posts $11.6 billion profit in record Q2 | The Verge

I don't see any indication that apple is sharing any similar problem with rim, however, I bet rim only wishes that they shared Apple's problem right now. That being, what to do with all of that cash.
    04-25-12 05:17 PM
    I don't think the 4S is lackluster. I said the launch has been and its mainly because its the exact same form factor as the 4 and people were hoping for a true leap.

If you want to close your eyes and ignore whats on that graph go right ahead. I know a few other posters have. Note that I also said because the other manufacturers weren't shown it truly doesn't give a complete picture so we don't know what the industry was doing at those same times. It could have been an industry trend for all mfg's to have huge declines at that time of the year or everyone else may have taken a huge bite out of Apple and RIM's share. But we won't know.

As for your link of 35 million iPhones sold if you look at the graph again you will see majority of those phones were 4 not 4S models as that model launched in Q4 and sales dropped rapidly right after its launch.
    04-25-12 05:34 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD