RESTORE PROBLEM:

Guys: I have searched Cberry for an answer. I had a Tour (Verizon) which died on me and I just got the replacement phone yesterday. I had just upgraded to OS 5.0.0.xxx last week on the old phone and done a backup.

With the new phone, I did an upgrade yesterday from OS 4.7 it came with to 5.0.0.591 and then restored my data using DM and all my 3rd party apps are gone. Had to download all of them again (and me Memo app and all it's data is gone-baby-gone...SAD)...GRRRRR. What did I do wrong? When I updraded the OS on my old phone, I didn't have this problem, and it backed up the whole phone in the process I thought.

There must be an easier way to back up and restore your whole system AND the 3rd party apps. I'm I clueless? This is the first time I've had to set up a replacement BB since I got my original Tour. THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!

ps: One of my very fave apps is the NY Times BB app which bypasses the browser and NYT mobile...it's a standalone reader app like the AP's newsreader. I've used it for a year, and when i upgraded to OS 5.xxx last week, it kept working fine. Now, since upgrading the OS to 5.xx on the new phone, when I try to download the NYT app it says it doesn't support the latest OS. Weird. I WAS using it on
    OS 5.xx last week after upgrading.

Should I just downgrade back to 4.7? There are some things about the latest OS that I like. THANKS AGAIN.

jpatrickdowns AT yahoo.com
    04-09-10 11:23 AM
    Folks: I appreciate your patience, and the answer is probalby already here...just didn't find it. I don't want to become an expert-- any more than necessary-- at this! I love my BB as a tool, but don't want to be an IT guy for it more than necessary. So I have a finite amount of interest in fiddling with it for its own sake. Thanks for any help.
    04-09-10 11:25 AM
    Backup only gets settings and data, not 3rd party apps. BBSAK will backup your 3rd party apps, or you can do this:

third party backup
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/

Don't forget that none of these will back up anything that is on your sd card. You have to do that manually (copying the contents to your PC).
    04-09-10 11:38 AM
    Thanks Grey (and semper fi...my dad was a marine)! A bit sad about that.

You know, I think you can back up everything on an iPhone (dirty word) including all the 3rd party apps and restore it in one shot, and unless i am mistaken, I think my pal backs his up "in the cloud" so that if he ever has to replace his iphone while travelling, he can restore it. does BB have that capability? wouldn't it be nice to be able to back everything up to a USB memory stick so you could restore on the fly? does that exist?

I love my wife's iPod Touch...and it makes me think iphone. BUT-- I absolutely HATE that you can't multi-task on one, and the keyboard sucks. I do like the glass screen.
    Last edited by CrazyCelt; 04-09-10 at 11:58 AM.
    04-09-10 11:43 AM
    Do you love your Storm2, Grey, and did it fix the probs with the intial Storm?
    04-09-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD