I just restarted my BB. Then I noticed a new icon for paid services provided by my carrier.

I was wondering, can your service provider just push applications to your phone like that?

The icon was never there before. This just appeared without my consent.
    05-21-10 09:42 PM
    Yes, your carrier can push services and app loaders to your device. It's part of your contract. It's also pointless to delete them. The carrier will just push them again. Hide them and forget them. There are several threads on this topic if you want to read more, but that's the bottom line.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 09:48 PM
    Or do like what I do. I hate those icons. I go to Menu - Options - Service Books and delete. Just ensure you know what you are deleting. I just don't want them around. I do it each time I reboot or does a battery pull. Its worth my sanity. *venting anger at blurdy carriers*
    05-21-10 10:15 PM
    Or do like what I do. I hate those icons. I go to Menu - Options - Service Books and delete. Just ensure you know what you are deleting. I just don't want them around. I do it each time I reboot or does a battery pull. Its worth my sanity. *venting anger at blurdy carriers*
    Why does it get you so angry? They really don't take up any space at all and you can hide them easily. Don't let the carriers get you upset. It will be ok.

05-22-10 03:16 AM
    I just restarted my BB. Then I noticed a new icon for paid services provided by my carrier.

I was wondering, can your service provider just push applications to your phone like that? WTF!?

For most carriers, you AGREED TO IT when you started your account or current plan/contract.

Hide the icons and forget about them.
    05-22-10 06:43 AM
    Deleting those carrier pushed launchers will not get rid of them. The next time you reboot your device the icons will be back along with the service books. You'd be better off hiding them rather than going through the trouble of deleting the service books, only for them to keep reappearing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-22-10 10:20 AM
    I hide them and forget bout them. I understand objecting to the principle of the pushed apps but put in perspective, if that constitutes a major trauma then life must be otherwise pretty good.

05-22-10 10:35 AM
    The icon takes up like less than 4kb of space on there. Hide it, and forget about it.
    05-22-10 04:17 PM
    For most carriers, you AGREED TO IT when you started your account or current plan/contract.
    Not like you have a choice in the matter, it's not like you can say yes I want a contract but I don't want you pushing all that garbage to my phone. 99.9% of us don't use any of that worthless garbage so why even bother?

Yes, hiding them is the best way to deal with them, but it is quite annoying to have to do it with every new theme installed or new OS upgrade. AT&T is up to over 20 pushed icons now I believe, all useless garbage of course. Total PITA to deal with.
    05-22-10 08:53 PM
    I have yet to understand why this gives people agita. Every week it seems someone
    is crying about a bunch of goofy icons that (a) take up very little space, (b) are
    easily hidden, and (c) par for the course with EVERY carrier.

I really wished I lived a life where this type of thing was the most upsetting part
    of my day.
    05-22-10 09:05 PM
    But you definitely DO have a choice. Come on, now!

You don't have to get the service to begin with. It's a CHOICE.

I may not like it either (Although I would disagree that it's a PITA. To me, it's no big deal to hide the icons.), but people are misinformed when they come in here raising a big stink that "the carrier is doing it without my consent".

You ALREADY gave your consent.

And as to the "why even bother" question, the carriers typically have entered into multi-million dollar agreements to push those launchers to the devices. So it must be worth it to them.
    05-22-10 09:05 PM

I was wondering, can your service provider just push applications to your phone like that?

Yep, they most certainly can. It is annoying, just hide the icon and move on.
    05-23-10 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD