I feel the BBM waiting list did more to hurt BBRY's image than help it in the eyes of the majority of Android and iOS users. I understand where Chris U is coming from (I've read the book he mentions in the article several times), but when you look at BBRY's track record these past few years which is painted in such a negative connotation in most people's minds (I'll give you my real life personal experience with friends, keep reading), it does NOT make sense to have a waiting list when one of the biggest, if not THE biggest criticism for BBRY lately has been WAITING.

It is not smart for BBRY to try and use a WAITING list to create more demand for BBM when BBRY's image is generally negative largely in part due to people constantly WAITING for BBRY to bring something to market.

For the masses - soccer moms, busy parents, working joe/jane, grandma, tom the plumber, etc - they don't want a waiting line. They want to be able to download an app that works upon installation, just like the dozens, hundreds, and possibly thousands of other apps (free apps included) they've downloaded before. This is most likely the first and only time they have downloaded an app (from a supposed "big company") and not been able to use - that is sending the WRONG message. It has nothing to do with instant-gratification or self entitlement; when someone downloads an app/software or attempts to use a service, it either works or it doesn't, and there is nothing wrong with expressing frustration for that.

What will be seen in the eyes of consumers who have been burned by BBRY before is that this "waiting list" is just a slick move by BBRY to "launch" an app and make the month long delay short. It'll be seen by them as another trick op BBRY's sleeve of ambiguity to cover up their inability to get something right.

In the eyes of the iPhone/Android user, who many of which think BlackBerry has either already gone out of business or will eventually go out of business, this just further enforces the notion that BlackBerry is an old, aging (dying) company.

Of the 1,000+ FaceBook friends I sent invitations to use BBM, I got back a little less than 100 replies, Most of which were summed up as "Downloaded app, doesn't work... Just contact me on GroupMe/WhatsApp/Kik..." Some replies were along the likes of, "BlackBerry is still in business?" Mind you, only 1 other person I know of (both in "real life" and on FB) have a BB10/7 device, and that's my GF's work phone. With that being said, I did not get back a single reply saying they were going to use the app; nor did any single response show any positive interest in BBM; and surely nothing along the likes of "I can't wait to BBM with you!!!"

What I'm trying to say is that the odds are already HEAVILY against BBRY. Any little thing that can be seen as a negative, will be, perhaps not by us CB enthusiasts, but by the AVERAGE MASSES. And THOSE people are the ones BBRY is trying to win over or win back; but a waiting list is just making the ones who left BBRY feel validated and glad they did; and for the ones who never had BBRY, this is just reinforcing BBRY's image of "old and dying; going out of business".

I've converted 8 people this morning from my Whatsapp contacts. I imagine that number will continue to climb...for me anyway.
    That's great.

I do believe BBM will eventually take the market over.

I'm just disagreeing with Chris Umi's opinion on whether or not a waiting list was used as a tool to persuade people.

I'll edit my OP to reflect this.
    Last edited by JR A; 10-22-13 at 11:44 AM.
    kkriska and Dave79 like this.
    10-22-13 11:31 AM
    I've converted 8 people this morning from my Whatsapp contacts. I imagine that number will continue to climb...for me anyway.
    10-22-13 11:35 AM
    That's great.

I do believe BBM will eventually take the market over.

I'm just disagreeing with Chris Umi's opinion on whether or not a waiting list was used as a tool to persuade people.

I'll edit my OP to reflect this.
    bekkay likes this.
    10-22-13 11:38 AM
    BlackBerry has perfected this tactic. Remember the 60-day promise, which turned to end of summer, then end of year, then February the following year for PIM apps on the Playbook?.

Same with the BB10 launch and BBM.

BlackBerry - building suspense for many years (TM)

Anyway, OP, can't you see it's working? Delays and waiting games help BBRY flourish.
    10-22-13 11:44 AM
    BlackBerry has perfected this tactic. Remember the 60-day promise, which turned to end of summer, then end of year, then February for PIM apps on the Playbook?.

Same with the BB10 launch and BBM.

BlackBerry - building suspense for many years (TM)
    LOL

I guess you summed it up a lot more brief and concise than I did. It's pretty much the gist of what I was trying to say...
    10-22-13 11:46 AM
    Define 'converted'?

I bet your people are still and will still use whatsapp regardless of what you get them to install.
    10-22-13 12:06 PM
    Define 'converted'?

I bet your people are still and will still use whatsapp regardless of what you get them to install.
    Good point.

The real gauge of a successful convert is how many people he or she converts.
    10-22-13 12:09 PM
    I'm not sure the waiting game will slow down BBM's momentum. They botched the first launch and still millions came back to download it. Even the notoriously friendly forum to BBRY, BGR, posted about it's initial success this morning: BBM iPhone Android Downloads: 5 million in 8 hours, No.1 iOS app | BGR

10:05 AM -- It took forever to launch — and some of the people who downloaded still can’t even use it — but BlackBerry’s BBM for Android and BBM for iPhone apps are finally here. What’s more, the new app is shockingly popular. BlackBerry fiiiiinally released its highly anticipated BBM cross-platform messaging app for Android and the iPhone on Monday and in less than 8 hours, the company announced on Twitter that the app had been activated for more than 5 million users.

Not too shabby...

This first wave I believe to be a combination of former BBRY users along with people who have heard of BBM explorers. The next few months will be all organic growth. Time will tell if BBM -- the original mobile instant messenger -- reclaims its rightful place as King of IM.
    irweezyy likes this.
    10-22-13 12:12 PM
    I don't want people to think I'm making excuses cause I can see the argument you're making but I lean more towards I think it was a necessary evil for them. I think had bbm just crumbled under all the pressure of this cross platform launch, it would've caused more harm than this waiting line. I think/hope giving it a little time of being at the top of the IOS and Goggle play charts will spark more interest among people. Time will tell

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 12:20 PM
    Define 'converted'?

It's a bet you'd win and I wouldn't bet against. I didn't ask them to do anything with Whatsapp. I informed them that BBM for Android and iOS is ready for download. For those that didn't pre-register prior I supplied my registration email so to avoid the line. That's what friends are for after all.

Those same buds also use Viber, Kik, iMessenger, etc (one guy is still uses SMS because he hasn't updated his iPhone since iOS4 ) Why would I ask them to change or stop using any communication tool? What would be the advantage to that?
    JR A and kbz1960 like this.
    10-22-13 12:22 PM
    It's a bet you'd win and I wouldn't bet against. I didn't ask them to do anything with Whatsapp. I informed them that BBM for Android and iOS is ready for download. For those that didn't pre-register prior I supplied my registration email so to avoid the line. That's what friends are for after all.

Those same buds also use Viber, Kik, iMessenger, etc (one guy is still uses SMS because he hasn't updated his iPhone since iOS4 ) Why would I ask them to change or stop using any communication tool? What would be the advantage to that?
    You said converted which generally means leave one thing for another. I think this is what they were asking.
    10-22-13 12:26 PM
    You said converted which generally means leave one thing for another. I think this is what they were asking.
    Poor choice on my part. To clarify, I'm not advocating to my friends on other platforms to abandon anything. To add to that, I believe BBM will grow, evolve and become a serious contender on its own merits.
    Last edited by Killington; 10-22-13 at 01:10 PM.
    JR A likes this.
    10-22-13 12:31 PM
    Waiting list actually makes users irritated about product,i phone mania is not present everywhere
    bekkay, oldtimeBBaddict and JR A like this.
    10-22-13 12:35 PM
    I feel the BBM waiting list did more to hurt BBRY's image than help it in the eyes of the majority of Android and iOS users. I understand where Chris U is coming from (I've read the book he mentions in the article several times), but when you look at BBRY's track record these past few years which is painted in such a negative connotation in most people's minds (I'll give you my real life personal experience with friends, keep reading), it does NOT make sense to have a waiting list when one of the biggest, if not THE biggest criticism for BBRY lately has been WAITING.

It is not smart for BBRY to try and use a WAITING list to create more demand for BBM when BBRY's image is generally negative largely in part due to people constantly WAITING for BBRY to bring something to market.

For the masses - soccer moms, busy parents, working joe/jane, grandma, tom the plumber, etc - they don't want a waiting line. They want to be able to download an app that works upon installation, just like the dozens, hundreds, and possibly thousands of other apps (free apps included) they've downloaded before. This is most likely the first and only time they have downloaded an app (from a supposed "big company") and not been able to use - that is sending the WRONG message. It has nothing to do with instant-gratification or self entitlement; when someone downloads an app/software or attempts to use a service, it either works or it doesn't, and there is nothing wrong with expressing frustration for that.

What will be seen in the eyes of consumers who have been burned by BBRY before is that this "waiting list" is just a slick move by BBRY to "launch" an app and make the month long delay short. It'll be seen by them as another trick op BBRY's sleeve of ambiguity to cover up their inability to get something right.

In the eyes of the iPhone/Android user, who many of which think BlackBerry has either already gone out of business or will eventually go out of business, this just further enforces the notion that BlackBerry is an old, aging (dying) company.

Of the 1,000+ FaceBook friends I sent invitations to use BBM, I got back a little less than 100 replies, Most of which were summed up as "Downloaded app, doesn't work... Just contact me on GroupMe/WhatsApp/Kik..." Some replies were along the likes of, "BlackBerry is still in business?" Mind you, only 1 other person I know of (both in "real life" and on FB) have a BB10/7 device, and that's my GF's work phone. With that being said, I did not get back a single reply saying they were going to use the app; nor did any single response show any positive interest in BBM; and surely nothing along the likes of "I can't wait to BBM with you!!!"

What I'm trying to say is that the odds are already HEAVILY against BBRY. Any little thing that can be seen as a negative, will be, perhaps not by us CB enthusiasts, but by the AVERAGE MASSES. And THOSE people are the ones BBRY is trying to win over or win back; but a waiting list is just making the ones who left BBRY feel validated and glad they did; and for the ones who never had BBRY, this is just reinforcing BBRY's image of "old and dying; going out of business".
    I know you have your point of view here and I respect, but i don't see in this way. You said this is the first time you downloaded an app and waited for use it. This is probably correct. But is also correct that this the probably the first time ever that 6 millions people registered for an app. And it's probably correct to that it's the first time 11 millions people downloaded the same app on less then 18 hours. And this number is much bigger because we know a lot people that are waiting on the line.

Also, I don't think the line up shows blackberry is old and dying company. Here's the thing: tell me the company that can absorb about 15 millions at the same time without face some problems or (what I think it's better) take some care of what may happen? This is called strategy, and according to the circumstances, I think they did really well. That's my opinion only.

But, if you're a BlackBerry fan like I am, I think the best we can do now is enjoy BBM4ALL!

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Z10
    10-22-13 12:39 PM
    I'm not sure the waiting game will slow down BBM's momentum. They botched the first launch and still millions came back to download it. Even the notoriously friendly forum to BBRY, BGR, posted about it's initial success this morning: BBM iPhone Android Downloads: 5 million in 8 hours, No.1 iOS app | BGR

10:05 AM -- It took forever to launch — and some of the people who downloaded still can’t even use it — but BlackBerry’s BBM for Android and BBM for iPhone apps are finally here. What’s more, the new app is shockingly popular. BlackBerry fiiiiinally released its highly anticipated BBM cross-platform messaging app for Android and the iPhone on Monday and in less than 8 hours, the company announced on Twitter that the app had been activated for more than 5 million users.

Not too shabby...

This first wave I believe to be a combination of former BBRY users along with people who have heard of BBM explorers. The next few months will be all organic growth. Time will tell if BBM -- the original mobile instant messenger -- reclaims its rightful place as King of IM.
    Just imagine how much more installs they would've gotten if people were able to use the app once they downloaded it; it would definitely give people more incentive to get their friends/family on it.

But again, I do see BBM becoming the go to cross platform messenger. I just disagree with Chris U's stance on using a waiting list to create more demand.
    Killington likes this.
    10-22-13 12:42 PM
    10-22-13 12:52 PM
    I don't understand it at all. It has left a bad taste in my mouth for BlackBerry yet again.

I've been waiting over 22 hours for my welcome email. Much longer and I'll probably just delete it and stay with Hangouts and WhatsApp.

I sent an invite to a few friends to download it, and their response was basically "dude, just use WhatsApp like everybody else. I don't want to run 2 or 3 different texting apps at the same time. Besides, who the hell am I gonna talk to on BBM? Nobody I know uses it."

Sigh. BBM was just tooooo late to the party, it seems. That ship has sailed. I just don't see users trying to convince 20 or 30 of their friends to all switch to yet ANOTHER texting app when what they are using is working well, has more features (like voice and video calling) AND all their friends are already using it.
    10-22-13 01:25 PM
    I don't understand it at all. It has left a bad taste in my mouth for BlackBerry yet again.

I've been waiting over 22 hours for my welcome email. Much longer and I'll probably just delete it and stay with Hangouts and WhatsApp.
    Try this:
    How to avoid waiting for BBM on Android and iOS | How To - CNET
    neoberry99 likes this.
    10-22-13 01:39 PM

I sent an invite to a few friends to download it, and their response was basically "dude, just use WhatsApp like everybody else. I don't want to run 2 or 3 different texting apps at the same time. Besides, who the hell am I gonna talk to on BBM? Nobody I know uses it."

Sigh. BBM was just tooooo late to the party, it seems. That ship has sailed. I just don't see users trying to convince 20 or 30 of their friends to all switch to yet ANOTHER texting app when what they are using is working well, has more features (like voice and video calling) AND all their friends are already using it.
    Business is about timing. WhatsApp enjoyed it because it was one of the first players to go cross platform. But, business is about quality too. I deleted my WhatsApp because it was too slow, the message was not delivered sometimes, I didn't know when my friends had read it and I was forced to have some undesirable people in my list. All this makes difference to me. But, may be not for you and some of your friends. The point here is that they finally launched the app and now only time will tell the future of BBM.

10-22-13 01:42 PM
    It is getting REALLY annoying how people complain and spew doom and gloom all the time for BBRY, and when something positive happens...they just spin it to be negative and continue to spout out more doom and gloom.
    diogoteixeira87 and ibpluto like this.
    10-22-13 01:44 PM
    The decision to have a wait list is probably entirely based on technicalities. The only thing we can do is wait and see the outcome of cross BBM. I understand people would be frustrated to wait to use an app.

For those that don't see the point to installing another IM app, just ignore it and move on. I don't get why people take everything BlackBerry does so personally.
    Justam likes this.
    10-22-13 01:50 PM
    The decision to have a wait list is probably entirely based on technicalities. The only thing we can do is wait and see the outcome of cross BBM. I understand people would be frustrated to wait to use an app.

For those that don't see the point to installing another IM app, just ignore it and move on. I don't get why people take everything BlackBerry does so personally.
    Clever comment! If you want to use Whatsapp, imessage, hangouts, we chat, morse code or smoke signals, I really don't care. What matters to me is use the best IM app out there and the one I enjoy the most. And that is BBM.

Killington likes this.
    10-22-13 02:23 PM
    Poor choice on my part. To clarify, I'm not advocating to my friends on other platforms to abandon anything. To add to that, I believe BBM will grow, evolve and become a serious contender on its own merits.
    Understood. We will have to see if BBM really takes off. It has the potential but its not like there's not stiff competition on other, more stable, platforms. Only time will tell.
    Killington likes this.
    10-22-13 03:05 PM
    It is getting REALLY annoying how people complain and spew doom and gloom all the time for BBRY, and when something positive happens...they just spin it to be negative and continue to spout out more doom and gloom.
    I think the doom and gloom is directly connected to Blackberry's performance over the last few years, which has been less than stellar. Its not like people are making this stuff up.
    JR A likes this.
    10-22-13 03:08 PM
    Hey OP, don't look now, but 10 million DL's in 24 hours. Maybe Chris has valid points in his blog post afterall (For the record I agree with what he wrote)

Haters gonna hate, but to them I say FU! 10 Million FU's in your face as a matter of fact. Give it 6 months. BBM will be the go to IM platform globally.
    10-22-13 03:14 PM
57 123