I typically do not like to get into the Apple vs. RIM threads but after watching Apple the past two years this thought has to be running through their little apple cores.

IPad Mini is rumored to be released this fall. The new IPhone 5 is coming out within days. They already have a good product out in the full size IPad. Along with many other new or redone electronic goodies.

I have no doubt that if/when the IPad Mini comes to the market place it will sell well. We already know the new IPhone is doing well. If Apple hits that sweet spot of $299 on the MIni they will peddle a boat load of these things.

What if Apple were able to produce a "Bridge" like product that would link all these Apple goodies together. Internet sharing connection, email and all. Music sharing, doc sharing etc..

What if they than started to put on a full court press on getting the enterprise end of things from RIM.

This possibility on its own is trouble.

Add to that if RIM were to sue Apple over the “Bridge” function. (if they have ground to stand on)
    With the cash that Apple has vs. the cash that RIM does not have, so far.

Ouch!

In the end would Apple be so Bold as to offer a buy out of RIM? In return Apple drops the law suite?

I know, its a big reach of logic (SWAG), but it is something that rings true to me.

Lets hope RIM is think tanking this a bunch. They need to look at this launch and the years after as a rebirth within the BB family.
    That this is not about a single phone. It’s about seeing if RIM can plan and execute. To bring to the market products
    that bring new and exciting things. That solidifies its current base and draws in MANY new customers.

RIM has a lead in the enterprise area right now. They have a solution for going from the current system to BB10 (I hate that name), but it will be costly for the users. (and a pain in the a$$) Apple could snatch that away if they had the product.

If Apple did all this and got its way, this would be a winning hand for them. A solid one that Droid would have a tough time
    getting into due to its open source OS. At least the enterprise end of things could/would be this way.

Will RIM be assimilated?
    Is resistance futile?

To counter this, RIM needs to get their phones ready for prime time. Get them to market at a good price point.
    Refresh the Playbook performance wise and styling wise. (starting to look a little dated)
    Push the Bridge aspect of the BBPhone and the PBPad. Make it known RIM had it first and best.

The enterprise group need some freebies to get them on board. Kissing backside time for RIM. They have made tons of money
    off the enterprise folks. Time to give some back. To make it painless and in fact a pleasure to keep or add RIM products.

Keep RIMs feet to the fire. Do not let them breath until they produce and do well. They can not base all their hope on a couple of phones in Q1 2013. They need to produce through out the next 5 years to gain back even a part of their market share and earnings. Hitting the mark every time.

And so it goes...

Tim

**this is not a troll post but as real concern for those of us that use RIM products
    and sort of like them. (even though they pi$$ a person off more times then not)
    09-18-12 11:05 AM
    What if Apple were able to produce a "Bridge" like product that would link all these Apple goodies together. Internet sharing connection, email and all. Music sharing, doc sharing etc..
    iOS seems to have no interest in that function, neither does android or WP8 - each treats the device as simply the conduit for services located in the cloud - the idea of devices syncing in the way you are describing does not seem to be on the cards. Is bridge (beyond data connection sharing which already exists on other platforms) even going to exist in the BB10 world - where each device is unique rather than having a model where the playbook is effectively an extension of the PIN account on the blackberry phone (if that makes sense).

What if they than started to put on a full court press on getting the enterprise end of things from RIM.
    That seems to happening organically anyway.

Add to that if RIM were to sue Apple over the “Bridge” function. (if they have ground to stand on)
    With the cash that Apple has vs. the cash that RIM does not have, so far.
    They will never add it to start with so that's unlikely scenario.

Push the Bridge aspect of the BBPhone and the PBPad.
    When a feature is valued in the market you can measure that by the price that consumers are willing to pay for it, if you need to reduce pricing quickly, then the feature is not valued - playbooks were reduced in price significantly and then written off.

Where is the evidence that bridge has any value outside of hardcore BB users?
    09-18-12 11:15 AM

I have no doubt that if/when the IPad Mini comes to the market place it will sell well. We already know the new IPhone is doing well. If Apple hits that sweet spot of $299 on the MIni they will peddle a boat load of these things.[/SIZE]
    I think most people now agree that the iPad Mini will not cost $299. The release of the new iPod Touch at the $299 price point makes it difficult to sell what is basically a bigger iPod Touch for the same price. That's not to say it won't happen of course. The 5th generation iPod Touch starts at 32GB, it's possible they'll sell a 16GB version for $299. Most likely scenario? They'll sell the iPad Mini for $349, or even $399.
    09-18-12 11:21 AM
    I think much of this post is far fetched. I also think you spend a lot ofyour time in these forums trying to stir up controversy and this post/thread is no exception.

We can postulate scenarios all day long, but in the end, the only thing that really counts is what actually happens.

If RIM doesn't already have the challenges to them in the forefront of their thinking, there's not a whole lot we can do about it is there? I'm not sure that Apple spends any time at all trying to figure out how to obliterate RIM. I think Apple is far more invested in following Steve Jobs' legacy of wanting to destroy Android.

Otherwise, since you seem to think you have all the answers, perhaps you should apply to RIM for a job. They obviously need you.

Me? I'll wait to see what happens, while enjoying my PB and my Torch ... until I can replace said Torch with a BB10 N.
    undone likes this.
    09-18-12 11:22 AM
    I think much of this post is far fetched. I also think you spend a lot ofyour time in these forums trying to stir up controversy and this post/thread is no exception.

We can postulate scenarios all day long, but in the end, the only thing that really counts is what actually happens.

If RIM doesn't already have the challenges to them in the forefront of their thinking, there's not a whole lot we can do about it is there? I'm not sure that Apple spends any time at all trying to figure out how to obliterate RIM. I think Apple is far more invested in following Steve Jobs' legacy of wanting to destroy Android.

Otherwise, since you seem to think you have all the answers, perhaps you should apply to RIM for a job. They obviously need you.

Me? I'll wait to see what happens, while enjoying my PB and my Torch ... until I can replace said Torch with a BB10 N.

Sorry for provoking thought and discussion. Please feel free to ignore my posts.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-18-12 11:34 AM
    No rest for the weary in the 101st Chairborne Division.
    hpjrt, cgk and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-18-12 11:38 AM
    Sorry for provoking thought and discussion. Please feel free to ignore my posts.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Provoke away it truly would be imo a disastrous scenario if somthing like that however unlikely to happen I will start using carrier pigeons.
    I live in the big apple that's enough for me.
    Don't want one don't need one.
    09-18-12 11:55 AM
    I've served with many brave soldiers in the 101st Chairborne Division, in the last OS wars I was with the 102th Light Laptop Division. I was wounded going over the top in an engagement exploring the question of how many million of devices the HP Veer phone was going to sell.
    09-18-12 12:02 PM
    What if everyone went back to landlines, then both companies would be in trouble.

Discuss...
    esk369, hpjrt and Prince_Poppycock like this.
    09-18-12 12:08 PM
    Apple almost certainly won't be adopting a "bridge"-type feature, since they seem pretty keen on just getting everybody to use iCloud. They'll probably just keep developing the cloud side of things.

That said, even if Apple just straight-up stole everything about RIM's bridge feature (and I mean everything), the cost of defending a lawsuit or paying a settlement or license is utterly inconsequential to Apple with how much money they have. They could also just tie RIM up in litigation forever. And sure, if RIM develops some feature that Apple really, really wants they could just buy the whole shebang.

And I agree that the iPad Mini probably will not be $300. I'm guessing it'll be $400 and Apple will discontinue the iPad 2.
    09-18-12 12:08 PM
    Just letting you know that I am stealing this. Best post of the day.
    09-18-12 12:22 PM
    Just letting you know that I am stealing this. Best post of the day.
    Rats! I was going to steal it!.
    09-18-12 02:08 PM
    Apple almost certainly won't be adopting a "bridge"-type feature, since they seem pretty keen on just getting everybody to use iCloud. They'll probably just keep developing the cloud side of things.

That said, even if Apple just straight-up stole everything about RIM's bridge feature (and I mean everything), the cost of defending a lawsuit or paying a settlement or license is utterly inconsequential to Apple with how much money they have. They could also just tie RIM up in litigation forever. And sure, if RIM develops some feature that Apple really, really wants they could just buy the whole shebang.

And I agree that the iPad Mini probably will not be $300. I'm guessing it'll be $400 and Apple will discontinue the iPad 2.
    Some think otherwise.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...nction-738061/
    09-18-12 02:23 PM
    I typically do not like to get into the Apple vs. RIM threads...
    I generally don't either, because IMO there is no Apple vs. RIM. Apple probably doensn't even know RIM exists anymore. They're on an entirely different plane of existence, with product diversification well beyond cell phones. Thus, IMO, such comparisons are beyond futile.
    09-18-12 02:58 PM
    This Borg drone should have resisted reading this thread.
    Resistance IS Futile.
    Just like it looks as if Apple couldn't resist some of the features RIM provides.
    But until features become reality, it's all speculation. And who says if Apple does come out with some sort of bridge feature, it would be successful? Perfect example: iMessage.
    Another issue, carriers. AT&T blocked BBBridge. And with iDevice using up lots of data, it adds up to lots of cash for carriers. They wouldn't be happy.
    That's just our two cents.
    trsbbs and TheScionicMan like this.
    09-18-12 03:09 PM
    I think Jean-Luc Picard would disagree.
    09-18-12 03:23 PM
    I think Jean-Luc Picard would disagree.
    You mean Locutus. Lol
    Majestic Lion likes this.
    09-18-12 04:26 PM
    All your base are belong to us...
    john_v likes this.
    09-18-12 04:41 PM
    LOL!

The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!
    09-18-12 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD