Wouldn't it be nice if all Blackberries had a reset button? Obvious QWERTY BBs can reset with a key combo, but it would be nice not to have to ever worry about taking off a battery door to reset.

Hey, I'll even take a certain physical button key combo (common to all BBs) as a reset button. How about ESC+Mute+Power = Reset?

Sure as heck wouldn't be too hard to code into the OS. What do you others think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dare4more and howarmat like this.
    07-27-09 09:18 PM
    I personally think it would be cool if you held the power/End button in for a few seconds, and instead of shutting off the device like it currently does, a menu would pop up, sort of like in Windows. Shut Down, Restart, and Lock Device could be the options.
    07-27-09 09:41 PM
    I think it would be cool if Alt+RightShift+Del would reboot the phone. Oh, wait� it already does :-)

dare4more likes this.
    07-27-09 09:57 PM
    I think it would be cool if Alt+RightShift+Del would reboot the phone. Oh, wait� it already does :-)

I think it would be cool if you'd read the OP before you try to be cool with a smart post, but fail miserably.

07-27-09 10:05 PM
    I think it would be cool if you'd read the OP before you try to be cool with a smart post, but fail miserably.

PWNED!!!!!!
    07-27-09 10:18 PM
    Given how many times my berry has hard-locked on me, I'd almost rather a hardware reset button somewhere... maybe something you'd need a straightened paper clip to fit in the hole to hit the reset button or something.
    07-27-09 10:23 PM
    Given how many times my berry has hard-locked on me, I'd almost rather a hardware reset button somewhere... maybe something you'd need a straightened paper clip to fit in the hole to hit the reset button or something.
    Agreed, but in the inteRIM they could at least throw in some code to do this button combo without any hardware change costs.

07-27-09 11:31 PM
    Hey, I'll even take a certain physical button key combo (common to all BBs) as a reset button. How about ESC+Mute+Power = Reset?
    As JBeachy already pointed out, Alt+RightShift+Del does reset the phone. Do you want a different combination?

(I'm confused.)
    07-28-09 07:13 AM
    I agree with Civic, the non-keyboard toting Storm owners are left with only a battery pull, no easy way to reboot the STORM maybe that will clear up some confusion. Also even if you have a combo key why those keys and not change it to something that is generic to all Blackberry Devices.
    07-28-09 07:52 AM
    As JBeachy already pointed out, Alt+RightShift+Del does reset the phone. Do you want a different combination?

(I'm confused.)
    Take the blinders off people!!!

Pearl, Storm, etc. (all non-physical QWERTY BBs) cannot do that buttom combo to reset. Why is that so hard to realize... and to top it off, I even indicated this in the OP. Sheesh...
    07-28-09 08:17 AM
    I'm all for a single button reset somewhere but hate those paper clip nightmares. Seems every time I need to reset one of those I scan around for a suitable weapon and rarely have a paper clip... and if I do then I have to destroy one to do the task. The OCD in me forces me to then try and "fix" it when I'm done... never satisfied.

Maybe a slightly recessed button that wouldn't be hit by accident...?
    07-28-09 08:41 AM
    Pearl, Storm, etc. (all non-physical QWERTY BBs) cannot do that button combo to reset.
    Right. It would be nice if there was a quick way of doing this on the Pearl.
    07-28-09 08:54 AM
    There is some kind of combo for the storm...but i don't remember it. I'll ask the guy that told me and get back to you.
    07-28-09 08:56 AM
    well this is what i got from my buddy with a storm.

There is no combo, that's one of the faults of the Storm. You need to get Quickpull or softreset. OR actually pull out the battery.
    sorry i totally thought the storm has some kind of reset/hard reset.
    07-28-09 09:37 AM
    I'm all for a single button reset somewhere but hate those paper clip nightmares. Seems every time I need to reset one of those I scan around for a suitable weapon and rarely have a paper clip... and if I do then I have to destroy one to do the task. The OCD in me forces me to then try and "fix" it when I'm done... never satisfied.

Maybe a slightly recessed button that wouldn't be hit by accident...?
    I carry this with me at all times
    Swiss Army CyberTool 34
    among its many tools (although not shown in the picture) is a really small screwdriver, which is useful for hitting reset/eject buttons.
    07-28-09 09:53 AM
    Take the blinders off people!!!

Pearl, Storm, etc. (all non-physical QWERTY BBs) cannot do that buttom combo to reset. Why is that so hard to realize... and to top it off, I even indicated this in the OP. Sheesh...
    Before you go off on other people, make sure your original statements are complete. You did not specify that you were talking about a Pearl or a Storm. I assumed (it appears that someone else did too) that you were talking about BBs in general and not a specific model.
    07-28-09 10:57 AM
    Before you go off on other people, make sure your original statements are complete. You did not specify that you were talking about a Pearl or a Storm. I assumed (it appears that someone else did too) that you were talking about BBs in general and not a specific model.
    It would appear that the OP was talking about BB's in general, with a distinct specialization on non-QWERTY keyboard ones. The op seemed to have stated that while QWERTY keyboarded BB's have the option to do a button configuration hard reset, the non-QWERTY ones do not. The OP also stated that it would be wise to add a hard reset sequence that would be the same for all BB's. IMO it would be a great addition, so when a person comes to this forum and asks how to do a hard reset, people would no longer need to check which device they are running, a simple keystroke across all BB's would work for them.
    07-28-09 11:14 AM
    What about this: download Quickpull & then set it to a convenience key. this wouldn't work if the device were completely frozen of course; but it would work for those times when its about to freeze up & you get that lag but its still partially functional.
    Its worth a shot.

07-28-09 11:15 AM
    Be cause she ISN'T talking about JUST a Storm or a Pearl. REread Civic's post. She clearly stats she knows there is a keyboard shortcut for Qwerty BlackBerry Smartphones.

She is stating [correctly so] that there should be a reset button, or barring that, a reset combo that is universal to All BlackBerry Smartphones. Qwerty, Suretype AND touchscreen.

As civic says it(Universal reset combo) could be easily done via OS code so it makes me wonder if RIM could slip it in, intime for 5.0 release.
    07-28-09 11:28 AM
    What about this: download Quickpull & then set it to a convenience key. this wouldn't work if the device were completely frozen of course; but it would work for those times when its about to freeze up & you get that lag but its still partially functional.
    Its worth a shot.

No good, that's not what we need. We need something on non-QWERTY BBs that equivalent to that of ALT+RSHIFT+DEL is on QWERTY BBs. My suggestion poses a 3 physical button keypress which would be picked up and registred in the same manner as the full keyboard 3 finger salute. It's nothing magical, just something that RIM needs to implement ASAP... it would help A LOT of people. (especially ones with covers on their devices) I just think RIM likes to sell a lot of replacement battery doors so they won't do this.

Oh and thanks to everyone who came through with the reading comprehension skills on the OP.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 07-28-09 at 01:47 PM.
    07-28-09 01:45 PM
    I personally think it would be cool if you held the power/End button in for a few seconds, and instead of shutting off the device like it currently does, a menu would pop up, sort of like in Windows. Shut Down, Restart, and Lock Device could be the options.
    That sounds like a real good idea...

07-28-09 04:18 PM
    The heck with a dedicated reset button. Just have it be an option in the app switcher.
    07-28-09 08:09 PM
    To clarify for a few folks, the ALT-SHIFT-DEL combo is NOT a hard reset. It does not accomplish everything that a battery pull does. The only way to do a hard reset is with the battery pull. RIM distinguishes between the two methods on their web site.

07-28-09 10:15 PM
    PWNED!!!!!!
    HaHa.. sorry when i saw PWNED had to do it. lol

07-28-09 11:41 PM
    I think it would be great for us storm users. my latches are gonna need a tune up after 2000 pulls.
    07-29-09 03:06 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD