** Is it worrying that BB doesn't even get a mention in the following report on the global phone market?? **

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Nokia has been bumped off its 14-year top spot as the world's largest cellphone company by Samsung, according to a British research firm.

Gartner said Wednesday that Samsung Electronics Co. sold 86.6 million cellphones in the first quarter, inching past Nokia Corp's sales of just over 83 million units.

Apple Inc. sold 33 million iPhones, with a global market share of some 8 percent.

Last month Boston-based Strategy Analytics said Samsung had overtaken struggling Nokia as the world's largest seller of cellphones by volume in the first quarter, grabbing a 25 percent global market share against Nokia's 22 percent.

Both agencies have rated Nokia in third place in terms of smartphone sales behind Samsung and the iPhone.
    05-16-12 08:29 AM
    Good article. Keep in mind RIM only sells Smartphones they have no chance in this race so they are not even worth mentioning. Some places might have 50 million cell phone users and out of those only 10 million have smartphones and the rest dumbphones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-16-12 09:30 AM
    Samsung has some *really* dirt cheap phones out on the market. I recently picked up one for €9 brand new as an emergency backup, completely unlocked and sim-free. I'd find it hard to find a Nokia near that price point right now.
    05-16-12 09:48 AM
    Good article. Keep in mind RIM only sells Smartphones they have no chance in this race so they are not even worth mentioning. Some places might have 50 million cell phone users and out of those only 10 million have smartphones and the rest dumbphones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    So those 33 million iPhones are.....what? Last I checked Apple doesn't sell dumbphones either.
    05-17-12 02:45 AM
    i wonder who makes those phones you buy from vending machines at airports?
    05-17-12 05:05 AM
    Nokia will be dead/bought before RIM. The WP7 isn't taking off fast at all. They won't release Meego sales numbers because it would show they sold more Meego phones than WP7 devices. They are losing $1.5 billion a quarter. They went from the burning platform to the smoldering one. Apparently the board is very restless now too.
    05-17-12 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD