If i would replace my Priv through a silver KeyOne: How long would I receive security updates ?
    01-20-18 03:31 PM
    No idea, but if we're taking the Priv as precedent, then software updates last for two years from initial release anywhere: April 2019.
    01-20-18 03:34 PM
    No idea, but if we're taking the Priv as precedent, then software updates last for two years from initial release anywhere: April 2019.
    Thank you! 599,00 EUR for 14 month of security after the desaster with BlackBerry Priv ? Does BlackBerry Mobile believe in this strategy ? I won't get fooled again.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 01-20-18 at 04:19 PM.
    01-20-18 03:37 PM
    If security updates are a MUST to you, your only choice is Pixel, which will give you 3 years and more OS updates too.
    01-20-18 04:28 PM
    If security updates are a MUST to you, your only choice is Pixel, which will give you 3 years and more OS updates too.
    It IS a must because if I buy "the worldwide most secure android device" the security updates MUST be included -for more than 24 month from the launch.
    01-20-18 04:31 PM
    They don't need to.

And honestly, for an average user, there is no difference...
    01-20-18 04:33 PM
    2 years of monthly security updates is better than literally all other phones with the exception of Pixel and iPhone. just the way of the world, like it or not. Most security issues cam be avoided with smart usage of your phone anyways.
    01-20-18 05:07 PM
    2 years of monthly security updates is better than literally all other phones with the exception of Pixel and iPhone. just the way of the world, like it or not. Most security issues cam be avoided with smart usage of your phone anyways.
    Google, Essential, and even Samsung through their Enterprise Edition program are offering at least three years of updates, I'm sure we'll see even more OEM's follow this year.

Given the higher cost, it would have been nice to see BlackBerry devices leading this change like they did for timely monthly updates among third party OEM's.
    01-20-18 07:19 PM
    An important note about the Pixel, from Google's info page:

Pixel phones get security updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store, or at least 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device, whichever is longer. After that, we can't guarantee more updates.
    Given how slow of a burn the release process is for any BB Android device, the lack of that "X months from first sale or Y months from last sale, whichever is longer" caveat is an important one; if the KEYone gets the plug pulled in April 2019 (24 months after first release) that might not even be 12 months after the bronze model, or not even 18 months after the various black editions.
    01-20-18 10:54 PM
    If i would replace my Priv through a silver KeyOne: How long would I receive security updates ?
    Rather wait for what is coming this year.

That said if you NEED to upgrade now, I would avoid the Silver KeyOne with its paltry 3GB RAM and rather get the Black Edition with 4GB RAM.
    01-21-18 02:17 AM
    I too wish that BlackBerry were leading the charge here with security updates. I especially like the thought of 18 months of security updates from the last time that the phone was sold. It would be very had to stomach buying a Priv, only to find out that support was ending and that you were essentially only going to get a few months of updates before they stop.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-21-18 11:47 PM
    BBMo is an experment by BlackBerry and TCL.

In the end updates depend on the experiment succeeding. BBMo has stated a number of times that everything is going better than expected.... without giving any backup data. Unfortunately TCL Communications itself is in some finical trouble.

At this point words or statements mean very little, updates will ultimately depend on success...
    01-22-18 08:03 AM
    Even without the monthly updates, BlackBerry Android phones are more secure than regular Android, probably even Pixel. Has the Priv been rooted yet? It hasn't received an update since November.
    01-25-18 09:10 AM