So I got a Bold 9700 off eBay for a decent price, but as you'd expect from a used phone, it's not in perfect condition. So I got some some white housing for a few quid and plan to fit that instead.

It is NOT a kit which includes a whole new chasis. It is just the front face, keyboard, and battery cover.

I just wanted to ask, before I dive in, is it safe? I will only be replacing the front cover, keyboard, and battery door. I will not be doing anything to the actual chasis of the phone.

I'd have thought a simple cosmetic mod would be simple, and it is really, but I read some comments about peoples' BlackBerries not being able to get signal after a housing change which scared me. However, I'm not sure if they were trying to replace the whole chasis (I assume so).

Thanks in advance
    10-04-11 08:44 AM
    It's a simple task sure, but I swear after every phone I've swapped parts out on it has never been the same. I've done it on quite a few devices and I always end up with shaky/loose parts, gaps, rattles or something. So IMHO I'd refrain from changing anything up, but if you are adventurous then it's totally up to you
    10-04-11 09:18 AM
    Search the forums for threads on the topic. Lots of info. Many have had success and some have had some problems. Look around and you'll find stories. Good luck with whatever you decide!
    10-04-11 09:24 AM
    It's a simple task sure, but I swear after every phone I've swapped parts out on it has never been the same. I've done it on quite a few devices and I always end up with shaky/loose parts, gaps, rattles or something. So IMHO I'd refrain from changing anything up, but if you are adventurous then it's totally up to you
    My stock housing has rattles anyway (the piece below the keypad is loose). As long as I won't damage the actual internals of the phone (and, seeing as I'm not doing a proper disassembly, I don't see how I could), I'm fine with less than 100% perfection.
    10-04-11 09:40 AM
    It is safe I have done it several times to different BlackBerrys. Just make sure you know what you are doing watch videos on youtube before you try.
    10-04-11 09:44 AM
    It is safe I have done it several times to different BlackBerrys. Just make sure you know what you are doing watch videos on youtube before you try.
    Yeah I've watched the videos, they make it look way too easy to get the damn stock housing off though. I tried earlier today and the two top clips at either side of the screen were such a PITA I decided to give up and try later. That's when I read posts about people damaging stuff and got worried.

I just did a bit of searching around the forums and it seems the only people who've screwed their phones up were people who changed the middle plate/chassis bit. I'm only doing the external case so I should be good anyway
    10-04-11 09:52 AM
    Right, just did it and here's my results: the housing went on fine without much trouble, only issue was with buttons. The keyboard that came with my kit was basically useless. The keys were unresponsive and hard to press, plus it was too thick, which made it difficult to use the trackpad. The buttons on the top for locking and silencing the BlackBerry were also crap - they work, but they click loudly when you use them.

I currently have the white housing with the standard black keyboard fitted, and I think it looks quite cool like that, so that's how I'm keeping it for now, even if I do have to put up with a weird lock button. It's all unique
    10-04-11 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD