Okay,I'm in the process of getting Outlook set up since Google Sync will not be supported by Google on BlackBerry. Few questions.

1. What are the pros and cons of using Outlook over Google?
    2. How do I sync my BlackBerry with Outlook?

I managed to import my Gmail contacts into Outlook as well as my calendar. I also added holidays to my Outlook calendar. Yay.

3. Will Outlook ever support OTA sync with mobile devices?

Thanks.
    04-23-12 05:31 PM
    I'd like to know, too. I always liked that BlackBerry is integrated with Microsoft Outlook. Just gotta get myself to let a few moths escape from my wallet and buy the program.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-23-12 06:05 PM
    Hi Chrisy520! Speaking strictly from a lifetime Outlook user, I can't imagine anything else working as well. Outlook has better options with regards to emails, calendars and contacts, as well as allowing you to set up conference calls or meetings and then sending out the invitation to your participants along with information for the meeting directly from your calendar. Outlook works with almost all other business programs and is by far the cleanest email program out there. It furthermore syncs flawlessly with your BB device, and allows for both pop3 and imap set ups. It has within it, not only the email/calendar/contact folders but also has Tasks, Notes (memo) and journal folders which you can move to your media card or device if you wish. It runs on the MS word program protocol and allows you to use not only plain text, but also, rich text, and html text. You can set up your signature and stationary and everything is held in your server or computer as opposed to cyber space.
    I'm not sure about the OTA syncing with Outlook, someone else will have to answer that.
    As for syncing, it sounds like you already are syncing when you speak of importing. If not I'm not sure how you got the calendar and contacts over to outlook. Just make sure you have the configuration set up correctly (which way you want the info to go) and also I'd set your calendar options to "keep forever" or they will delete every 90 days. One other point that is important if you are looking at emails from different computers and handhelds, make sure and check the box in your email setup that says "LEAVE MESSAGE ON SERVER", or once you read it and/or delete it (or not in some cases), you will lose the ability to view it on the different computers--like, on your phone and in your office. For example you may receive and open/read an email on your phone, but need to go to the office to respond for some reason, if that box is not checked to leave on server, it will not be available to you on your computer. I get and read my emails on my phone and 3 different computers, depending where I am.
    Hope this helps and let us know how it goes. Good luck!
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-23-12 06:09 PM
    Thanks for the reply! Super helpful!
    I exported my contacts and calendar from my Gmail account, then imported them to Outlook. Was easy.

I'm looking forward to getting good to know Outlook more!
    guerllamo7 likes this.
    04-23-12 06:15 PM
    Does anyone use this app for Outlook sync to BlackBerry?

It's $60...

Syncamatic - Wirelessly Sync Your BlackBerry, Mac and PC.
    04-23-12 06:16 PM
    Never heard of it before but I am always guarded by an adv that's reviews are all good like the ones on the actual website! No app has 100% approval rating! Never seen one yet. Just like Outlook, I like it but I'm sure someone out there doesn't. I see its available on app world as well, so I'd look at it there and see what the user reviews are prior to purchasing it.
    04-23-12 06:30 PM
    check out "Office Accelerator Wireless Sync for BlackBerry" on App World as well. 5*'s on reviews. Monthly subscription though.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-23-12 06:34 PM
    This would be a very good subject for: Ask Mr. Blackberry. Particularly, how do you sync multiple Outlook calendars??
    04-23-12 06:38 PM
    Correction in earlier post. I meant go to "ORGANIZER" to config your syncing, not Applications. Sorry, though I'm sure you would have figured it out-LOL
    04-23-12 06:39 PM
    With the release of PlayBook OS2 I searched for a way to sync 2 Outlook calendars as well as 2 contact lists.

This is what I now do....

I have 2 Gmail accounts, personal & business for contacts and calendar. I use the personal Gmail for email as well.

I have the 2 Gmail accounts on my 9900 as well as my work email. The Gmail accounts are setup in BIS to sync contacts & calendars. This feature is NOT going away.

I also purchased Sync2 for a one time cost of $39.95. This allows me to sync the 2 calendars and contact list with my Outlook.

So my 9900, PlayBook and Outlook are all in sync and I never have to use Desktop Manager for anything other than to backup my 9900.

Sync Outlook and Google Calendar and Contacts. Sync2 - Synchronize Microsoft Outlook on multiple PCs without a server.
    04-23-12 06:47 PM
    Hopefully we will see more Blackberry and Microsoft integration here at BB World. They are partners so it could happen!
    04-23-12 07:38 PM
    Hopefully we will see more Blackberry and Microsoft integration here at BB World. They are partners so it could happen!
    Would love to see that happen. Or better yet for RIM to build out their sync features.

Add it to Desktop Manager! Along with calendar options!
    04-23-12 07:48 PM
    Okay,I'm in the process of getting Outlook set up since Google Sync will not be supported by Google on BlackBerry.
    I have to ask, but why not just go to your BIS setup and plug your google email account in directly? BIS has had the ability to sync OTA your google email, contacts and calender natively for the last couple of years. Google sync has not really been needed for a while now. If that's what you use.
    04-23-12 09:23 PM
    Because I like to edit contacts and calendar on my Dell. Also, I don't want my contacts and calendar "stuck" on my BlackBerry. If I switch to another platform it's just a hassle. Been there.

BIS tends to mess up my contacts too. Duplicates and puts the address in one field so I can't add them to navigation.

I can't print out my calendar using BIS either. I can with Google and hopefully Outlook.

I like to have everything viewable on the PC, especially my calendar. I hate the calendar on the BlackBerry. I need to SEE my events in text form in month view to plan.

I like having a paper copy too. I don't know of any way to do that with BIS. I just find BIS really basic and no features.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-23-12 at 09:44 PM.
    04-23-12 09:41 PM
    I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw, and that's okay with me, but I was under the impression that as long as you already had goggle sync on your BlackBerry device before June 1 2012, you wouldn't be effected and would still be able to sync.....could someone clarify this for me....
    04-23-12 09:52 PM
    That's is true. But I don't put it past Google to block it in the furtue.

In addition, I don't want to have to load Sync some other way besides appworld when I upgrade.

I'm not into tinkering or side loading.

So, I'll just use what's made to work with BlackBerry. Not BlackBerry sync though until it's improved.

Outlook seems like a good solution.

I'm mad at Google.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    04-23-12 09:54 PM
    Oh okay, I guess sooner or later I'm going to have to switch due to a new device upgrade.
    04-23-12 10:08 PM
    That's is true. But I don't put it past Google to block it in the furtue.

In addition, I don't want to have to load Sync some other way besides appworld when I upgrade.

I'm not into tinkering or side loading.

So, I'll just use what's made to work with BlackBerry. Not BlackBerry sync though until it's improved.

Outlook seems like a good solution.

I'm mad at Google.
    I just don't trust Google anymore and i'm cutting it out as much as I can.
    04-24-12 04:23 AM
    I would. But I love my gmail and Google Search.

If there was a better alternative I would try it.

BlackBerry Maps needs a major overhaul. I would rather use that than GM. Search I could go Bing no big deal.
    04-24-12 06:11 AM
    The more you use Outlook, the more you will love it! Example of what you can do. You like looking at appointments in a monthly layout as most business people do. Today I set up a 6 way conference call incorporating the info from an email to the calendar then sent out the invitation to join the call (including the word doc info for the call) with reminders and the ability to edit replies, all through the calendar folder. Slick, fast and easy to do. It goes out like an email and when it gets to the intended contact, it asks if they will accept the time for the call or if they need to change it. Once they hit the "accept/decline/modify" button it automatically goes on their personal calendars. Just one of the many features that makes it heads and tails above the rest. Enjoy!
    04-24-12 06:58 PM
    Does anyone use this app for Outlook sync to BlackBerry?

It's $60...

Syncamatic - Wirelessly Sync Your BlackBerry, Mac and PC.
    Syncamatic works flawlessly for me! If you don't need to sync on a mac you just have to pay 39.99$ (the app is 60$ on app world cuz they want you to pay for the full package that sync on both mac and pc). But if you go via the website you cqn chose the plan you want.

Go and get it you can try for free for 10 days.
    04-24-12 08:31 PM
    I mighta missed something too but Outlook is just a front end for an email server... The GUI, so to speak. By itself Outlook is useless unless it's connected to an email server. That can be Gmail, your ISP, a corp email server, etc. It is that email server that your BB needs to connect to and sync with.

I use Outlook too, and have for more years than I want to say. Right now Gmail is my backend email server and Outlook works great with that combination. You can use the integrated BIS sync, and that works well for many. I use Google Sync because it works and because I have multiple calendars in the same single email account that I need to sync. I plan to keep using Google Sync until it's time for a new device. I've squirreled away the cods and a jad just in case I have to reload it again for myself or one of the many others around here who use it.
    04-25-12 12:09 PM
    I mighta missed something too but Outlook is just a front end for an email server... The GUI, so to speak. By itself Outlook is useless unless it's connected to an email server. That can be Gmail, your ISP, a corp email server, etc. It is that email server that your BB needs to connect to and sync with.

I use Outlook too, and have for more years than I want to say. Right now Gmail is my backend email server and Outlook works great with that combination. You can use the integrated BIS sync, and that works well for many. I use Google Sync because it works and because I have multiple calendars in the same single email account that I need to sync. I plan to keep using Google Sync until it's time for a new device. I've squirreled away the cods and a jad just in case I have to reload it again for myself or one of the many others around here who use it.
    Not for calendar, contacts, memos, tasks, only for email it depends on a server. The rest are local on the computer.
    04-25-12 12:16 PM
    Not for calendar, contacts, memos, tasks, only for email it depends on a server. The rest are local on the computer.
    If Gmail is your email service then you do have email, calendar and contacts available to sync. Memos and tasks I can't speak to because I don't use those. But you're right in that it does depend on the specific email service as to what can and cannot sync.
    04-25-12 12:47 PM
    Actually I would like to see RIM develop their own "browser - based" email client that would sync with their native Playbook and phone app.
    04-25-12 01:01 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD