Hi,
    I have just read through John Clarkes how to optimise your BB and would like to now whether its important to Create a folder in the java folder called Removed Modules to move the unwanted wallpapers and themes cod into that folder, or can I just delete them in the java files then connect my BB to my computer and run the application loader to remove
    Kind Regards, tantra.
    04-22-08 06:50 PM
    When I did it, I did not put that in removed modules folder. I just deleted them permanently and connected to computer and ran app loader.
    04-22-08 06:58 PM
    Yes you need to follow that step. It is very important because if you end up removing a module that is needed, you can simply move the module back to the Java folder. Where as if you delete the module, you wouldn't be able to get it back without re-installing the OS software again.
    04-22-08 07:02 PM
    04-22-08 07:35 PM
    Is there any way to get rid of it w/o syncing to a computer?
    04-22-08 08:45 PM
    Does the how to maximize your BB also work the same way for mac user?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-08 08:52 PM
    No because you can't install Desktop Manager or the handheld OS software to a Mac. This can only be done on a PC.
    04-22-08 08:58 PM
    You need to remove the wallpaper thru your PC. That's the only way. It is very simple as you just follow the link sunkast posted.

And for the Mac question, I can't help you on that as I never used a Mac.

04-22-08 08:59 PM
    I've got a question... I have already removed the pre installed wallpapers, but is there a way to extract the images from the modules so I can put them on my mem card instead of my device memory?

04-23-08 06:48 AM
    No there isn't.
    04-23-08 09:35 AM
    Hi and thanks for the info Garz & sunkast.
    tantra.
    04-23-08 01:22 PM
    Is there a way to remove the inherent browser and keep opra-mini?

It uses a lot of memory, but some may be needed for the opra-mini to run??

Thank You
    04-24-08 03:05 PM
    I followed the articles instructions, but after backing up my Blackberry Curve 8320 am unable to locate the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared directory... or anything similar. Furthermore, I had windows search for all *.cod files, and nothing even close to net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.COD is found.

Did I do something wrong?
    05-29-08 02:59 AM
    Go to control panel on your pc. Look at the installed programs list. If you don't see both the desktop software AND the device OS as installed programs, then you haven't yet installed the OS. I think that's step 2 in Clark's procedure. I don't have it handy. Installing the OS will make the directory available.

05-29-08 06:40 AM
    Yes you need to follow that step. It is very important because if you end up removing a module that is needed, you can simply move the module back to the Java folder. Where as if you delete the module, you wouldn't be able to get it back without re-installing the OS software again.
    I totally agree as I took out the wallpapers and other things yesterday without making another file and had to reload the OS. If I would have taken the half a second to make a backup file, it would have saved me the time and hassle.
    05-29-08 08:48 AM
    Is there a way to remove the inherent browser and keep opra-mini?

It uses a lot of memory, but some may be needed for the opra-mini to run??

Thank You
    That really isn't a good idea, since only the native BB browser can do OTA installations of things...
    05-29-08 09:33 AM
    Thank you Jeff!

I feel silly that I completely overlooked step 2. After reading your post, however, I downloaded the OS, found the Shared folder, and deleted the Wallpaper file. Yet...

It didn't have the result that I expected. I thought that the BB's "Homepage" (desktop) would be the same as before -- but with a SOLID COLOR background. (I assumed that by deleting the *.cod file, I was deleting the picture of the "highway").

Were my expectations wrong, or did I make a mistake in the deletion procedure?

If I just had mistaken expectations, do you know of any way to remove all wallpaper from the background and just have a solid color -- ideally white (without paying for software)?

Thanks again for your help.

- Max

Go to control panel on your pc. Look at the installed programs list. If you don't see both the desktop software AND the device OS as installed programs, then you haven't yet installed the OS. I think that's step 2 in Clark's procedure. I don't have it handy. Installing the OS will make the directory available.

05-29-08 12:07 PM
    That highway background is part of the theme I don't think you can delete it. You can change your wallpaper if you have a solid white or solid black wallpaper on your media card, you can set it as your wallpaper.

05-29-08 01:21 PM
    In the wallpapers section there is a solid black wallpaper. Crackberry also
    has a wallpapermaker you could make your own solid white wallpaper.

05-29-08 01:26 PM
    remember, don't delete your dimension stuff.
    05-29-08 01:29 PM
    Excellent.

I actually found simple instructions to create my own White image, and then transferred it to my BB's Pictures folder. (Go to Pinstack and search for "Low vision theme.")

It came out great. If anyone else is interested, I copied those specific instructions and present them here:

First, find a theme that works best for you. Assuming a full QUERTY device, I'd suggest either a theme that has only 5 icons across, or a Zen theme that defaults to icons down one of the sides and displays the name of the application when selected.

Next, change your background to plain white. Simply open Windows Paint application. Then select Image Attributes and set the width and height of your device (320x240 on most QWERTY devices). Make sure the picture is just white (should be by default) and save it as a .JPG and copy it to your BlackBerry's Pictures folder and set it as your default background.
    05-29-08 01:40 PM
    I still have the highway as well. Like you, I originally thought I'd get a blank background, but I believe blackngray70 is correct.I wouldn't mind a medium blue like windows used to default to, but I haven't tried to find one.

05-29-08 01:52 PM
    Hi Jeff.

In gratitude, I quickly created a Medium Blue image using Microsoft Paint (found in Windows' Accessories folder) and the instructions I posted above. [Attached] I hope you find it useful.
    05-29-08 02:43 PM
    For the true Windows blue screen experience:
    05-29-08 02:49 PM
    mkohl, Stoner: Beautiful! Priceless!!
    05-29-08 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD