The battery is the only part in a phone that is "guaranteed" to go wrong, when used normally. It is also the only part in a phone that will deteriorate itself significantly by just sitting on a shelf

I believe that current sealed in battery design severely limits the service life of electronics since batteries do not have the longevity of other phone components. Consumers often have to deal with expensive repair bills or a complicated disassembly just for a battery exchange. So people just buy new phones every couple years rather than having to deal with a complicated battery exchange.

This is especially important since we have a growing amount of e waste globally. The government should enforce rechargeable batteries, so that people at least have the economical option of keeping their phone for long if they choose to.

This is also important since smartphone industry is quite mature now, so there is less reasoning to get new phones frequently, compared to when smartphones were still maturing.

It does not make sense that manufacturers charge over $1000 for top smartphones and seal the battery in, essentially pushing people to get rid of the entire phone for a faulty battery few years down the road.

Anyways, it is unlikely to see another removable battery phone from BlackBerry, but it is good to see that other companies like Microsoft and LG are still sticking with removable batteries.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by skstrials; 11-26-15 at 02:08 AM.
    11-26-15 01:57 AM
    I've never bought a new phone because I felt the old one was not holding charge properly. That is most likely the case for the majority of people who upgrade phones within a 2 year period.

Government can keep their mitts off this one. I'd rather they spend money on basic research in battery tech than legislating replaceable batteries than can affect things like water resistance.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-26-15 02:34 AM
    [QUOTE= pushing people to get rid of the entire phone for a faulty battery few years down the road.
    [/QUOTE]
    Many of the users complaining about Z10's battery just need to pop in a cheap new one-- what a difference in performance! How many millions of iPods are in landfills because you cannot replace the battery? (in some models, you have to bend the metal case to get in so it needs to be replaced too). Sometimes the consumers stop buying the brand after a sealed battery rip off, like Cisco having to drop their Flip video

BB, Still the One
    skstrials and flintlock like this.
    11-26-15 04:31 AM
    There's terms in manufacturing that could explain a lot of things in the design of modern day mobile devices. One term is "Planned Obsolescence": roughly defined as when a product is designed to have a limited life cycle.
    Ask yourself; why make a power cell non-replaceable, when previous generations have proven it to be useful in extending the life of the device. Secondly, why not design all cell phones with external memory expandability, especially when a128gb SD card can be purchased for $40.00. The alternative is to spend hundreds more for a device with more Internal storage capacity.( Water Resistive models "possibly" excluded) . Read this:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...scence-460210/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 11-26-15 at 05:48 AM.
    11-26-15 05:30 AM
    Government can keep their mitts off this one. I'd rather they spend money on basic research in battery tech than legislating replaceable batteries than can affect things like water resistance.
    Just so you know, removable battery phones can be built water resistant too.
    - Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Active, S4 Active
    - CAT B15
    - NEC Terrain
    - Kyocera Hydro

In fact, with the exception of Sony phones, most business grade water resistant phones have removable batteries.

If we are talking water resistance in normal non water resistant phones, phones with removable battery are better since the battery can be removed quickly to facilitate drying and prevent further damage.

I agree that there needs to be a continued research on batteries, but until there is a proper battery without this kind of deterioration, we need to enforce removable batteries.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by skstrials; 11-26-15 at 09:13 AM.
    flintlock and BerryRipe like this.
    11-26-15 08:56 AM
    Many of the users complaining about Z10's battery just need to pop in a cheap new one-- what a difference in performance! How many millions of iPods are in landfills because you cannot replace the battery? (in some models, you have to bend the metal case to get in so it needs to be replaced too). Sometimes the consumers stop buying the brand after a sealed battery rip off, like Cisco having to drop their Flip video

BB, Still the One
    Yes, Apple has already been sued because of sealed in batteries in Ipods.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1045105/ipodsuit.html

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    11-26-15 09:07 AM
    I don't like government mingle in lots of things. Including this one. Screens will break easier than batteries...

Posted via CB10
    Rustybronco likes this.
    11-26-15 09:21 AM
    I don't like government mingle in lots of things. Including this one. Screens will break easier than batteries...

Posted via CB10
    Screens will not break under "normal" usage.

You could baby the phone in an Otterbox case, but the battery would still get worn out.

Posted via CB10
    flintlock likes this.
    11-26-15 09:23 AM
    I hear u OP. Very good points.

Posted via Classic
    11-26-15 09:25 AM
    Lol! Get the US Government more involved and our phones will become hardly functional and cost $2000.

I prefer removable batteries but them being integrated doesn't bother me. My interest in the device wears out much sooner than the battery.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Priv
    Last edited by paulbbp; 11-26-15 at 10:32 AM.
    11-26-15 09:30 AM
    Such regulations are against the free market principles so it is a no-go anyways.

However, I have to say that only one of my smartphones was having a serious battery issue, and that was an exchangeable one.
    Yes, the battery is a single point of failure, but it's by far not the only one.

Today's smartphones are very much built with design in mind. If people have to choose between design and a removable battery, I say most of them would go for the better design. Also, built in batteries are often of a higher capacity.

At the end of the day, where do you have removable batteries nowadays? I don't have it in my notebook, neither do I have it in my tablet or smartphone and, for my part, I never missed it.

I allow myself to conclude that there's poor demand for removable batteries. If there was demand, there would also be more supply.

Trust the market forces...

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp likes this.
    11-26-15 11:49 AM
    I've replaced the batteries in a bunch of older iPhones, a few iPads, and a handful of other phones. Sure, you need to have a bit of skill and some tools, but it's not like such devices can't have their batteries replaced. You might have to pay someone else to do it - one time in the usable life of a device - but it's not the kind of issue that even remotely needs "law" involved.
    11-26-15 11:49 AM
    If you ignore the cost and complexity, the big problem with replacing sealed-in batteries is that the replacement battery isn't guaranteed to be an OEM part. These cheap aftermarket batteries often produced in substandard factories in China expose the user to risk of premature failure, battery swelling, leakage or possible fire.

I'm normally one to say let the market, not government, decide on features. But the problem with e-waste is growing, and consumers don't seem to care when they constantly buy phones without replaceable batteries.
    skstrials likes this.
    11-26-15 12:00 PM
    If you ignore the cost and complexity, the big problem with replacing sealed-in batteries is that the replacement battery isn't guaranteed to be an OEM part. These cheap aftermarket batteries often produced in substandard factories in China expose the user to risk of premature failure, battery swelling, leakage or possible fire.

I'm normally one to say let the market, not government, decide on features. But the problem with e-waste is growing, and consumers don't seem to care when they constantly buy phones without replaceable batteries.
    Why would that change if all batteries were removable? Do you really think people buy new phones because their batteries are bad and sadly they can't switch them? If that was the case, the smartphone market would not develop so rapidly. People buy new phones because they want to be on top of technology and lifestyle. A phone isn't just a means to an end anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SunshineStateFlyer; 11-26-15 at 01:17 PM.
    11-26-15 12:14 PM
    I strongly agree that all smartphones should have removable batteries, but I'm not too sure if it would be a good idea to have the government involved.
    11-26-15 03:05 PM
    Why would that change if all batteries were removable? Do you really think people buy new phones because their batteries are bad and sadly they can't switch them? If that was the case, the smartphone market would not develop so rapidly. People buy new phones because they want to be on top of technology and lifestyle. A phone isn't just a means to an end anymore.
    Why would what change? The quality of batteries? Because you'd be able to get them easily from the manufacturer, not ebay.

There absolutely is a portion of the population who get rid of their phones when they are worn out. Not being able to replace a battery that holds only 50% of it's charge would be one such factor.
    11-26-15 04:44 PM
    Just wait until Google (Alphabet?) get around to releasing project Ara, then you'll have replicable EVERYTHING!!!
    11-26-15 04:56 PM
    I have had about 20 mobile devices/smartphones and never broke a display or needed the replacement of a battery, but on the Q10 got a spare battery for first time and never use it...BUT I definitely would love to have it replaceable...!!!

Also it overs possibilities to add cards for harmonizing esmog and too for some devices a possibility to add a sim card adapter for a second sim card!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 05:10 PM
    I've replaced the batteries in a bunch of older iPhones, a few iPads, and a handful of other phones. Sure, you need to have a bit of skill and some tools, but it's not like such devices can't have their batteries replaced. You might have to pay someone else to do it - one time in the usable life of a device - but it's not the kind of issue that even remotely needs "law" involved.
    I'm more worried about the recycling aspect of it. Removable batteries have a much higher chance of getting recycled vs a gadget with a built in/ non removal battery.

Basically, a flip phones removable battery will have a much higher of recycling rate while an old iPhone will just be thrown in a garbage bags.

At a recycling spot where customers can drop off their electronics, I have never seen an iPhone for recycling. I never seen a laptop either. But laptop batteries, yes. And only old phone batteries. Meaning customers are willing to recycle batteries and yet keep the unused gadget as if there's sentimental value.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 05:40 PM
    This is hilarious.

Good Luck getting Apple to make ANY device with a removable battery.

They won't even accept to use a Micro USB Cable.
    Or at least a Type C connector.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-26-15 07:24 PM
    Such regulations are against the free market principles so it is a no-go anyways.

However, I have to say that only one of my smartphones was having a serious battery issue, and that was an exchangeable one.
    Yes, the battery is a single point of failure, but it's by far not the only one.

Today's smartphones are very much built with design in mind. If people have to choose between design and a removable battery, I say most of them would go for the better design. Also, built in batteries are often of a higher capacity.

At the end of the day, where do you have removable batteries nowadays? I don't have it in my notebook, neither do I have it in my tablet or smartphone and, for my part, I never missed it.

I allow myself to conclude that there's poor demand for removable batteries. If there was demand, there would also be more supply.

Trust the market forces...

Posted via CB10
    There are other points of failure in a phone, but the battery fails well before any other critical components of a phone do. The battery is the only part in a phone that wears out significantly during normal use. It is also the only part in a phone that will deteriorate itself significantly by just sitting on a shelf. People throw away phones because of batteries not charging, when the rest of the phone is fine.

The removable battery is a consumer rights and an environmental issue. When the industry releases products with a sealed in (sometimes glued in) battery that will wear out well before other electronic internals, the government needs to step in to make sure that consumers have an easy method of replacing the battery, so that consumers can keep using the same electronics for a long period of time if they choose to. Consumers have a right to an easy removal and the access to a replacement part of a wear component that has considerably shorter longevity than the rest of the electronic parts in a phone.
    flintlock likes this.
    11-26-15 07:58 PM
    Maybe people want the "latest and greatest", but those used phones with dead batteries are perfectly good for the millions of people who either can't afford a new iPhone every 6 weeks or kids who don't need a $1000 phone.
    flintlock likes this.
    11-26-15 08:01 PM
    I'm more worried about the recycling aspect of it. Removable batteries have a much higher chance of getting recycled vs a gadget with a built in/ non removal battery.
    It's actually just the opposite. Since the vast majority of people would need to take their phone into a service center to have the battery replaced, the used batteries would almost 100% be recycled properly, because service centers have the volume and incentive to do so. The average old user-replaceable battery goes right into the garbage can, because few people bother taking a single battery to recycling.
    TGR1 likes this.
    11-26-15 09:26 PM
    "On one hand, da gubmint should force removable batteries because reasons.

On the other hand, da gubmint should get their mitts out of blacklists and kill switches because reasons."
    Dave Cable likes this.
    11-26-15 10:48 PM
    Just changed my Mac book battery after 5 years. Was very easy. IPhone users have an easy time getting their battery replaced since the device is so popular. The OS has a shorter lifespan than the battery. A boutique phone like the Passport should have a removable battery. Cheap phones like the Leap are disposable ( recycling) .

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 10:04 AM
62 123