"People needing to charge their phones often have the look of homeless people looking for a public restroom. "

:-)

The heavyweight users over here in the UK are all toting huge USB battery packs around in backpacks.

A couple of my chums are smartphone zombies, they are checking their phones every two minutes. I started carrying a paperback to restaurant meals; when their phone comes out half-way through the soup I pick up the book and ignore them.

Gets annoying in the car when they rummage uninvited through the glove-box for a USB charger.

Who will free us from the iZombie Curse?
    Yep, I use relatively small USB charging packs to "seamlessly" prolong a call, if needed. Figured out a few weeks into my Classic that a meaningfully sized charging pack winds up almost as large as a 9900! Why not just carry a spare 9900? Which is what I do. Along with a VERY compact & pocket friendly JM1 spare battery for it. A combo that provides superb critical communications availability.

I'm guilty as most for working while dining... NOT when dining with the wife, tho. Lol. Fortunately, I've learned to be skilled enough single thumbing my 9900, that I'm never forced to distract right hand from face feeding duties... lol. Or note taking. Or signing the dinner check... lol.
    05-27-17 04:23 PM
    I remember when batteries were replaceable. In fact, the only times I've ever needed to replace a battery has been in BlackBerry phones with user replaceable batteries. All of the phones I've had with a sealed battery have done fine. My OnePlus One is like 3.5 years old and it's battery is still chugging along.
    05-28-17 06:39 PM
    It wasn't so long ago when Q10 was still rocking a swappable battery design. Who else thinks this is genius and that it should not be dying out with the technology "evolution"? Nowadays people are pursuing bigger battery and at the same time being dissatisfied with them phones because those batteries are not swappable by the users for daily use.

We have come so far in terms of smartphone design and evolution but why are we doing it at the expense of something so essential and important - which is the battery life or the ability to swap batteries?
    My wrist watch needs no battery because it is engineered to convert motion into keeping the mechanism running like clockwork. If only BlackBerry smartphones could implement such a feature we would never need to worry about swappable batteries.
    05-28-17 07:46 PM
    My wrist watch needs no battery because it is engineered to convert motion into keeping the mechanism running like clockwork. If only BlackBerry smartphones could implement such a feature we would never need to worry about swappable batteries.
    Great idea! "Shake, rattle & charge"... I like it! That might even fit inside the battery envelope itself... ?? That'd make retrofit into swappable battery handsets a sinch... hmm.... i'll run some calcs on this... Also, how about self charging spare Batteries that charge themselves from walking motion while in pocket? Viability is in the numbers... and how much you move... I, myself, am active enough to see possibilities...
    05-28-17 10:47 PM
    [QUOTE=AllanQuatermain;12891522]
    It is possible to revive them,

Lithium iron batteries require a charge in the battery for the charging circuits to operate if the battery has fully discharged then the recharging can not start, so old stock batteries can fully discharge on the shelf I have experienced this a few times and had to return.
    [url]https://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry
    Not all the Li ion battery got cct inside, the fake or cheap one may not. (silly someone might consider it as feature, charge even under complete dead).

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 11:00 PM
    You need a lot shake to play game, especially, VR. By the way, there are battery charge via walking (embedded in your shoes), great for hiking trails.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    05-28-17 11:03 PM
    [QUOTE=stlabrat;12893455]

Not all the Li ion battery got cct inside, the fake or cheap one may not. (silly someone might consider it as feature, charge even under complete dead).

Posted via CB10
    Don't buy cheap or fake batteries, and the Samsung S8 has battery temperature sensor outside of the battery which is unusual, without this sensor the battery would not charge.
    05-29-17 01:49 AM
    Who will free us from the iZombie Curse?
    Oh, the irony of THAT conversation on a website that was NAMED for the very same phenomenon (phone users who couldn't look away from their phones - so addicted to them, they called them CrackBerrys).
    05-29-17 02:47 AM
    Oh, the irony of THAT conversation on a website that was NAMED for the very same phenomenon (phone users who couldn't look away from their phones - so addicted to them, they called them CrackBerrys).

It's the little blinky lights on BlackBerries. (LBLs) We can't ignore them.

Some of the European countries are installing lights into the sidewalk at road crossings so CrackBerry iZombies don't get squashed, as actually looking up from a phone spells instant social death.
    05-29-17 04:36 AM

It's the little blinky lights on BlackBerries. (LBLs) We can't ignore them.

Some of the European countries are installing lights into the sidewalk at road crossings so CrackBerry iZombies don't get squashed, as actually looking up from a phone spells instant social death.
    We need more than that. I can't safely cross a street reading my phone while ignoring the rest of the world with those sneaky and quiet Prius cars rolling through the intersection.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 06:33 AM
    I, myself, spend far more time typing than reading. Learning to type without looking frees up eyes for other activities... like watching for sneaky quiet Prius... lol (the wife has a Prius... GREAT car!)

Learning to type with single hand frees up a hand for other activities... like dining... lol. Or pulling a cart thru supermarket, etc, etc... lol.

Of course any millisecond eyes and hands are directed away from our mobile advertising platforms is a millisecond Google isn't earning their keep... lol. Single handed, type by feel, handsets that free users to direct attention to ANY other pursuit is counterproductive to Google's market model, imo. Keeping users tethered to a wire also helps prevent them from roaming around and finding other activities to distract them from "add watching". Rough on add ratings, ya know... lol.
    05-29-17 07:22 AM
    We need more than that. I can't safely cross a street reading my phone while ignoring the rest of the world with those sneaky and quiet Prius cars rolling through the intersection.

Posted via CB10
    https://www.wired.com/2017/01/inside...g-los-angeles/
    Join the dig group, you can walk on the street without worry.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 08:18 AM
    You need a lot shake to play game, especially, VR. By the way, there are battery charge via walking (embedded in your shoes), great for hiking trails.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the #s don't get very far for inductive "rattle" power. So far. Might help prolong endurance, tho? Plenty of (piezo?) energy availability in shoes, tho. Delivering that energy might be better suited to battery packs than with wires, imo. Can't wait for the Max Smart jokes to pile on when I pull a charged JM1 from a shoe to insert into my 9900... lol. (Someone in these forums once referred to their 9900 as "Agent 99"... )

Might be fun to investigate these concepts further...
    05-29-17 10:13 AM
    I like "agent 99"! Uses z30, 9900, and 9930 (my panda phone - half white and half black, replaced lcd frame). Will try to get a z10, if I am lucky for free. (try to convince someone to part it for black Droid... not easy so far).
    05-29-17 10:27 AM
64 123