Google purchased Motorola as if it was nothing to them. If Google really wanted to stop BB from making OS10 devices (not sure why they would want to?) they can just hand Prem Wesa $2Billion to get BB out of his hands. And Google will have BB patents (which is more important to Google) and sell of the rest of BB.

Or the more likely scenario is that BB is losing money on OS10 and decided to shelf it just like what they did with BBOS.
    Watsa... ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-11-16 12:30 AM
    I'm asking again... is BlackBerry closing BB10? cuz i'm not going android any time soon, there's tons of things i can't do with those android phones..
    03-11-16 06:30 AM
    I'm asking again... is BlackBerry closing BB10? cuz i'm not going android any time soon, there's tons of things i can't do with those android phones..
    BlackBerry is committed to BB10.

*C5303
    extisis, JeepBB and web99 like this.
    03-11-16 07:03 AM
    Agreed, Blackberry can no longer sell devices with the Android runtime.

However... Blackberry will be maintaining older devices and may conveniently allow the ART bar to be sideloaded to the new devices, at least for a little while. It wouldn't be updated to support Android 4+ only apps, but it would be a workaround until it can hopefully be phased out.
    From what I understand, changing the runtime isn't as simple as just adding a new Bar file to any version of BB10. It requires a lot of work tweaking both Android and BB10 so they work together. A lot of work equals a lot of developmental cost.... something I don't belive Chen will be approving for BB10.

BB10's "support" is what BlackBerry has said it is.... two minor updates this year - with as they told developers, no change to ART. Beyond that is just speculation, but it's pretty clear that sales don't support further development now, much less a year from now when they'll be even fewer sales.

ART phased out? While I doubt Regulated Industries or Governments are using a lot of Apps. I really don't know that a BB10 only device, with very little in the way of developer support now and even less a year from now, would meet all their needs. Think BlackPhone learned that lesson already. IF BlackBerry stays in hardware.... Chen's focus is going to be making the PRIV capable of meeting the needs of those high security customers.

Some have suggested that 2015/2016 was a transition period for BlackBerry consumer products... that once Android is "finished" they'll move back to the enterprise market and BB10 development. Their flaw in that thinking is that Android will never be finished. BlackBerry is still working on Android "M", and now we see Android "N" hitting developers - so BlackBerry will have to start working on tweaking all their Android Apps to work with "N" and they have to start working on an "N" version for their Android Device(s).

I just think that if BlackBerry were "really" committed to BB10, they would have a development team working on it today. We'd have updated apps for Facebook and Twitter, and we'd see more than just security and maintenance updates. BlackBerry would have never even given the slightest impression that BB10 was having a "near death experience".
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 07:42 AM
    I tend to agree with you. They looked at where they were and decided it wasn't working, so they went Android. Probably should have a while ago.
    Seriously I for one refuse to go secound rate if it ain't for the OS. I doubt we'll see much more of BB as a Hardware company
    03-11-16 07:43 AM
    Looks to me based on what I am reading the BlackBerry hardware division has basically been reduced to designing BlackBerry branded device enclosures since Passport. Similarly, any meaningful advancement of BB10 seems to have ended at or around the same time, as their attention was shifted to Android. Therefore, BB10 has been a 'dead' platform for at least a year (probably closer to two). That is a sobering thought indeed.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kputock; 03-11-16 at 04:54 PM.
    extisis likes this.
    03-11-16 10:14 AM
    I doubt Google cares if BlackBerry continues to sell devices with the outdated runtime, since it's a small market and the benefits of that old runtime will lose app compatibility through attrition (apps requiring newer versions as well as increasing dependence on Google Play services). I wouldn't be surprised if Google forbids then making an updated ART though, or do the holy grail of using a hypervisor approach (*tear*), but financial reasons alone for BlackBerry could explain that.

I think BlackBerry isn't making new BB10 devices due to saving money on development and shrinking prospects of profitability. I'm sure they also have adequate inventory on-hand, and can merely start production back up on existing models if necessary (like what they did for the 9900 a few years back).
    03-11-16 10:53 AM
    Probably because they are losing tons of money on every BB10 device

Posted via CB10
    Do we know if blackberry lost money on the passport? Obviously if they were making money things would be different, but I was under the impression that the passport did a hell of a lot better than most other bb10 launches

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-11-16 02:09 PM
    Do we know if blackberry lost money on the passport? Obviously if they were making money things would be different, but I was under the impression that the passport did a hell of a lot better than most other bb10 launches

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Sales numbers never have been broken down for the Passport. But it's easy to see even with overall sales combined that the Passport wasn't a sales success. I think as a flagship it gets more attention on CrackBerry. But most of what I hear of as far as large corporate order these days, are for the Classic. One developer had posted numbers for his app, probably a year ago... and the Passport was near the bottom of the list. Maybe we could get another developer to do that again to see how the current userbase breaks down.

I do think that without BB10 development cost, that BlackBerry probable did ok on the Passport. But OS development is part of it... which is why BB10 is only in "commitment" mode.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 02:43 PM
    Ron Louks = company scapegoat?

"He said it would be good... Don't blame me"
    -John Chen
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 02:51 PM
    Ron Louks = company scapegoat?

"He said it would be good... Don't blame me"
    -John Chen
    It's certainly possible.

The scuttlebutt is that Chen needed some convincing by Louks that BB could succeed with Android. If the Priv crashes and burns... Louks probably is the scapegoat. Though, realistically, if the Priv fails to sell then BB is likely done with Hardware anyway and Louks would be gone in that scenario also. You don't need a Head of Hardware if you don't make Hardware!
    03-11-16 03:34 PM
    "Oh werr we tried with a google running device with a all a apps for the consumer, but it didn't succeeded as per our xpecktashion"

2017 May.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 09:07 PM
    Too expensive
    03-11-16 09:25 PM
38 12