Obviously pure speculation but...BlackBerry continues to claim that not building any more BB10 hardware, at least "for the time being", is a business decision. Could this business decision be Google playing hardball with BlackBerry and refusing to let it build Priv unless it did so? There doesn't appear to be any downside, at least from Google's perspective, to force BlackBerry to its knees once and for all and capitalize on its position. Yes, we all know BB10 sales were in bad shape anyway. But most companies would not think twice about finishing off their competition, however small, if they had a chance to do so.

Case in point...Priv was under development at least a year before it was released in late 2015. Since 2014 the only 'new' BB10 models have been rehashed versions of previously released hardware...so basically, for all intents and purposes, no new BB10 hardware since Priv was in development, and a steady decrease in BB10 sales ever since.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 05:39 PM
    Probably because they are losing tons of money on every BB10 device

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 05:41 PM
    You're forgetting that the slider was originally going to be BB10. Chen even said that himself. The decision to go android was made last year.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    03-09-16 05:53 PM
    You're forgetting that the slider was originally going to be BB10. Chen even said that himself. The decision to go android was made last year.

I tend to agree with you. They looked at where they were and decided it wasn't working, so they went Android. Probably should have a while ago.
    03-09-16 06:02 PM

Where did he say the Priv was going to be a BB10 device? Curious.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-09-16 06:06 PM
    The decision to go all Android is one thing, and yes it makes sense at least on the surface, as a sound business decision. But it does not explain why BlackBerry would decide to develop and release a series of rehashed BB10 devices with essentially no new hardware while Priv was in development. On the other hand, it DOES make sense in the context of not being permitted to develop any new BB10 hardware. BlackBerry couldn't exactly sit idle for more than a year even if they knew no new BB10 hardware would be allowed under a new OHA agreement for Priv. Given its dismal financial situation, the markets would have written off BlackBerry as a hardware manufacturer before Priv even saw the light of day.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kputock; 03-09-16 at 07:48 PM.
    03-09-16 07:01 PM
    "Is Releasing No New BB10 Devices A Condition In BlackBerry's OHA Agreement For Priv?"

No. Google doesn't care if BB releases a dozen BB10 devices a year.

However... what BB can no longer do is release new devices with an Android Runtime. They gave that up when they licensed Google Play Services and access to Google Play for their Android devices (Priv and anything that follows).

BB could strip the ART out of BB10 and then do whatever they please with it, including making BB10 smartphones (without the ART). But let's be realistic: the subset of the already tiny number of BB10 users who would be interested in a BB10 device without the ability to run Android apps (which, remember, includes many apps in BB World, which are actually converted Android apps) is so small that BB could only make such devices at a HUGE loss.
    03-09-16 08:10 PM
    Google purchased Motorola as if it was nothing to them. If Google really wanted to stop BB from making OS10 devices (not sure why they would want to?) they can just hand Prem Wesa $2Billion to get BB out of his hands. And Google will have BB patents (which is more important to Google) and sell of the rest of BB.

Or the more likely scenario is that BB is losing money on OS10 and decided to shelf it just like what they did with BBOS.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-09-16 08:16 PM
    I tend to agree with you. They looked at where they were and decided it wasn't working, so they went Android. Probably should have a while ago.
    If you like Android. I am giving it a try for a week with a pristine Note 3 my dad picked up. Day 3 and it's pretty damn painful. Nova Launcher Prime helps a bit but anyone who does not admit Android is disjointed in comparison to BlackBerry 10 is not being honest. Let's see I loaded textra for SMS, Blue Mail for email, a launcher and some keyboard apps just to get this somewhat close to BlackBerry 10. I will, for sake of having an open mind, give this experience another couple days. I did have to take my Classic as a second device the past couple days due to the email. (Blue Mail added today) The Samsung stock email client was/is abysmal. As is the screen in daylight.

From the Dark Side
    acovey and ssbtech like this.
    03-09-16 08:20 PM
    Where did he say the Priv was going to be a BB10 device? Curious.

Posted via CB10
    He didn't

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-09-16 08:31 PM
    If you like Android. I am giving it a try for a week with a pristine Note 3 my dad picked up. Day 3 and it's pretty damn painful. Nova Launcher Prime helps a bit but anyone who does not admit Android is disjointed in comparison to BlackBerry 10 is not being honest. Let's see I loaded textra for SMS, Blue Mail for email, a launcher and some keyboard apps just to get this somewhat close to BlackBerry 10. I will, for sake of having an open mind, give this experience another couple days. I did have to take my Classic as a second device the past couple days due to the email. (Blue Mail added today) The Samsung stock email client was/is abysmal. As is the screen in daylight.

From the Dark Side
    I give you credit for giving it a try, more than most would do.

Trying to make Android like BB10 will probably be a losing battle though. It is Android which is quite different. Android N beta is out now and adds things such as split screen and responding to notifications without leaving an app. Android is ever evolving but not for everyone. We all have a different "feel" of how we want our smartphone to perform, but they all basically do the same things.

Good luck with your experiment!
    03-09-16 08:33 PM

Well for me it was a BAD decession I waited four years for a BB10 slider and they made a Android phone. If I wanted an Android phone I could have got one years ago. Will keep my Classic or go back to my 9810 NO Android for me.
    03-09-16 08:41 PM
    He didn't

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Thought so.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-09-16 08:44 PM
    Its a business decision. BlackBerry said no new BB10 devices this year. But I think there will be one in 2017 just as a refresh for their loyal enterprise customers. But focus will be android devices for sure

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 08:45 PM
    Obviously pure speculation but...BlackBerry continues to claim that not building any more BB10 hardware, at least "for the time being", is a business decision. Could this business decision be Google playing hardball with BlackBerry and refusing to let it build Priv unless it did so? There doesn't appear to be any downside, at least from Google's perspective, to force BlackBerry to its knees once and for all and capitalize on its position. Yes, we all know BB10 sales were in bad shape anyway. But most companies would not think twice about finishing off their competition, however small, if they had a chance to do so.

Case in point...Priv was under development at least a year before it was released in late 2015. Since 2014 the only 'new' BB10 models have been rehashed versions of previously released hardware...so basically, for all intents and purposes, no new BB10 hardware since Priv was in development, and a steady decrease in BB10 sales ever since.

Posted via CB10
    Why don't people on this message board not understand why Blackberry is moving away from BB10..
    03-09-16 08:46 PM
    The decision to go android was made last year.
    Well before that. The Priv was originally shown off in March of 2015 and it was intentionally mocked up as a BB10 device to not give way the real plans, so the planning of Android was well ahead of 2015.
    03-09-16 08:46 PM
    Its a business decision. BlackBerry said no new BB10 devices this year. But I think there will be one in 2017 just as a refresh for their loyal enterprise customers. But focus will be android devices for sure

Posted via CB10
    There won't be.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-09-16 08:48 PM
    @Blaize - You are right about this, decision was made way before March.
    03-09-16 08:48 PM
    @Blaize - You are right about this, decision was made way before March.
    Yep, started in January 2014.
    03-09-16 08:50 PM
    Well before that. The Priv was originally shown off in March of 2015 and it was intentionally mocked up as a BB10 device to not give way the real plans, so the planning of Android was well ahead of 2015.
    Ron Louks approached Chen in early 2014 shortly after he was hired Jan '14 about making an Android device. Some months after that it was decided to make Android slider later named the PRIV. The BB slider concept pre-dates Louks of course. There was a whole background story about it either linked from CB or AC some months back.
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    03-09-16 08:56 PM
    Ron Louks approached Chen in early 2014 shortly after he was hired Jan '14 about making an Android device. Some months after that it was decided to make Android slider later named the PRIV. The BB slider concept pre-dates Louks of course. There was a whole background story about it either linked from CB or AC some months back.
    Yes lol.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-09-16 08:59 PM
    heres the thread I remember and the CNET article it referenced about Louks and Android to Chen.

While Chen wanted a stronger relationship with Google -- one of the services BlackBerry offers is managing email on mobile devices, including those powered by Android -- Louks pushed things forward by asking to build an Android smartphone in early 2014.

Chen wasn't sold on the idea. And he wasn't alone. BlackBerry veterans are accustomed to using the company's own software to ensure the most secure devices, and Android lacked a reputation for security.

"There's normal tension when you change a strategic decision," Louks said. "People are going to question it."

It wasn't until Louks convinced Chen he could build an Android smartphone with security embedded in the hardware that he got the green light.
    alludba likes this.
    03-09-16 09:03 PM
    Ah gotcha. I was thinking the bb10 overlay was because they hadn't changed their minds yet. I just re-read the Louks interview. Oh well, this is Crackberry, so I'm allowed to post revisionist history like everybody else right?
    03-09-16 09:09 PM
    Oh well, this is Crackberry, so I'm allowed to post revisionist history like everybody else right?
    Totally.
    03-09-16 09:15 PM
    "Is Releasing No New BB10 Devices A Condition In BlackBerry's OHA Agreement For Priv?"

No. Google doesn't care if BB releases a dozen BB10 devices a year.

However... what BB can no longer do is release new devices with an Android Runtime. They gave that up when they licensed Google Play Services and access to Google Play for their Android devices (Priv and anything that follows).

BB could strip the ART out of BB10 and then do whatever they please with it, including making BB10 smartphones (without the ART). But let's be realistic: the subset of the already tiny number of BB10 users who would be interested in a BB10 device without the ability to run Android apps (which, remember, includes many apps in BB World, which are actually converted Android apps) is so small that BB could only make such devices at a HUGE loss.
    Agreed, Blackberry can no longer sell devices with the Android runtime.

However... Blackberry will be maintaining older devices and may conveniently allow the ART bar to be sideloaded to the new devices, at least for a little while. It wouldn't be updated to support Android 4+ only apps, but it would be a workaround until it can hopefully be phased out.
    03-10-16 04:56 PM
38 12