My wife want to get a Bold 9700 device. However, we dont want to pay for the special blacberry data plans (BIS). What will she be limited to if we get only the regular 3D data plan?
    06-27-10 08:54 AM
    Some carriers will not activate the device unless an appropriate BB data plan is added to the account. Without this data plan she will not be able to email, BBM or browse the web (unless over wifi for web). The BB Data plan activates the PIN which allows these features to function.
    06-27-10 08:57 AM
    You have to get the bb data plan in order to get the the bb.If she don't want to pay for the bb data plan why don't see just get a non-smartphone.
    06-27-10 09:37 AM
    Maybe there is confusion between a BB plan and data plan? Sounds like she does want a data plan.

From what I've seen pricing phones and plans there isn't a difference between a BB plan and a data plan. If I choose a BB I just get a choice between a corporate plan or a consumer plan. Consumer plan is same price as a regular data plan from that carrier.
    06-27-10 10:15 AM
    I have Sprint's, Everything data -family share with any mobile anytime. There is no "special bb plan" I think anymore, well I think there everything data can be applied to any phone. I get a lot more with this plan for the money then I would get with a lower level data plan and cheaper I believe. I think with sprint all of their data plans are for any phone and I believe most carriers it's the same way. I hope I didn't confuse you
    06-27-10 11:22 AM
    Sprint is what I have also and the everything data is cheap with unlimited data. Can't beat that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 12:09 PM
    You can't get the 9700 without a data plan. And the bb data plan would be the one that they would put onto it.
    06-27-10 12:14 PM
    Like Sprint, TMo's unlimited plan includes BlackBerry data. There isn't a difference in price between regular data and BlackBerry data as far as I know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 12:56 PM
    I have Sprint's, Everything data -family share with any mobile anytime. There is no "special bb plan" I think anymore, well I think there everything data can be applied to any phone. I get a lot more with this plan for the money then I would get with a lower level data plan and cheaper I believe. I think with sprint all of their data plans are for any phone and I believe most carriers it's the same way. I hope I didn't confuse you
    You still need to have a Blackberry Plan in order to use BIS/BES regardless of the fact that you may have unlimited data through Sprint.
    06-27-10 12:59 PM
    The OP is in the UK.

To the OP, I would suggest asking your question in the Other Carriers Worldwide forum. There are differences between data plans in the US and in the UK. None of these posts about US carrier plans will be relevant.
    06-27-10 01:03 PM
    It's the same in the UK, you have to have BIS in order for it to work, it doesn't work on 'normal' data plans! Only difference is data plan is optional, you can use wifi if you dont want emails?
    06-27-10 04:02 PM
    It's the same in the UK, you have to have BIS in order for it to work, it doesn't work on 'normal' data plans! Only difference is data plan is optional, you can use wifi if you dont want emails?
    Hi FobBerry, I was wondering about this as I downloaded fb from my BB but unable to use it as I keep getting a message saying something about data service not available. I am using wifi to connect (talktalk router)
    06-27-10 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD