Hello
    Just wondering if anyone can explain this.
    I upgraded my old cell to a new BB last weekend.
    The guy at the store activated the phone.
    Once I got home and started checking out the phone, I noticed that it had 2 messages on it.
    One of the messages indicated that the phone had been registered. Showed that it was registered when the guy at the store set up the phone.

Now here's the strange part.
    The second message also showed that the phone had been registered... Feb. 2006.

I called the guy at the store asking him about this and he couldn't explain it. Said that he had never heard of anything like that before.
    I called the service provider.. Bell.. and was told the same thing.

So, curiosity has now gotten the better of me and I'm wondering why a brand new model version of a BB would get a message saying it was registered 4 years ago.
    06-17-10 07:40 AM
    2 possible explanations; Is this your first BB? If so then here's what happened, the phone had the wrong date set on it and get registered while in Q & A testing at RIM, or with the carrier and it was not wipe as it's supposed to be, OR when the guy was setting it up at the store and registering it, he did so with the wrong date set, then fixed it and re-registered the device, which is why it has 2. It will in no way hurt the device. In either event I would not worry about it.
    06-17-10 07:57 AM
    2 possible explanations; Is this your first BB? If so then here's what happened, the phone had the wrong date set on it and get registered while in Q & A testing at RIM, or with the carrier and it was not wipe as it's supposed to be, OR when the guy was setting it up at the store and registering it, he did so with the wrong date set, then fixed it and re-registered the device, which is why it has 2. It will in no way hurt the device. In either event I would not worry about it.

What you suggest about the guy at the store setting the phone up with the wrong date being on it or him putting the wrong date on it, was my thought as well and I asked him if that is what happened.
    He said no and sort of gave me the impression that once the phone was set up & registered, it automatically defaults to the current time and date.
    Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

You mention the phone possibly not being wiped. What need would there be to wipe a brand new phone?

Yes this my first BB and thanks for your reply to my OP.
    06-17-10 09:47 AM
    What you suggest about the guy at the store setting the phone up with the wrong date being on it or him putting the wrong date on it, was my thought as well and I asked him if that is what happened.
    He said no and sort of gave me the impression that once the phone was set up & registered, it automatically defaults to the current time and date.
    Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

You mention the phone possibly not being wiped. What need would there be to wipe a brand new phone?

Yes this my first BB and thanks for your reply to my OP.
    Yes brand new phone, BUT RIM pulls a few off the line for testing to make sure that, the batch is good, they register them, take some pictures, send a few emails, do some typing etc, THEN wipe the phone and put it back. HOWEVER sometimes a phone slips back WITHOUT being wiped, often these show up to the customer with pictures on them from the RIM factory, sounds like yours has that registration email on it. Again I wouldn't worry about it.
    06-17-10 10:08 AM
    Yes brand new phone, BUT RIM pulls a few off the line for testing to make sure that, the batch is good, they register them, take some pictures, send a few emails, do some typing etc, THEN wipe the phone and put it back. HOWEVER sometimes a phone slips back WITHOUT being wiped, often these show up to the customer with pictures on them from the RIM factory, sounds like yours has that registration email on it. Again I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks for the RIM random testing explanation.

Regarding the 4 year old message being on a brand new phone, that isn't too much of a concern to me, as the phone works fine for what I've used it for so far.
    It's just curiosity on my part on how that was possible and your explanation satisfied that curiosity.

Thanks
    06-17-10 10:52 AM
    It has to be what pkcable says, assuming your handle is your phone model, that model didn't exist in 2006, so there is no way it could have been registered at that time.
    06-17-10 01:52 PM
    that model didn't exist in 2006, so there is no way it could have been registered at that time.
    Right, so that's what had me curious as to how/why the date of Feb 2006 appeared in the second message.
    No matter how that date was put on there, it just seemed odd to me it would be that old of a date.
    I can understand the date being off by a few months or so depending on when the phone was made, possibly being randomly tested by RIM and then shipped out but, to be off by 4 years is strange.

Yes, my handle is the phone I have.
    An amazing little thing.
    06-17-10 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD