Hi all,

I managed to get my phone in water (stupid, I know - I've been paying for it since); I've been trying to dry it for a month now and while some of the keys work, some don't (since my password consists of some of those numbers that don't work, I've got a problem).

I want to back up my data - recently got my new 9780 - but when I try to go into DM, there's no way to access my data without typing in the password. Is there a way to type in the password via the computer? Or, is there a way to use the 'device switch wizard' and type in the password on the computer versus typing it into the device?

12-21-10 09:32 PM
    You can backup your device without entering the password on the device. Plug your BlackBerry into you PC. If you are prompted to enter the password on your BlackBerry, click the escape key on the BlackBerry to cancel the prompt. Then run Desktop Manager, enter your password on the PC keyboard when prompted, and make the backup.
    12-21-10 09:39 PM
    thanks for the help Jeff, just one question: what if the escape key doesn't work? (D'oh!)
    12-21-10 09:50 PM
    If the escape key doesn't work, you can just ignore the prompt on the BlackBerry. You'll still be prompted to enter it on the PC and can make the backup.
    12-21-10 10:07 PM
    Jeff H. Can you enter it more than 10 times on the PC desktop manager without the blackberry wiping out everything? I have 2 tries left and have tried it on the handset but not desktop manager.
    07-29-11 03:06 PM
    No, the 10 count rule is the same on the PC as it is on the device.
    07-29-11 03:09 PM
    MobileMadness002 is correct. Desktop Manager also has a 10 try limit. I haven't tried it, but I think Desktop Manager will pick up the count at 8, so that you only have 2 tries left, not 18.

Have you tried my suggestions in this thread? http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...y-does-617270/
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-29-11 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added link
    07-29-11 03:12 PM