my blackberry bold was stolen from my weight training locker today. i've had the phone for about 5 months and it's pretty much got my life stored on its flash drive.... the 8GB flash drive i bought and installed on it.

does anyone know of a way i can get a new bold for free or super reduced? i had insurance on it, but i have to pay a $150 deductible and i'm pretty strapped for cash

can they track the gps on it or something? someone help. i'm distraught
    04-29-09 07:17 AM
    1) Fixed your thread title. Help!!!!!! is not very, well, helpful

2) As far as tracking by the GPS no. Best you could have done was
    to install a program like Roblock. Call the carrier and report it stolen.
    At least that way you won't incur charges for the activity
    after the theft.

3) This does not help you now, but it does illustrate to others
    who "keep their life" on their phone the importance of (A)
    backing up the entire device and (B) getting serious about
    protecting it (i.e., the app I mentioned)
    04-29-09 07:55 AM
    AG where do you get Roblock?
    04-29-09 07:58 AM
    AG where do you get Roblock?
    RobLock (Blackberry) - Download
    04-29-09 08:01 AM
    Thank you AG, but I've been trying to go to it on my berry and it isn't working I get some stupid message saying HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable. The server is currently unable to handle your request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. I know my internet is working wtf?
    04-29-09 08:29 AM
    Thank you AG, but I've been trying to go to it on my berry and it isn't working I get some stupid message saying HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable. The server is currently unable to handle your request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. I know my internet is working wtf?
    Ambz, that is a desktop download not an OTA. Let me see if I can find one.

RobLock - OTA link
    04-29-09 08:40 AM
    Thanks AG. I got it all downloaded, but is it going to cost me? Sorry I'm so full of questions, but I don't want any extra charges!
    04-29-09 08:47 AM
    Thanks AG. I got it all downloaded, but is it going to cost me? Sorry I'm so full of questions, but I don't want any extra charges!
    The app after the 7 day trial is $5. The use of it will not incur any additional
    charges as far as your cell bill goes.
    04-29-09 09:03 AM
    my blackberry bold was stolen from my weight training locker today. i've had the phone for about 5 months and it's pretty much got my life stored on its flash drive.... the 8GB flash drive i bought and installed on it.

does anyone know of a way i can get a new bold for free or super reduced? i had insurance on it, but i have to pay a $150 deductible and i'm pretty strapped for cash

can they track the gps on it or something? someone help. i'm distraught
    Your options are, pay full price for a new one or pay $150 through insurance.

You can check with your home owners/renters or car insurance policies, to see if you have personal items coverage, but if you didn't add that coverage, it's unlikely that you do.

Unless as AG says, you installed one of the LowJack type software programs on the phone, there will be no tracking it after the fact. Once a new SIM goes into that phone, it becomes the property of the person that stole it. Unlike Europe, US carriers do not blacklist phones, so that they cannot be used if stolen or lost.

Hopefully you have your "life" backed up at least once a week, (every night) if things are "important" to you, either at home of through one of several online backup options for contacts, docs and photos.

Best thing for the future, if the phone can't be with you at the gym, leave it in the car. When I go to the gym or the pool, my phone stays in the car.
    04-29-09 11:52 AM
    That sucks to hear about your phone. If you are strapped for cash or just don't have that much to spend look on your local craigslist usually can get a decent phone for cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 10:28 PM
    thanks for the help... i'll install that app when i get a replacement.

i wasn't at the gym. i was at school. it got stolen 4th period. ******* bull****

thanks though.
    04-29-09 10:56 PM
    oh... and it wasn't really "my entire life"

i was exaggerating. just all the contacts and a few dates were really important. along with that 8gb card. **** dude
    04-29-09 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD