I couldn't be unhappier at this moment. For close to a year now I've been waiting out my contract on my work phone (a Tour 9630) and hoping to move to an Android Droid 2 or Droid X. I contacted our IT department and they've strongly recommended me against moving away from BB for security reasons. Completely understandable and reasonable... since they are paying the bill. However I'm still stuck with a phone, that although handles calls and email extremely well, sucks in almost every other regard. Slow, underpowered, barely about to browse the internet, trackball issues, terrible texting, even Google maps is almost unusable for navigation. I travel frequently and this phone is a battery sucking brick most of the time.

So... if I have to stay with BB, what is a decent phone to upgrade to. Storm is completely out of the question. Every user I know has had OS problems and face it..... nothing close to an iPhone or Android in terms of functionality. I need touchscreen, decent keybed for alternative typing... fast, powerful. GPS navigation (or support of 3rd party apps). Yes it must play angry birds.

Please humor me... (can you tell I'm in a bad mood over this... I promise I'll play nice) what's the closest thing in Blackberry's stable that approaches iphone/android functionality?
    02-09-11 10:29 AM
    The Torch is going to be your only choice right now... Mainly because you eliminated the only other touch screen BB (storm). As far as your requirement of "it must play angry birds", that won't happen simply because there isn't a port of Angry Birds for BB (yet). Rovio may get on that once there are more touch screen BB's.

There was a leaked roadmap of CDMA BB's a while back that showed a lot of touch screen BB's coming, but nothing official as of yet.
    02-09-11 10:44 AM
    Probably there upcoming tablet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-11 10:44 AM
    Have you considered just keeping the BB for work, and getting what you want for your own personal use? Yeah, I wouldn't want to carry around two devices. But a friend of mine was in the same boat - his company only supports BB's. He wanted something else, although his main driver was how much his phone was crippled by his IT security rules. Anywhoo, he got himself an iPhone4 and kept the Bold 9000 for business email only, and he's happy as a clam with it.

02-09-11 10:55 AM
    I'd wait for the Bold Touch to be released. It will be worth the wait if you are ball and chained to Blackberry.

02-09-11 11:02 AM
    Well... I'm joking with the 'Angry Birds' requirement. But I am so unsatisfied with the Tour9630... lockups, slow response, memory issues. I had to rollback the last OS update because the phone was unusable. Many of my friends and co-workers have been completely unsatisfied with the Storm and Storm 2. One co-worker called the 18 month contract with the original Storm a 'prison sentence'.

I'm on Verizon so I'll have to wait for the CDMA Torch. I believe they were saying March 2011. On a scale of 1-11 how frustrating is the Storm 2. I already know the browser is pretty useless. Again, traveling, I need quick accesses to Google searches, Expedia, Car Rentals... etc. I was hoping to avoid tethering altogether by going with a mobile hotspot.
    02-09-11 11:07 AM
    I'm reading user reviews about the Storm 2 on Verizon right now and I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy. I'm seeing the same, consistant complaints: phone freezes, unexpected shutdowns, poor battery life...

The same reasons I'm leaving the Tour? Opinions?
    02-09-11 11:35 AM
    Blackberry dakota/montana.

Go look it up. If you can wait til q3

02-09-11 12:22 PM
    If you're with Verizon, your only choices are currently going to be the Storm 2 or Bold 9650. You can pair your Tour up with a Playbook when it comes out, but nothing is supposed to be coming out in the CDMA world until summer.
    02-09-11 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD