My Q5 is on its way out so I need to choose a new Blackberry (I will not consider any other brand of phone) and would appreciate some advice.

I am not a power user by any means, and mainly use my phone as a phone with texting, email, some limited picture taking, and occasional web surfing thrown in.

I was considering buying a phone through a provider (Canadian) and paying as I went, but also think it might be an idea to buy a phone outright. I would lose the ability to return the phone in case of malfunction, but would likely pay less (and pay less per month).

I am trying to decide between the following phones:
    Dtek 50
    Dtek 60
    Keyone
    Motion
    Priv

The problem is that I am having trouble deciding, and if I read one more online review I will go nuts. Because of that, I was hoping that people here could share their experiences and opinions on those phones, and what they think the best choice might be for someone who uses their phone as I described above.

Thanks in advance.
    04-23-18 01:02 PM
    Don't even bother unless it's Motion or KEYone or wait for whatever the KEY2 will be.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-23-18 02:23 PM
    NOT the PRIV.

Although it was the first successor to Passport with blackberry10, it is not even worthy to tie its shoes
    04-23-18 04:07 PM
    What you describe is what I do with my keyone, and I am super happy. Go for it
    04-23-18 04:19 PM
    My Q5 is on its way out so I need to choose a new Blackberry (I will not consider any other brand of phone) and would appreciate some advice.

I am not a power user by any means, and mainly use my phone as a phone with texting, email, some limited picture taking, and occasional web surfing thrown in.

I was considering buying a phone through a provider (Canadian) and paying as I went, but also think it might be an idea to buy a phone outright. I would lose the ability to return the phone in case of malfunction, but would likely pay less (and pay less per month).

Dtek 50
    Dtek 60
    Keyone
    Motion
    Priv

The problem is that I am having trouble deciding, and if I read one more online review I will go nuts. Because of that, I was hoping that people here could share their experiences and opinions on those phones, and what they think the best choice might be for someone who uses their phone as I described above.

Thanks in advance.
    Only the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion are being actively supported, have Oreo coming, and have at least 2 more years of security updates.
    04-23-18 04:25 PM
    I'm mostly happy with the K1. The OS is terrible but the device is good. The video is not great. Camera is pretty good with accurate colours.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-23-18 04:37 PM
    Only the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion are being actively supported, have Oreo coming, and have at least 2 more years of security updates.

That is an excellent point, and one that hadn't even crossed my mind.
    04-23-18 06:47 PM
    Does anyone have any idea when the new phones are going to be released? I am wondering if it might be an idea to wait for those to see if the prices on the Motion and KeyOne drop a bit once the new ones come out.
    04-24-18 01:03 AM
    Dtek 50
    Dtek 60
    Keyone
    Motion
    Priv
    Thanks in advance.
    If your budget allows you go for the Motion or the KeyOne. They are both great devices or @Bla1ze advised keyone successor is also coming shortly.
    04-24-18 03:17 AM
    Yeah, my budget allows for either the Motion or the KeyOne. But saving money, if possible, is always nice which is why I was wondering if the prices might drop when the new phones are announced. Then again, the DTEK60 is still $500 (or more) around here so maybe the prices on the Motion and the KeyOne might not drop.
    04-24-18 11:19 AM
    patience, I'm guessing may or June and we should have something new to consider
    04-24-18 11:20 AM
    I know not of this patience of which you speak.
    skinnymike1 and bettyjo214 like this.
    04-24-18 12:25 PM
    Since the phone you have now is a Q5, I would recommend the KEYone for you the keyboard at first may feel different but you will get the hang of it quickly and the BlackBerry software has some very useful features that can be very productive.

If you don't want the keyboard anymore go with the Motion practically the same experience just with no keyboard and a bit of a weaker camera .

the DTEK phone and the PRIV I would not recommend anymore as the priv (although great hardware and screen) is no longer supported by BlackBerry and only gets updates through some blackberry apps and some third party ones too.

The DTEK phone have only a few months left before they lose support too.

In all I recommend the KEYone, I use one too and it quickly became one of my favorite BlackBerrys.
    colchar likes this.
    04-24-18 12:46 PM
    Just wait for the key2, after using keyone silver and black I can assure everyone that key2 would be the best that blackberry can offer in terms of performance and obviously the gaming and social media stuff. Meanwhile you can enjoy ur q5 but should've ordered the classic instead. The toolbelt the form factor you just can't get enough of that beauty.
    04-24-18 01:32 PM
    I am not interested in gaming or social media, so the Motion or KeyOne would serve my needs.
    04-24-18 02:23 PM
    I would say the KeyOne or the Motion, I have had a KeyOne for a while and haven’t had any issues.

The Motion looks like a nice device for the money, I haven’t been able to play with one yet, but I would grab a GSM unlocked model in a heartbeat if the price was right.
    colchar likes this.
    04-24-18 02:27 PM
    I am trying to find a good price, but the prices seem pretty much standard around here.
    04-24-18 04:00 PM
    KEYone Black Edition. Enough said.
    dilijasi likes this.
    04-25-18 01:30 AM
    Go for BlackBerry Q20. Classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-18 09:58 AM
    Blackberry PRIV or BlackBerry KEYone will meet your stated requirements.
    05-05-18 09:32 PM
    NOT the PRIV.

Although it was the first successor to Passport with blackberry10, it is not even worthy to tie its shoes
    Could you please give some reasons why NOT Priv? Many thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    05-05-18 10:07 PM
    Could you please give some reasons why NOT Priv? Many thanks.

Posted via CB10
    The Snapdragon 808 CPU means it overheats easily and tears through battery, all stock being at least two years old doesn't help battery either. Moreover, the Priv is officially end of life, so BlackBerry won't be patching the "most secure smartphone" anymore. Since more than six people care about Android, going EOL isn't a death knell like their previous platforms, but it's still something to watch out for.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-05-18 11:57 PM
    The Snapdragon 808 CPU means it overheats easily and tears through battery, all stock being at least two years old doesn't help battery either. Moreover, the Priv is officially end of life, so BlackBerry won't be patching the "most secure smartphone" anymore. Since more than six people care about Android, going EOL isn't a death knell like their previous platforms, but it's still something to watch out for.
    But...but that spring loaded slider is so satisfying to open!

While the Priv is slow, it remains usable in 2018 and can get through a full day if the user takes the time to optimize it right, and doesn't do gaming or anything heavy on the CPU/GPU.

As for no more patching, it is indeed something to be careful about.
    05-07-18 07:18 AM
    But...but that spring loaded slider is so satisfying to open!
    Super satisfying!

While the Priv is slow, it remains usable in 2018 and can get through a full day if the user takes the time to optimize it right, and doesn't do gaming or anything heavy on the CPU/GPU.
    Too many "ifs" to be considered a daily driver for your average user. Only us freaks at CB would tolerate this level of tinkering!
    05-07-18 08:01 AM

Too many "ifs" to be considered a daily driver for your average user. Only us freaks at CB would tolerate this level of tinkering!
    Must explain the high return rate of Privs when it launched, and why it sold so poorly after that
    05-07-18 08:18 AM
39 12