I just got my Blackberry a few weeks ago. My battery seems to only last a day. I read in my owner's manual that staying connected to the network (Verizon 3G) will drain the battery faster (makes sense of course). Here is my "stupid" question... if I disconnect from the 3G network, will I still be able to receive regular phone calls and text messages? Just asking....
    05-26-10 10:17 PM
    If your not connected to a cellular network how do you expect to receive calls?

Also, what's the problem if your phone lasts only a day? Just put it on the charger when you go to sleep (you do sleep right). Batteries in new BlackBerry's like to be kept charged, it won't last as long if you let it go dead all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 10:49 PM
    I just got my Blackberry a few weeks ago. My battery seems to only last a day. I read in my owner's manual that staying connected to the network (Verizon 3G) will drain the battery faster (makes sense of course). Here is my "stupid" question... if I disconnect from the 3G network, will I still be able to receive regular phone calls and text messages? Just asking....
    I'm not on the verizon network, but I have had a storm before, and I believe that you can change the network to 1XEV, or something like that.
    05-27-10 12:27 PM
    ===== QUOTE lgordonb ====

===== /QUOTE ====

I'm not on the verizon network, but I have had a storm before, and I believe that you can change the network to 1XEV, or something like that.
    IXEV is 3G. If you change it to 1X, you won't get data but phone calls/SMS will work (no MMS though).

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-27-10 12:50 PM
    Verizon doesn't have an option to switch between 2G and 3G. It's 3G all the time, if you want to receive calls and texts then the radio must be on.

Just for clarification:
    1XEV= 3G voice and data
    1xev= 3G but no data
    1X= 2G voice and data
    1x= 2G no data

05-27-10 02:59 PM
    Verizon doesn't have an option to switch between 2G and 3G. It's 3G all the time, if you want to receive calls and texts then the radio must be on.

Just for clarification:
    1XEV= 3G voice and data
    1xev= 3G but no data
    1X= 2G voice and data
    1x= 2G no data

Even on OS5?

AT&T was the same with OS4, but OS5 took care of that. I thought Verizon would be the same way...
    05-27-10 05:27 PM
    Even on OS5?

AT&T was the same with OS4, but OS5 took care of that. I thought Verizon would be the same way...
    I know Sprint is still that way, I know that on Verizon the 8530 and Storms show 3G instead of 1XEV. But everything else is still the same. The Tour still shows 1XEV though, unless you get a special theme. Att and Verizon were never the same in that regards that I know of. GSM phones have EDGE, and depending if it's in caps or not you will have data.

05-27-10 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD