I see a lot of posts here that reference people switching from iphones and then not being able to receive text from other iphone users. This is what I found when switching back and forth from my iphone to my Z10. One of the times I was using the iphone was when an ios update went live. Both my wife and myself updated and shortly after I went back to my Z. I did everything right (I thought) and turned imessage off on my iphone before I shut it off. Next day at work I texted my wife and she never answered so I texted her again. After a while she called me and asked what the heck I was doing because she had been answering me all along. Now I had never had this problem before when I switched, following the steps as earlier stated and was confused as to why I could not receive texts from her. What really confused me was another iphone friend of mine was texting me just fine.

What I found was it was not my phone as much as my phone number. Apple had my number as an imessage destination and was trying to deliver the text to that number. The reason for this was my wife's phone and how the settings were set up by default after the update. On an iphone, settings>messages you will find a switch that says "Send as SMS when imessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply". If this switch is not turned on the sending phone will never send an SMS to a number previously associated with imessage. When this switch is turned on the phone will try to send imessage for a few seconds and then revert to SMS and send it through the carriers network as a normal text. After a couple of days the phone will realize that the number is no longer an imessage number and will just send SMS by default.

The long and short of this when switching to BlackBerry or any other non Apple platform from an iphone, have your iphone friends toggle that setting to "on" and the problem will disappear. You will also have to turn off imessage on your old phone because if it is turned on and you old phone is being used as an ipod, imessage will default to it and bypass your new/current phone.

It's a screwed up way too have to deal with it and it takes everyone involved to accomplish but it is what it is. To be honest an iphone user should have that setting turned on anyway. If the iphone user they are trying to contact is in a bad data area they wont get the message either until they are back in a good reception area, possibly to late to be of any good to them.

Anyway my 2 cents for what its worth and hopefully it will help some folks out and maybe even save some BB10 devices from the return bin.
    03-30-14 01:32 PM
    Yes, iMessage is still "catching" the texts. Here's the CB article on it from last year:

Apple doesn't want to let customers return to BlackBerry easily | CrackBerry.com

The important bit:
    Follow these steps
    1. ... Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
    2. Log in with their Apple ID.
    3. Click on “edit products”
    4. Click on the “x” to the right of the product.
    5. Click “unregister”
    03-30-14 04:24 PM
    Yes, iMessage is still "catching" the texts. Here's the CB article on it from last year:

Apple doesn't want to let customers return to BlackBerry easily | CrackBerry.com

The important bit:
    True, but wont that stop you from using it as an ipod and being able to download apps. There are some that I have no choice but to use for search and rescue activities. One for example is "Foxhunt Pro", that I use with wifi from my Z10. It's an ios only app and my wing uses it for triangulating emergency locator beacons.
    03-30-14 04:42 PM
    True, but wont that stop you from using it as an ipod and being able to download apps. There are some that I have no choice but to use for search and rescue activities. One for example is "Foxhunt Pro", that I use with wifi from my Z10. It's an ios only app and my wing uses it for triangulating emergency locator beacons.

Possibly, you might want to direct that question to apple support.
    03-30-14 05:10 PM
    Deregistering from iMessage isn't the same thing as reauthorizing the device. . . it just takes the device off iMessage. Put another way, the ability to download and use apps is not dependent upon the device being registered to accept iMessages.
    03-30-14 05:13 PM
    If anyone needs a hand on this let me know. I have it down to a science.

Guess my device. "It has keys"
    03-30-14 06:58 PM
    Best way to get rid if it for sure is to call Apple and tell them to turn of iMessage for the number you want it turned off for. The registration method doesn't always work nor does send as SMS.
    03-30-14 07:04 PM
    You've got to turn off Imessage and sometimes even enter a fake phone number on the iPhone before you wipe it or stop using it.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 08:50 PM
    Install BBM on her phone while you're at it, much better than typical sms
    03-30-14 09:48 PM