no.. they dont. if your having to reboot a computer daily.. theres something seriously wrong with that computer(s). if that was the case the internet wouldnt be up for very long.

my file server.. almost 2 years uptime, and thats with updating it too (i love linux).
    my wifes pc has been up for over a month strait right now.
    and my pc gets dual booted so its up time can vary.
    I remember back in the day being told that you must shut down your computer daily.....I don't even remember the rationale for it.

I'v owned my desktop for two years and only shut it down for cleaning....which is about once a week, since I have dogs and hair is EVERYWHERE.
    02-23-08 08:26 AM
    I work in a place where there is more than 100 computers connected to the same network server and they go crazy all the time which is why we always have to shut them down and back on so that they can work properly again...it always works and we are told to do this by people who have been working with computers for years so i guess i would figure they know what they're talking about...I dont know
    Last edited by NewBerry320; 02-23-08 at 08:53 AM.
    02-23-08 08:50 AM
    Anyone, one of the girls said something about having to turn off the BB for about 15 minutes once every two weeks to allow it time to reset so the internal computer can receive messages correctly.
    Actually most carriers suggest turning your phone off once a day to refresh your connection with your carrier's network. This is pretty basic.

I turn my phone off when I go to bed at night.

In the morning, I turn my phone on and then dump my browser cache. Then I dump my phone log (alt + lglg). Then I pull my battery. Then I wipe my phone down with Windex and I'm good to go for the day.
    02-23-08 01:57 PM
    I remember back in the day being told that you must shut down your computer daily.....I don't even remember the rationale for it.

I'v owned my desktop for two years and only shut it down for cleaning....which is about once a week, since I have dogs and hair is EVERYWHERE.
    with windows 95/98 they had problems with memory management, and after you closed a program it wouldnt free up the ram like it should, an inherent flaw in the OS. there was also a greater problem with the OS that required it to be restarted at least once a month due to timing issues, again mainly memory related.

I work in a place where there is more than 100 computers connected to the same network server and they go crazy all the time which is why we always have to shut them down and back on so that they can work properly again...it always works and we are told to do this by people who have been working with computers for years so i guess i would figure they know what they're talking about...I dont know
    what OS is your work running? sounds like either the software applications being run are shoddy/flakey, or you have an IT department who doesnt know how to setup pc/software properly
    02-23-08 02:17 PM
    Wow, if I was a blond, I'd be really insulted.....
    I'm sure she was only kidding. Ha Ha!
    02-23-08 04:27 PM
    It's a ... smartphone with a clean, basic file structure... The possibility that a BlackBerry device will need defragging is pretty unlikely, ...
    Actually, the fact that it has a simple, basic file structure makes it even more phone to needing defragging. There is no sophistocated mechanism in the device to prevent fragmentation from accumulating. When I checked my memory card, I found that the files were "40% fragmented".

The worst were the BBThumbs.dat files that contain thumbnail images for graphic files. Every time you add a new picture, this file gets extended, causing fragmentation. The worst was in the Empower Mail Viewer's EMVCache folder. Since late December this folder has accumulated over 1400 files and the thumb file was split into 99 fragments.

I defragmented everything, but I also decided to get rid of most of the files. A cache speeds things up to a point, but then it takes longer to look through the cache than to re-download the file. It seems that there is no automated way for the EMV to delete older files.
    02-26-08 09:35 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD