True but besides features unique to Blackberry, what does Blackberry have that iPhone doesn't or can do better?
    Here is my short list of things that I think BlackBerry does better:
    Email- hands down for easy set-up and push notification. I've tried to set-up multiple email accounts on my iTouch with huge frustration...

Calendar- Go to a Mac store this week and try to create a calendar item on an iPhone...quickly.

Portrait to Landscape mode- with almost all the BB core apps, and most 3rd party apps, when I tip my Storm 2 from portrait to landscape, I can start typing with two thumbs quickly because nothing changes but the size of the screen; i.e. in the music player, the stop/pause buttons are still oriented to the bottom. Try that with the music player on the iPhone or even the ical app. Maybe I'm too OCD, but I do most of my text entry and navigating with 2 hands and want the app to orient in that direction right away when I turn my phone...not one or two screens in.

BB plays nice with google sync and most google apps- I'm a heavy google calendar/email/voice user. I have a me.com account and I've really tried to make the iCal sync and work with out swearing at a double contact or calendar entry on my Mac address book...all my important contact data is now on my phone and easily accessible online with google sync.

Shortcut keys- I think I would be frustrated if I was typing a text on my iPhone, or playing Angry Birds and saw an opportunity to take a picture and missed the shot because i had to click through 2 buttons and swipe a screen to access my camera app (maybe there is a shortcut i don't know about...). I can be in any app on my Storm 2, press the shortcut key i've assigned to my BB camera and I'll get the shot.

Mass storage- I would really miss being able to access music/docs/pictures via USB. Drag and drop.

Battery- yes the battery life on the Storm 2 sucks, but I can carry an extra battery when I travel. Not so iPhone.

After some thought about this, I don't think I can give these up for a Verizon iPhone...even though I think the iPhone is cool, I would give up daily productivity for cool. Makes me sad, but I'm sticking with BlackBerry and will wait for the next touch screen Storm.
    01-13-11 10:37 PM
    It could just be my storm 2 (I wouldn't doubt it...) but going from portrait to landscape on that thing is downright painful no matter what I'm doing. Even after battery pulls and fresh OS installs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 10:43 PM
    Here is my short list of things that I think BlackBerry does better:
    Email- hands down for easy set-up and push notification. I've tried to set-up multiple email accounts on my iTouch with huge frustration...
    ..and you didn't set up your emails as an exchange mail account, which would have sold your push mail notifications. /edit/-nevermind, you are using an ipod touch, not an actual phone. That's not the same.

Portrait to Landscape mode- with almost all the BB core apps, and most 3rd party apps, when I tip my Storm 2 from portrait to landscape, I can start typing with two thumbs quickly because nothing changes but the size of the screen; i.e. in the music player, the stop/pause buttons are still oriented to the bottom Try that with the music player on the iPhone or even the ical app. Maybe I'm too OCD, but I do most of my text entry and navigating with 2 hands and want the app to orient in that direction right away when I turn my phone...not one or two screens in..
    are you trying to say, that the iphone 4 has a worse motion and orientation detection than a BB? LOL!
    Or were you using an old iphone?

BB plays nice with google sync and most google apps- I'm a heavy google calendar/email/voice user. I have a me.com account and I've really tried to make the iCal sync and work with out swearing at a double contact or calendar entry on my Mac address book...all my important contact data is now on my phone and easily accessible online with google sync.
    works just fine on the iphone. I have a live mail and gmail set up (both) as exchange accounts and just works out fine, having one of them set up to use the calendars and contacts (wirelessly). Oh wait, you were using an ipod touch? That's not an iphone and it should not be compared. There is a reason why the ipod touch costs 200 dollars, while an iphone 4 is 500-600 or more , even on ebay.

Shortcut keys- I think I would be frustrated if I was typing a text on my iPhone, or playing Angry Birds and saw an opportunity to take a picture and missed the shot because i had to click through 2 buttons and swipe a screen to access my camera app (maybe there is a shortcut i don't know about...). I can be in any app on my Storm 2, press the shortcut key i've assigned to my BB camera and I'll get the shot.
    The lack of shortcut key for the camera perhaps sucks for the iphone, granted, but it takes 2 quick taps on the home button to have the camera displayed underneath in a row. I just tested it, it took me about 2 seconds to switch to the camera from angry birds.

Mass storage- I would really miss being able to access music/docs/pictures via USB. Drag and drop.
    You can still drag and drop pictures on Iphone using a USB, never getting into itunes at all.
    For music, you will need itunes, but if you truly can stand it, mediamonkey also works with the iphone4.

Battery- yes the battery life on the Storm 2 sucks, but I can carry an extra battery when I travel. Not so iPhone.
    There are plenty of alternatives, such as the new energizer iphone case, which packs a recharge unit for the extra juice. There are plenty of other alternatives as well.

After some thought about this, I don't think I can give these up for a Verizon iPhone...even though I think the iPhone is cool, I would give up daily productivity for cool. Makes me sad, but I'm sticking with BlackBerry and will wait for the next touch screen Storm.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Shodan775; 01-13-11 at 11:02 PM.
    01-13-11 10:57 PM
    This seems to be the sentiments of many BB owners and seems to be an increasing trend.
    I get so frustrated/angry that it seems that whenever a new BB comes out, its always GSM. I have Verizon, because it provides the best coverage in my area. I would have LOVED a device like the 8900 or even the 9700 (its just smaller than the 9650).
    01-13-11 11:41 PM
    It's actually quite fast and easy if you use backup and restore on your BB desktop manager. It transfers over ALL of your info.
    Which, again, I have on the SGS and Kies.

I just didn't have to send out requests for everyone to readd me to their BBM because the PIN changed, or log into the BIS to change my PIN there so I got my email.

Which is what the poster was saying, not the contacts.

As far as battery, my SGS has been unplugged since 10am this morning (I'm off work sick today so I slept in). It's now 1:18 am and I am at 45%, and that's with email, facebook, texts and Angry Birds today. I'd say that is pretty reasonable.

LED - I don't miss it on the SGS. My DZ had it, and it was nice, but I still don't miss it since going back. That stupid LED makes you a slave to it - you are constantly looking at the phone and if it's blinking you absolutely MUST check the phone. It's like Pavlovs Bell.

@DRussert - the OP brought Android into it when he compared to the DINC in the first place. It's not like Android just miraculously came up...in fact I am a little surprised the OP compared it to a phone he has never, ever owned. That is even worse, to pass judgement on a platform you haven't used. At least he used an Incredible. It would be like me saying all the reasons I will never use a Nokia, having never owned a Nokia smartphone and just going by things I read.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 01-14-11 at 12:24 AM.
    01-14-11 12:16 AM
    I have a bold for work and my company is thinking of switching to iphone now that its coming to verizon. Honestly I'm not really thrilled with using the iphone as my work device because calender and sync are important to me and blackberry does this very well.
    01-14-11 12:56 AM
    I have a bold for work and my company is thinking of switching to iphone now that its coming to verizon. Honestly I'm not really thrilled with using the iphone as my work device because calender and sync are important to me and blackberry does this very well.
    what is the business need that is driving this decission?
    01-14-11 01:39 AM
    I second that motion.

my Reasons why I would never Leave Blackberry for an iPhone

-> iTunes

-> No Physical keyboard

-> iTunes

-> Non standard Charge point

-> iTunes

-> Lack of Drag & Drop / Mass storage mode
    01-14-11 02:29 AM
    what is the business need that is driving this decission?
    He works for Apple.

01-14-11 03:07 AM
    iPhone text notification pop up.

Is it absurd that this is the only reason stopping me from getting the iPhone? I send about 4000 texts a month.
    01-14-11 07:27 AM
    You shouldn't have to compare it to Android since this thread was about why you wouldn't switch to an iPhone, but unfortunately on this site Android users make Apple users seem tame and shy about their products.

NOW, your torch will NEVER be able to use 128MB MicroSD cards because they wont be Standard SDHC cards which goes to 32GB, SDXC will go from 64GB to 2TB

apart from that, fair list
    I know I shouldn't have to compare it to Android, I was just setting up defenses because I'd been in these forums before...

I stand corrected, I knew you could plug any SDHC card in regardless of size, so I clearly made an incorrect assumption.
    01-14-11 09:19 AM
    It could just be my storm 2 (I wouldn't doubt it...) but going from portrait to landscape on that thing is downright painful no matter what I'm doing. Even after battery pulls and fresh OS installs.

It's gotta be....I type a lot on my S2 and this is one of the things I cherish most about it...the ease of the landscape keyboard.
    01-14-11 09:47 AM
    i just wish my curve 8530 had a better battery life. anyone know of anything i can do to make my battery last long?
    01-14-11 10:52 AM
    my distaste for iTunes can never be over emphasized!
    I hate the iPhone.
    I hate you Steve Jobs. I hate you and your pretty little dog, too.
    Now that's some good stuff right there!

I will never buy Apple products. I will, however, be dumping my BB for a Droid real soon.
    Motorola Droid Bionic has LED notifications AFAIK.
    Yeah, that new Moto Droid Bionic is looking pretty nice.
    01-14-11 12:42 PM
    mittens? want to use your keyboard with this?

I actually have typed on my keyboard in mittens like this. I've even typed with mittens like that on a Samsung Reclaim, and if you want to see a tiny ghastly keyboard, that is it. (And for anyone who says that BBs are just glorified dumbphones, they haven't used an actual dumbphone lately.) I won't say it is easy to type messages this way, nor is it quick, but it can be done. Just entering a number isn't as bad.

Oh, and I use headphones regularly. Wired because I haven't yet found a Bluetooth stereo headset that I could afford, nor have I had any Bluetooth at all whose sound was as good as a wired headset. But you can't text with voice dialing, and it's hard to use in a noisy place.
    01-14-11 02:15 PM
    For me is quite simple.

Iphone = Multimedia powerhouse
    BB = Social networking, mails, calendar, etc... basically everything regarding text, tasks, and data managment.

I have a BB Storm2 on contract, and an Ipod Touch jailbreaked, meaning I have the best of 2 worlds. I know Storm2 is not the best example of what BBs are, but still it works just great for what I want it.

Why would I never get an Iphone as my main phone??

-I hate pop-up notifications
    -The great and amazing gaming catalog on Iphone makes me end up sucking battery as crazy, and if it where my main phone, I would be left without a phone 80% of the time.
    -Multitasking in Iphone is a mere joke

Basically everything I love about Iphone, that BB lacks, I can get it from an Ipod Touch, I even sell it every year for about 60% its original cost, and investing what I would invest in getting a new battery from apple, getting the latest Ipod Touch.

Also I can get way better data plans for a BB, than those offered for Iphone. I save up to $100 a year in data plans. Even counting what I spend buying a new ipod touch every year.

So for me, as I said before, is quite simple.
    01-14-11 10:28 PM
    iPhone notifications can be modified, if you jailbreak. Many things can, but, you have to jailbreak it. Some people don't feel comfortable in doing this.
    01-14-11 11:17 PM
    For me is quite simple.

Iphone = Multimedia powerhouse
    BB = Social networking, mails, calendar, etc... basically everything regarding text, tasks, and data managment.

I have a BB Storm2 on contract, and an Ipod Touch jailbreaked, meaning I have the best of 2 worlds. I know Storm2 is not the best example of what BBs are, but still it works just great for what I want it.

Why would I never get an Iphone as my main phone??

-I hate pop-up notifications
    -The great and amazing gaming catalog on Iphone makes me end up sucking battery as crazy, and if it where my main phone, I would be left without a phone 80% of the time.
    -Multitasking in Iphone is a mere joke

Basically everything I love about Iphone, that BB lacks, I can get it from an Ipod Touch, I even sell it every year for about 60% its original cost, and investing what I would invest in getting a new battery from apple, getting the latest Ipod Touch.

Also I can get way better data plans for a BB, than those offered for Iphone. I save up to $100 a year in data plans. Even counting what I spend buying a new ipod touch every year.

So for me, as I said before, is quite simple.
    my wife and I also are Storm2/touch 4G users. I plan to become an Android/Touch 4G user later this spring, for an even better combined experience than the current one.
    01-15-11 10:15 AM
    'Cuz iphone sucks. That's a good enough reason for me.
    01-15-11 10:21 AM
    I would take an iphone over a blackberry!
    But I wouldn't take an iphone over a droid. nothnx!
    01-15-11 10:23 AM
    Thank you for that information packed and well reasoned post.
    01-15-11 08:42 PM
    Wow, can't remember the last time I was struck with such powerful wisdom.

I think I'll use that line at work when my boss needs a reason for something.
    01-15-11 09:25 PM
    I don't agree with the OP on the keyboard matter. The touch is 10x better than the JUNK 9700+ keyboard, its so small and a ***** to type on - i much prefer my iPhone 4 to it. The bold 9000 - awesomest keyboard EVAR, loved it i typed one handed without looking on it. Same goes for the 8800 keyboard, those were awesome.

All the new RIM stuff is just too small. I get the same answer between all my friends who went from 9000 -> 9700, 9800.

The only thing i do miss from the BB is the 'true' push email, none of this 'fetch every 10 mins' stuff.

iTunes can get pretty aggravating at times as well, and the last OS upgrade i did was a pain to do since my PC wouldnt want to let me do it... Then again the BB was the same story from time to time with the operation freezing and having to use BBSAK to revive it and start over.

Other than that, i get amazing battery life on my iPhone 4. I have it on all day long, fetching emails, etc. It has been on and not used for 12 hours now and battery went down a whole 10%... My BB's of the past would be down a good half battery by now.

iPhone text notification pop up.

Is it absurd that this is the only reason stopping me from getting the iPhone? I send about 4000 texts a month.
    Change the notifications options...
    01-16-11 01:18 PM
    I would never buy an Iphone... Droid Bionic, well thats a different story all together
    01-16-11 01:27 PM
    Thank you for that information packed and well reasoned post.
    Isn't it enough that that comment represents his opinion on the subject? Does he need to recite chapter and verse all the of the reasons for that comment. I prefer the succinct to the wordy response that ends up sounding more like defensive posturing against those who'll surely disagree. For many, it's enough to say that "x sucks". Are you really interested in WHY they feel that way? I could see you wanting to know, if YOUR purchase decision was going to be based somewhat on their opinion, but you and I both know that isn't the case. So, let it be.
    01-16-11 01:30 PM
168 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD